Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diaper Science Experiment

Default Diaper Science Experiment

I saw this on a kids science program and have been dying to try it. The host openned a baby diaper and a bunch of of the 'diaper sand' poured out. He explained that it was called 'polyacrylate' and could absorb thousands of times its own weight in water. He put whatever fell out of the diaper into a clear 2qt softdrink pitcher. He then poured in 2qts of colored water and stirred. He stopped stirring and talked about the uses of polyacrylate. After a bit he picked up the pitcher and turned it upside down over one of the kid's head. The liquid had turned into a gelatin that would not come out of the pitcher. It was pretty cool.

I am going to try this when I have some private time and I'll let you all know how it goes!

That's interesting, please do tell how it goes.

Maybe something cheap? I wouldn't waste a bambino on that.

I've tried it. It was pretty cool, although without the color added to it.

Wait, where van you buy that?

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

Cna not van

I once used polyacrylate to pull a prank on my friend in a restaurant. He always got water with no ice, and everyone made fun of him for it, when he got up to go to the bathroom and I poured some into his drink X3 when he got back his drink was clear jello XD

Quote Originally Posted by Somethingdifferent View Post
    Wait, where van you buy that?
    You can buy a bottle of it here.

Quote Originally Posted by puffybottom View Post
    He explained that it was called 'polyacrylate' and could absorb thousands of times its own weight in water.

I used this experiment as an excuse when my mom found a few dapper dans in my drawer. One-time excuse but it worked well enough.

I poured gasoline on my diaper fluff (sodium polyacrylate) once. It acts pretty much the same as alcohol on calcium acetate (California Snowball). My chemistry teacher let us play with fire all the time

Did anyone else look at the MSDS for this stuff?

This material is not considered hazardous.

This material is considered hazardous by the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard
    Kind of contradictory, though I guess different organizations have different standards...

Immediately flush skin with excess water for 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing.
    Apparently we should change out of our diapers as soon as we put them on.

Toxicology Information: Skin: Redness, itching.
    Otherwise known as diaper rash.