Thread: Wrestlemania 26, UFC 111 and other weekend violence

Default Wrestlemania 26, UFC 111 and other weekend violence

Wrestlemania 26 tonight kids. If there's one thing I like, it's staged violence. I can handle that for sure. Potentially Shawn Michaels final match (at least for a while), Bret Hart totally putting Vince in the Sharpshooter (big deal if you're Canadian, and I are that), and a match between Edge and Jericho. All good stuff.

Also, UFC 111 was last night, and while GSP and Fitch aren't exactly riveting individuals with all that lay and pray stuff, it's always good to see the french dude kill somebody over 25 minutes. Also, Shane Carwin killed Frank Mir, which kinda also kills the huge money match of Brock and Frank 3 for this summer. I say they should have those two coach TUF next fall cause Brock on tv is a good thing for them. That's kinda of assuming Mir can become top contender again (he'd probably have to beat Cain... not likely I think) or Brock loses the title to Carwin and they fight for top contender spot (Carwin beating Brock seems frighteningly possible... seriously, Carwin could probably kill a bear).

Also also, for all them indy wrestling fans, there was apparently some solid ROH going on this weekend too with some gnarly hardcore Jerry Lynn matches and apparently and epic American Wolves match at some point. Dragon Gate USA ppv also got filmed, and it's was probably intense and stuff.

Good weekend if you dig shirtless people hitting each other. Everybody else wants to top Mania or something. Competition amongst these companies if totally terrific indeed.

So yeah, if any of you loverly people are digging Mania tonight, feel free to drop in, say who you think is going to win or discuss it or whatever. Or don't. I'm not sure how many folks here are into it, but whatever, you can boost your post count or something.

Wrestlemania XXVI Results

Dark: Yoshi Txdeadx won a 26 man Battle Royal

Unified Tag Team Championship Match
    ShoMiz (The Big Show and The Miz) (c) defeated John Morrison and R-Truth

Triple Threat match
    Randy Orton defeated Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase

Money in the Bank ladder match
    Jack Swagger defeated Dolph Ziggler, Shelton Benjamin, Drew McIntyre, Christian, Montel Vontavious Porter, Matt Hardy, Evan Bourne, Kofi Kingston and Kane

Triple H defeated Sheamus

Singles match; if Punk won, Mysterio would of had to join the Straight Edge Society
    Rey Mysterio defeated CM Punk (with Luke Gallows and Serena)

No Holds Barred Lumberjack Match
    Bret Hart defeated Vince McMahon

Singles match for the World Heavyweight Championship
    Chris Jericho (c) defeated Edge

10-Diva tag team match
    Michelle McCool, Layla, Maryse, Alicia Fox and Vickie Guerrero defeated Mickie James, Kelly Kelly, Eve Torres, Gail Kim and Beth Phoenix

Singles match for the WWE Championship
    John Cena defeated Batista - New Champion

No disqualification, no count-out retirement match
    (Undertaker's undefeated streak vs. Michaels' career)

The Undertaker defeated Shawn Michaels

Undertaker 18-0 Michaels career is over.

Can't take WWE seriously since I became an MMA fan.

Missed UFC111 as I was at a live MMA event locally. Looking forward to TUF starting back up this week.

WM was actually very good. Big surprises with Swagger picking up MITB and Jericho winning I think. This time last year Swagger winning would have made sense, but he's been jobbing for the last nine months so I dunno. Dude has talent so I'm not against it really, I just figure they could've put a lot more effort into him. But with a MITB-themed ppv apparently coming out in a few months, he'll probably cash it in quick and I wouldn't be surprised if he was the first dude to lose a MITB cash-in match.

Crowd really helped with Orton going face there I think. The whole Legacy falling apart hasn't been done super well, especially since it hasn't eleveated anybody to a higher place than when it started. But Orton as a face is kinda cool, and the old school pose is back. Tag team match that opened the show never got time to get going, and the finish was very weak. HHH vs. Sheamus turned out better than I thought it would. I wouldn't mind seeing these two feud for a while, just as long as they actually let Sheamus get some credible victories. They've pushed this guy hard but since Survivor Series he has had no real ppv wins really, and that's holding him back from becoming an actual threat at the top. Right now he's just a jobber to the starts and stuff. Wish Punk and Rey had got more time as they could do a lot more. Maybe on SD or at another ppv they can have a longer match. Re winning doesn't do as much for the feud as Punk winning does, and he's another dude that's over as a heel but is getting very few wins. Hopefully they extend the program for a while longer.

