Page 1 of 24 123451121 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about your faith.

Default Tell me about your faith.

I'm curious to hear about everybody's faith and religion on here. Lately I have been doing some serious personal soul-searching and I think what is missing out of my life is religion, or some sort of faith. I have spent most of my formative years agnostic, bouncing from one idea to the next, but as I'm getting older, and the concept of having my own family soon is not far off, I am really interested in settling down to just a few ideas. I think it could be good for me, on the inside and out. I have anger and emotional issues that I think a decent amount of faith of some sort could help me deal with better, and I also am curious in obtaining a closer relationship with God, as I think it could help not only myself, but also my relationship with Curt and my family. I dislike the idea of raising children to have no relationship with God or any idea of what faith is.

So I'm curious to hear what you believe and what you practice. It doesn't have to necessarily be a Christian religion though I think that is what I'm looking for. Who knows. But I am eager to start learning more and actually practicing. My father was Catholic and my mother was a Mormon, but neither of them have ever upheld to the standards of their religion or care much.

Please don't flame me for this. I have spent so many years on the fence and even a few where I doubted any existence of God at all, I know all the debates and I don't want this thread to be like that. I just really want to hear about the different ways people practice into their faiths.

=) thanks in advance.

Well first Annie I want to just come right out and say it.

:cryhankie: Why did you change your Avatar?!? :cryhankie:
    I loved the cute pic and am sad to see it go.

Anyway, as pertaining to my faith, I am a fundamentalist Christian, and my denomination is Southern Baptist. Now the Baptist Church is a federation or association with central leaders. Thus you have a bit of a difference between one church and another as long as they believe the core principals of the faith such as Christ being the head of the Church and the only acceptable atoning sacrifice to bring redemption and righteousness.

I looked at other faiths and denominations on my journey of faith and found the place I believe I am supposed to be. I am studying for Ministry, so to say that my faith guides my life is an understatement. There are very few things that I could not tell my Pastor and he is one of the select folks that I told about wearing diapers while I was in counseling sessions with him after my wife had an affair and left me.

I cannot adequately express how valuable my relationship to God is in my life, I would give everything, and could loose all I have and still be content in Christ. I do not say this flippantly as I've been close. I was out of work for six months with no income and my Son and I had to move in with my Mother. There are few things as humiliating as being in your 30's and having to depend on your parents to provide for your every need again. Worse still is when they have to provide for your child too since you have no further resources. Fortunately, I am able to return the favor now as I have gainful employment again and am now supporting my Mother as her unemployment benefits ran out.

As for finding a Church itself, this could potentially be a long process as you and Curt need to visit various places to find not only proper doctrine, but a Church family. The people I go to church with are not perfect, but the atmosphere is warm and inviting, the people are not judgmental, and should you become active in Sunday School or other activities you will find close friends that become members of your extended family.

Well first Annie I want to just come right out and say it.

I love your new Avatar!!!
    I love the cute pixie and am glad to see it with your username!.

It's been fun to see your growth since I've been part of ADISC. Things seem much more centered for you now then the way things seemed for you back in October of 2008.

Please don't flame me for this. I have spent so many years on the fence and even a few where I doubted any existence of God at all, I know all the debates and I don't want this thread to be like that. I just really want to hear about the different ways people practice into their faiths.

I'm glad to see you adding this kind of disclaimer as people often use these threads to duke out others beliefs and the thread becomes so mired in emotion that it becomes useless.

Belief or lack of belief (in just about anything) is a very personal matter to people. You did open the gates for people to express their faith (or lack of it for that matter).

I was raised in a church going home, (Presbyterian). My mother was raised Catholic and I always referred to our family religion as "Catholic Lite": None of the ritual - All of the guilt. (My mother's favorite rebuke to us was that "God is going to punish you for that!") My dad stopped attending church when I was in my early teens. He would fall asleep during the sermon (due to undiagnosed sleep apnea) and my mom would jab his side and say "God damn it, Ralph, wake up!"

I stopped attending church about the same time.

