Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Secure" internet browsing

Default "Secure" internet browsing

I couldn't find anything similar posted, so I thought I'd ask, what do you guys do to browse sites like this privately, and what do you have to protect against?

ie. browser clearing to remove local data, bypassing parental controls, preventing router/DNS logging, etc.

Me:
    I still live at home, but I have two computers for myself, and I'm the only one that deals with the router, so my main concern is not leaving local traces: history, cookies, and cache files that someone might stumble into if they're using my computer. On my macbook pro, I like to use Safari's private browsing feature, and on my linux box, I'll use Chrome's incognito browsing windows. I have used proxies and tor routing before, but I figured that's overkill for what I need. My biggest risk is probably just someone walking into the room while I'm browsing. Solution: nothing fancy, I just keep a really big window with something boring on it (quantum chemistry results files do the trick nicely) behind the browser window that I can click on quickly.

Uh...I just use my own computer that no one else has access to. I checked for monitoring software on the router, and it has none. My dad has tried threatening to start tracking my stuff, but I know he won't. For traces, I use 3-pass deletion method with CCleaner or incognito mode if I think about it. My biggest security hole is in fact the locked heavy gym bag with my diapers in it.

I have a 1 GB encrypted file, hidden and disguised, which contains all my TB stuff. Included in it is a portable version of the browser Avant, which is what I use to browse any TB related sites.

My own computer with a private log in, and google chrome in incognito when I want "secure." Like right now for example. This is definitely in the incognito window.

I also have the settings so that it asks me if I want to set a certain cookie whenever a new one shows up. After the first day or so, it gets much less annoying.

I just use the private browsing feature on firefox 3.6. No one at my house knows how to do anything with the router so that's all I really need.

My parents haven't been nosy since I was 12. Then they installed a parental control program, that ran as an IE toolbar. I used Opera at the time.

Nowadays, I just restrict my TB browsing to Linux and rely on the fact that it's passworded, and no one in my family knows how to use it anyway. I also keep programming code in another virtual desktop, and switch to that with the keyboard if anyone comes in.

Spearmint

There is actually this really cool thing called TOR (google that) or The Onion Router. It was in a book i was reading. It allows you to browse anonymously, and apparently allows you to bypass firewalls for things like schools. It won't protect you from your parents, but It's pretty cool. I'm trying it out right now.

EDIT: It works, and its pretty awesome. Apparently, I live near topeka, according to those annoying little signature IP finders.

OOOO ANOTHER EDIT: I would also like to point out that even if you are using firefox normally and with TOR, they are seperate browsers, with seperate history, folders, bookmarks, ect. It is a little slower because of the encrypting, but it's worth it to have an incredibly secure and private browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetaluver View Post
    There is actually this really cool thing called TOR (google that) or The Onion Router. It was in a book i was reading. It allows you to browse anonymously, and apparently allows you to bypass firewalls for things like schools. It won't protect you from your parents, but It's pretty cool. I'm trying it out right now.

EDIT: It works, and its pretty awesome. Apparently, I live near topeka, according to those annoying little signature IP finders.

OOOO ANOTHER EDIT: I would also like to point out that even if you are using firefox normally and with TOR, they are seperate browsers, with seperate history, folders, bookmarks, ect. It is a little slower because of the encrypting, but it's worth it to have an incredibly secure and private browser.
    Would this book, by any chance, be Little Brother?

Spearmint

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    Would this book, by any chance, be Little Brother?
    :O yes it would be! great book, and it really helped me learn more about technology and security. And by that i mean, it really made me feel like i knew alot less about technology and security than i really do.