Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a challange to the users of ADISC

Default I have a challange to the users of ADISC

Design a computer build(Do not actually build it.) For three types of users.

Basis use: Browse Internet, MSN, Mail, Simple/old games.
    Max 400$
    Moderate use: Internet, Game programs low settings, Livestream running, and all that
    Max 700$
    Heavy usage: Gaming medium settings, Graphic design, Web site design, Running multiple software at one time.
    Max 900$
    Really heavy: Gameing on max, Grapic design with no lag while running other programs.
    No max.

Rules:
    1. Each computer should contain a Monitor, Speakers, mouse and key board,
    2. You can fall under the budget But please do not go over.
    3. Give reasons why you designed it the way you did. Why you chose the parts and all that.
    4. The parts would have to work together if you were you build it one day.

I want to see who can come up with the best cost=Function Build for each level.

#1 and #2 shouldn't be hard. I routinely buy a $200 desktops for various purposes off woot.com etc... Thrown in a < $100 15" flat panel and there you go.

You may be dreaming on #4, to get up to the better games is going to run into graphics cards that are going to cost more than you budgetted for your entire machines.

Error404

Why does this sound more like you trying to get us to do your coursework/homework?

would you like a cost breakdown and sources for parts?

the first 2 are easy as they're pretty much blueprinted off my old systems. if you know how to source parts properly on the internet you get things for a steal.
    Last edited by leffykit; 30-Mar-2010 at 14:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
    Why does this sound more like you trying to get us to do your coursework/homework?
    Yeah, I feel this way too. This is a very common assignment in the beginning computer classes when you are going for that sort of degree. My roommate is doing this right now. While it is a very interesting assignment, finding it here makes me wonder if you're just wanting to use the group to get the project started or even completed for you.

babyjhonny

OK simple

im actually going to start on 4 cause i know more about the high end systems then the older ones.

your going to want a Paralel prosesing system, im also going to sugest you do this one in cluster rather than in a single case since there is no max price for 4. Prosessor moduals for paralel prosessing Nvidia Telsa GPU x 256 / 64 / 32 / 4 Thats 256 GPU cards (not for the graphics) devided in to 64 boards on 32 frames in 4 cases. The 64 boards will be PCIE controllers each board would contain 2 tracks and each board would slot in to the frame wich is essentially a larger pcie controller wich is made for pcie controller boards. By building the 4th system around paralell prosessing like this you can get prosessing speeds of up to 32.6Therz. Cooling is an essential part of this system as the heat genirated would be hot enough to fry an egg on the floor. A liquid nitrogen cooled air conditioning system will be requierd in the prosessing room.

Memory

Random Access

4 Tb of Random Access memory will be required for the advanced graphics rendering and texturising as well as other aplications you may want to run. You will need use DIMM controllers for the ram and each controller board should have no more then 32 channels on it. I would recomend geting the dual chanal DIMM contoller boards so you can use the 8GB Ram cards and you will need 1073741824 of them in order to reach the 4Tb mark. wich means you will need 67108.864 controller boards, 33554.432 cabels 512 rack cabinets

(Ram can be bought in data blocks per the Tb (Govermeant legislation, confidentiality and restrictions apply.)Warning i dont recomend buying it like this)

Data Storage

I will leave that up to you but i would say you may as well go for 500 TB wich would be 1 room on 500 hitachi 1 TB Hdd in cabinets

MASTER PROSESER

the master proseser is requierd to contoll the paralell prosessers and to boot the system, this would be a simple dual quad I7 setup aka the latest mobo with support for 2 quad i7 cpu die, 4 gig of ram, a graphics card (any as this is just the boot server and will not run the games just make shure it is PCIE) network card with PXE support, CD rom drive and a 160Gb HDD all in a case and you have your master prosesser. we will come back to this in a bit.

POWER

ok your going to want a high voltage power supply 4400 at least so you need a lisence for that, you need a high voltage ceramic insulated transformer equipped with an electrolytic oil based circuit breaker, High Voltage Power regulation equipmeant equiped with dynamic mode switching ceramic insulation and tri-phase compatability, High Voltage step down step up transformers insulated with ceramic and equiped with an electrolytic oil based circuit breaker. I recomend speaking your local electrical supplyer about permits and things as i am not an expert or a huge geek when it comes to high voltage over 3000 so i wouldent know how the power equipment would fit together, but that kind of current jumps. part 2 soon

I had a class like this once...

Dude... not cool...

I've built several hundred computers.. I used to be big in selling pre-built/custom systems.. Don't do it anymore though.

Had to do that for my Computer systems tech class in my jr. year.

eeh, whether or not it's an assignment for him or not i'm still interested in seeing the results lol. I dont really know much about building computers xP

babyjhonny

Quote Originally Posted by spddan View Post
    Yeah, I feel this way too. This is a very common assignment in the beginning computer classes when you are going for that sort of degree. My roommate is doing this right now. While it is a very interesting assignment, finding it here makes me wonder if you're just wanting to use the group to get the project started or even completed for you.
    yea im thinking that also wich is why the awnser i gave for part 4 was based on super computing using paralel processing lol

this is not the place to get your course work done for you. Do your own home work or you will find that the computer industery is not the path for you. A lot of hard work goes in to it and if you cant cope with the paper work and hours of microsoft office working at excel formulas, vb coding in access, 10000 word essays in word or html coding in front page. The point is the hours you spend on the course work is nothing compared to the work hours you will spend when you get a job. So if you cant cope with the course work then you need a vacation. It dosent mean your no good at it, just that your pushing yourself to hard and streching yourself to far.

But do not go asking people for the awnsers to YOUR work you wont LEARN a thing.