My teen years were pretty screwed up, but in my junior year of high school I had a significant, life changing experience with Christ which turned things around for me. While attending college with intentions of going into the ministry, I joined a local church in my college town and became very involved in service and ministry within that fellowship. This church became the center of my existence. I made major life decisions within the constraints and guidelines of that group: where I would live, where I worked, who I would date (and eventually marry).

This seemed to offer a great deal of structure for a scattered near ADHD person, but it also limited other aspects. I was with this same fellowship from 1974 to 2004 (30 years). During that time I served as an Teacher, Elder, Pastor, Worship Leader, Librarian, Musician and and Song Writer.

I left the church in the fall of 2004, two years after the leadership of the church separated me from the woman I was engaged to be married to (after a 12 year relationship).

The separation was not due to any moral infraction or impropriety. When I was asked to return the church keys, I made that event my last involvement with the fellowship.

I do not believe that I will have anything to do with organized religion for the rest of my life. A number of loved members of that fellowship have died since I left but I will not return to the church even to attend the funerals.

I now happily study the ancient beliefs of my Viking and Northern European ancestors, I find it far more interesting and just as plausible.

My wife and I share our own personal belief that when we die, we will go to the "Bunny Fields" and await the one that remains behind.

I was raised with no real 'religion' during childhood. My mom came from a Jewish background, and my dad from a Catholic. We celebrated holidays from each respective religion, but there was no real 'faith/spiritual' element of it all. When I was 16, I started doing some of my own 'research' to find out what I believed. I was having a few personal issues, and like you mentioned Anna, I needed something in my life.

After attending an Easter Mass with my Dad, I felt something really strong. To this day, I'm not sure what it was, but it was a turning point for me. I told my parents I wanted to become Catholic, so I started going to classes. They lasted about a year and on the following Easter, I was baptized, received first communion, and confirmed all on the same night.

I am not 'super religious' at all (whatever that means), but I'd say I'm pretty strong with my faith. I understand having faith can be hard for some, but agnosticism is too easy in my opinion.

My Dad would make me attend church with him and my sister on Sundays when I wanted to be out with my friends before the school week started when I was a kid. I never took it seriously mainly because I didn't understand it. I went to church from ages 10-14 and after that my Dad stopped going so I stopped going.

I didn't think God was of any use to me so I pretty much shut him out of my life and I sat on the fence of whether there really was a God or not. This went on from when I was 14 all the way to 24. I am now 25 years old. I have a buddy of mine that is a Christian and he would not shut up about what God can do for me. I listened to him and heard what he had to say. I then started losing faith in my fellow man so I decided to turn back to God and put him back in my life. I was baptized when I was 11 but really didn't understand what it meant. I plan to be baptized again really soon.

I am not a perfect Christian and there are many things I have said and done that God does not agree with. I have been feeling better about myself since I put God back in my life and I truly believe Jesus will be back. The book of Revelation has described many things that have recently happened and it just makes too much sense to ignore it. I am sure there are many others who will disagree with this but I have my beliefs.

God Bless America!

Back in the day, I was hard-core catholic. I mean, I was an alter boy and everything. I was damn proud of it too. Carrying this huge cross up to the alter every sunday was my time to shine. Then I lost interest and eventually stopped going to church.

Today, I practice Dudeism. My mantra is "go with the flow". My philosophy is to see where the night takes me. My prayers are about taking it easy. And my faith is that a cold beer will be waiting for me after a hard week.

Butterfly Mage

My original religious background was Catholic. My mom was a Catholic and was made very unhappy by the Church (she was excommunicated for divorcing my dad [a sociopath] and remarrying).

In college, I was a member of the assemblies of God for several years. I liked the fact that their worship services seemed to call forth a lot of spiritual energy. But I did not agree with many of their moral doctrines. For example, I do not think a divorced person should be excluded from ministry, nor do I believe that Jesus cannot love homosexuals. I also did not believe that speaking in tongues was necessary for salvation. Oddly enough, I was expelled from the Assemblies of God not for being gay, but because I had a mental illness. The leadership believed that having a dissociative disorder meant that I had too little faith to overcome it by prayer alone.

