Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel I should try and learn other languages..

Default I feel I should try and learn other languages..

Ok I've been trying to learn some other languages for a while now and ended up stoping when I went off to basic. As of late I thought I would have another go at it. Not sure if it's the right thing to feel but like when I go into a Spanish speaking business I should speak to them in their language since I would expect the same if they came into a place of mine. I think I'm going to keep on with Spanish and when I get that I would really like to learn a functional ammount of mandarin. Right now the Rosetta stone thing seems to work well with helping me learn spanish so hopefully it works for mandarin as well. With mandarin though I'm wondering how close it is to any other languages.

Guess this is more of a blog post but meh lol.

Learning a language that is very different from your L1, or any L2 you might have learned, is obviously harder. English and Spanish are quite different, but both share a lot of stems, since Latin (and, to a degree, Ancient Greek) has been a heavy influence on both language (more so Spanish). Learning German, French, Portuguese or Italian should be much easier that learning Mandarin. Except for recent words, or concepts that where foreign to China until they contacted Europeans, everything in Mandarin will be completely new, and the writing system is fundamental different that the Latin alphabet. That said, Mandarin is not unlearnable (and many stems in Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese come from various Chinese languages), so you shouldn't be discouraged, however Mandarin should take you more time to learn that Spanish did/will.

In any case, good luck whit Spanish and Mandarin (et, qui sait, peut-être un jour le français ?).

Yeah Spanish has lots and lots of cognitives. SPanish definitely has come fun stuff going on. The gender of the subject augments the ajective. And theres 4 ways to say the particle "the" as well as "and". Don't forget thos lovely accents.

Espanol es un lenguaje complicado a aprender si tu primer lenguaje es ingles. Pero ingles es mas complicado porque los tensos y los conjugaciones de verbos en ingles son muy differente cuando tu miras en el presente comparado al paso o el futuro. Pero porque en este tiempo de dia donde los hispanos como yo somos un numero fuerte en los Estados Unidos apprendiendo espanol es un paso que para mi yo veo que puede ser vien util para ti con tus estudios. Buena suerte!!!

I apologize for any spelling issues but as a fluent speaker of Spanish as well as English spelling and writing are the things I didn't learn of this when I grew up. XD

My daughter has been learning Mandarin and Japanese with Rosetta Stone. She's progressed really well so far. She wants to get Spanish next because of wanting to work in the medical field. She figures the more fluent she is in languages it will be a plus for her landing a good job. She also likes to learn different languages just for the enjoyment of it.

One of these days I'd like to re-learn German, and perhaps do much better with it than I did in HS where I barely squeaked by!

~Pramrider

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar View Post
    Yeah Spanish has lots and lots of cognitives. SPanish definitely has come fun stuff going on. The gender of the subject augments the verb. And theres 4 ways to say the particle "the" as well as "and". Don't forget thos lovely accents.
    Bah, genders, accents and verbs are a piece of cake (if you're L1 is a Latin language, that is ^^).

Seriously, tough, I can understand why people struggle whit genders (totally nonsensical if you where not brought up whit it) and verbs (a pain to learn, even if its your first language), but accents? It's pretty much only used as a sound modifier or for homophones, and the odd word (Noël).

Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    Espanol es un lenguaje complicado a aprender si tu primer lenguaje es ingles. Pero ingles es mas complicado porque los tensos y los conjugaciones de verbos en ingles son muy differente cuando tu miras en el presente comparado al paso o el futuro. Pero porque en este tiempo de dia donde los hispanos como yo somos un numero fuerte en los Estados Unidos apprendiendo espanol es un paso que para mi yo veo que puede ser vien util para ti con tus estudios. Buena suerte!!!
    French and a semester of Spanish in high school is all I needed to read and understand this ^^'.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar View Post
    Yeah Spanish has lots and lots of cognitives. SPanish definitely has come fun stuff going on. The gender of the subject augments the ajective. And theres 4 ways to say the particle "the" as well as "and". Don't forget thos lovely accents.
    Just four definite articles in Spanish? That's nothing! In German, we have 4 cases, 1 plural and 3 genders. so that's (3+1)x4 = 16 different definite articles (i.e. variations of the English "the"). Granted, some of them are the same, but that still leaves you with roughly 10 different ones (I've never counted them). And the same applies to the indefinite article (the English "a"/"an").
    Fun times!

Still, the general structure of the German language is not very different from the structure of English, as English is merely a derivative of German (it's classified as Germanic). As such, learning Roman languages (French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian etc.) is a different language group. Obviously, you can deviate even further to Slavic languages (e.g. Russian), Arabic or Asian languages. You'll probably encounter concepts that you don't find in any of the other "Western" languages.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    In German, we have 4 cases, 1 plural and 3 genders. so that's (3+1)x4 = 16 different definite articles (i.e. variations of the English "the"). Granted, some of them are the same, but that still leaves you with roughly 10 different ones (I've never counted them). And the same applies to the indefinite article (the English "a"/"an").
    Fun times!
    Ahhh...Peachy, you just brought back a flood of memories on how I struggled each school day through German class! Back then, we had a choice in junior high school of either German, French, Spanish, or Latin. The engineering high school I wanted to attend only taught German and French. Out of the two, I thought German would be easier to master plus I had some German blood in me from my mother's side of the family. Figured it might be the little extra internal help needed to get through the class! Maybe it was - I might have flunked out otherwise.

~Pramrider

Pram,
    That's something else im thinking because im starting nursing school this year. Right now if anything i should probably have a functional knowledge of spanish. Also, although i couldn't put all of that together in my head TK i was able to read it, as fractured as it came out on my end :p