Bret massacring Vince was kinda weird. I realize there are some serious limitations for both dudes, but might have been cooler to have Vince get a bit of offense first before Bret came back to put him in the Sharshooter. Nobody was expecting anything outisde of ugly, but this was just a sorta sick beatdown. Jericho beating Edge was surprising. Very solid match too, and the spear through the barricade afterwards was brutal. Hope they turn Edge heel again, much more better that way. Diva's match was pretty sad and I don't really understand the point, especially when they coul'de put Beth and Michelle in a one-on-one match. Would've made sense and has actually had a few months of build. Cena and Batista was kinda sloppy and they botched a lot of stuff. These to get a lot of hate for their work, but I think they did fine here. Just could've been better. This match had some good build though, and Batista has been doing some of his better work ever as a heel. Would've been cool for a story if he went over, but Cena winning makes total sense.

Taker and HBK was one of the better matches I've ever seen. I missed their match last year so I can't really compare them, but this was off the charts. The table spot was really great, and Undertaker selling his leg like he did was impressive. These two dudes came out with insane intensity and just took it to each other. Nobody else on the card showed the energy that these guys had and they've been in the business for as long as some of the other dudes have been alive. The ending was great, with Shawn getting up, realizing he couldn't beat Taker, slapping his face off and then taking the most ridiculously twisted Tombstone ever. Taker helps him up, manly friend hug, HBK retires (bet he'll be back for sure). I know its fake but screw you judgemental people, that was freakin terrific.

So yeah, solid show indeed.

---

Also, TUF starting up is great. I'm assuming that Chuck's match with Tito might be his last, and I really want to get to Vancouver to see it. These two dudes may have been in the business for a while and this match may have been done twice, but whatever, it's cool to see again.

UFC was amazing. GSP is my sex God, haha. I'm honestly surprised Hardy didn't tap. It was kinda pissing me off. It was a no brainer that St. Pierre was going to win.... but gotta give Hardy his props for stickin' through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dailydi View Post
    Can't take WWE seriously since I became an MMA fan.
    We could the WWF/WWE ever be taken seriously? I find it hard to believe there are some people that still think's its "real" and they aren't either high or drunk. Then they get all pissed off when you tell them they are watch a soap opera with equally bad writing and acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    We could the WWF/WWE ever be taken seriously? I find it hard to believe there are some people that still think's its "real" and they aren't either high or drunk. Then they get all pissed off when you tell them they are watch a soap opera with equally bad writing and acting.
    Yeah, but most good tv isn't real. Plus real wrestling is so boring. It's not about being real man, cause that's jsut not exciting. But an undead cowboy who controls lightning fighting another sort of cowboy in a match where a legendary undefeated streak and a career are on the line is all sorts of entertaining. They may know who is going to ahead of time, that's cool. Two dudes still gonna go out and destroy each other with a bunch of gnarly-looking attacks. Totally scripted, totally pre-planned, but I don't know a ton of people who could work 50 weeks while falling down with severe style, all the while acting out ridiculous story lines and in the end it's all fairly entertaining.

Which is a really long way of saying "screw you, it's still real to me".

But for real, I got mad respect for the work these guys do. It is fake, but they still take a harsh beating out there and it's a lot of work. It may be goofy and over the top, and the tv put out by WWE and TNA is exactly terrific right now, but whatever, this dude digs it fore sure.

At least I am not like some country relatives of mine who actually make beer bets on wrestling matches. LOL. I don't cause I know it's rigged. For me, it's just good fun. I even ordered WrestleMania with my best friend and hung out.

Not a bad night overall.

WildThing121675

Anyone watch TUF last night? One heck of a broken nose!

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    At least I am not like some country relatives of mine who actually make beer bets on wrestling matches. LOL. I don't cause I know it's rigged. For me, it's just good fun. I even ordered WrestleMania with my best friend and hung out.

Not a bad night overall.

WildThing121675
    I'd be making a alot of bets, it's rare that you would lose.