I was an Episcopalian for several years. During that time, my liking of Christianity gradually dwindled. I saw Christianity become ever more entangled with rightwing political causes (particular in the venues of gay rights and women's reproductive rights). I found it offensive that the Christian Churches seemed bent on making people like me feel like second-class citizens and making people like me feel that God does not love me.

I had a religious experience a few years ago that changed my life in a profound way. One of my friends was a Wiccan and she died of cancer. But the day before she died, she did something -- I still have no idea what -- that somehow made it seem like some of her innate goodness, kindness, and gentleness was somehow transferred to me. I don't know how or why. But I can't deny that it happened. Some aspect of her transcended death and is still part of my being.

I have been a Wiccan since then.

I find Wicca to be a very compatible religion for me.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord: Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell; the third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven, is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.

Well if you didn't guess it already I'm Roman Catholic, and that is what I believe in. In practice I try and live a life according to what Jesus taught, although that is easier said then done. I study theology and philosophy to better understand my faith. I go to Mass on Sunday, and usually once during the week. I pray daily in the morning, and I say the rosary at night. I try and include or relate God in every aspect of my life that includes being an AB/DL.

I was born and raised as a Roman Catholic, but I never really considered myself a Christian. I really didn't believe in anything for most of my life. Church was just something that my parents made me do, and I thought it was stupid because I was told to take everything on faith which wasn't good enough for me. It wasn't until I went to college and took philosophy for the first time that I realize the true power of Reason. If you use Reason to understand the world then you can understand religion, and then you can make an educated decision about what religion is right for you.

So Annie instead of looking at the different religious texts of the world go read works of Plato, Aristotle, St. Augustine of Hippo, St. Thomas Aquinas, Thomas Hobbes, John Locke, Immanuel Kant, Peter Singer, or any great thinker of past or present. Now I don't know how much philosophical studying you've done, but with an understanding of philosophy you can better understand religion and then even debate issues and beliefs in your own religion. For instance I'm Roman Catholic but I disagree on the Church's teaching on Sex, and I debate my view with the my friends in the Seminary all the time. Its only because I understand and can use philosophy in debate that I'm able to reason out why my religion's teaching is wrong. Once you have a grounded understanding in philosophy then you can start fudging with your own religion's teachings, and that's really fun to do.

You can still just take a religion on faith and that's fine. Most of the people of the world do just that and are perfectly happy doing so. However, you seem to be looking for something more in life so unless you have already read into philosophy I would suggest reading Plato's works(probably the world's most famous philosopher) and St. Augustine's Confessions (probably the greatest Christian philosopher ever and my favorite philosopher). If you do have understanding of philosophy then you should start checking out different religions. Talk to leaders from different churches (Priests, Rabbis, Priestess, Preachers, Monks, and etc) and try and get different view points from different faiths.

I hope you find the right religion for you Annie whatever that might be.

Of course right religion should be Catholicism. JK

I'm am mostly atheist somewhat agnostic.

My mom was the church goer. She dragged the rest of us to what ever church she was attending. Right now my mom still clings solidly to whatever new fangled religion she has found at the moment. It's bizarre to watch.

I few years back I stopped believing in Christianity. Right now I wonder how it is possible with all the religions there are or ever where how Christianity could be the religion with all the right answers.

I've had my on unusual experiences and I know of the unusual experiences other people have. I also know that peoples unusual experiences happen when they are in all different sorts of religions. To me these unusual experiences offer a glimpse into a rarely seen reality.

So to me their may be a God. I'm pretty certain (99.99%) sure if there is a God that God is not described by the Christian religion or any other religion.

I am also a Roman Catholic, and although I try to obey the rules of the Church, that's not what it's about for me. What I find in religion is a loving relationship with God. I see Him not as a fire-and-brimstone, gay-hating, war-loving god, but as a god who loves and forgives. I wish you luck and applaud you for your effort in looking for God.