Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think psychologists and psychiatrists adequately understand infantilism?

AmbezeSubHealth

Default Do you think psychologists and psychiatrists adequately understand infantilism?

The year is 2010 and we finally have this.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...050720626.html

APA Paraphilias Subworkgroup Agrees: Kinky is NOT a Diagnosis

It isn't even in the latest DSM yet. We are still dealing with kinky is a diagnoses at least according to the DSM still in use.

Seems some member of this website had an understanding mental health worker way back in 1970.

My usual expectation of the field of mental health is that it is slanted by the biases of the love of the sacred and the love of the normal. In other words it is a secular priesthood.

Do you feel most mental health workers are competent and understanding in the area AB/DL or are they incompetent and judgmental.

Seems some here have an insider view I'd like to here from them.

P.S.

I could go into all the negative things I believe are a part of the mental health profession but I'll save that for later maybe.
    Last edited by AmbezeSubHealth; 26-Mar-2010 at 23:01.

Gaomon

I'm unsure, that's a good question. Most i think arent very understanding, maybe more are supportive though because some people can not understand why but can be supportive. But i dont know much about it.

Let me put it this way. Does a computer tech guy know every single thing that has ever been involved with computers? No, but if you ask him about it he should know where to get that information. Getting into one specific fetish (which is how this is classified) is too specific to just expect everyone to instantly understand. I would like to believe that a psychology based profession would have members that are ABLE to understand Infantilism, but I don't automatically assume that all of them will know what it is right off the bat.

Why can't someone be competent AND judgemental? People can also be incompetent and non-judgemental. There is a reason there is a bias towards being "normal". "Because it works". If it didn't work, evolutionary theory states that humans would have died out.

As per psychology in general: you can't judge the science based on the people manipulating it. There are good psychologists and bad ones. If a mad scientist goes and bombs another country using his knowledge of chemistry, does that make chemistry bad? Does that also mean that all scientists are bad?

Making a blanket statement that all healthcare workers are incompetent and judgemental is a prejudiced statement.

Without your personal experiences I can't comment more.

There are not incompetent or judgemental, they have to deal with a lack of information. Very few infantilists seek medical help and when they do they are usually the extreme cases and as a result do not have the required knowledge to make an appropriate and informed diagnosis.
    And the thing you need to understand about the way the DSM works is that the functioning of the patient is done using a scale of 1 to 100 and I'm guessing for most of us here we'd be at the lower end of that scale.
    And while your right kinky is not a diagnosis but this would go under the classification of sexual/gender identity disorders.
    I'll be honest nearly every psychologist will be supportive and understanding as it's their job, they spend their life treating people and will never judge a patient based on their sexual fantasy. If they do they should lose their license to practice psychology/psychiatry.

In fairness making a blanket statement (most likely based on your personal experience) is incompetent and judgemental.

AmbezeSubHealth

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten53 View Post
    I'll be honest nearly every psychologist will be supportive and understanding as it's their job, they spend their life treating people and will never judge a patient based on their sexual fantasy. If they do they should lose their license to practice psychology/psychiatry.
    Seems it is the job in the Sex Offender Treatment Provider business to be un-supportive and judgmental. Not that those that harm others don't deserve to be punished. Just seems cruel and unusual using the science of mental health to punish people.

I know at least one psychologist who should lose his license for judging a potential patient based on a sexual fantasy and I'm not speaking of a Sex Offender Treatment Provider.

Although all health care professionals should try to be understanding and open, I don’t think this deserves as much attention by psychiatrists, as it only concerns a real minority. Fetishism does not have a “cure” and often is not much of a problem unless it was distressing the person themselves or endangering anyone around them, therefore the fetish itself is not something that psychiatrists will need to contend with.

I think that it would be more appropriate for awareness to be increased in the field of psychology though, to whom people with fetishes would most probably be referred to for cognitive behavioural therapy etc.

In conclusion: I don't think that psychologists or psychotherapists need to understand infantalism (partly 'cos you can't understand it - there's no solid evidence to support any theories surrounding fetishism!) - as they can still offer perfectly adequate support without any background knowledge on the subject! Besides this - what use what background knowledge be? It would be so vague that it could never really apply to the specific person with the fetish, as we all know that everyone is so varied in their "interests"!

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

"Do you feel most mental health workers are competent and understanding in the area AB/DL or are they incompetent and judgmental." - I can understand why it must be so difficult to understand, but I feel that all menal health workers (with medical backgrounds anyway) are very open and non-judgemental! (in the uk at least... wonder what it must be like in the states?)

Heh, I once had a therapist who tried to convince me that all of my depression issues could be solved with one "easy" fix - he suggested that I "choose to not be gay".

I only saw him twice. It was odd, having a therapist who was simultaneously fascinated and horrified of my homosexuality. That was not even what I came into his office to discuss - I am comfortable with my sexual identity, I don't need to pay somebody to tell me to change it.

Needless to say, I never got to talk about my AB side with him - and I thank God for that. I have spoken to a couple of therapists since then about it, however, and they claimed that it was not all that abnormal, given I keep the practices in the privacy of my own apartment.

I guess it all depends on what therapist / psychologist a person gets when he or she goes out looking for help. There are a lot of people out there who know what they are doing and who strive to help people - but on the other hand, there are a lot of fucking nutjobs in the field who taint the whole psychology practice with their incompetence.

Everyone of my psychologists, clinician's, etc that I told never had any knowledge of the subject at all. They never knew someone could want to wear diapers, still sleep with plushies and anything else we find fun/comforting. Not to mention, I always tried acted as mature as I could, so they were suprised when I expressed my intrest in such childish intrests.

So apparently I hide it extremely well, not that it's hard to do. I just always thought me trying to dissociate from anything too childish would of set off red flags in peoples minds. Anyways none of them were judgmental about it, they all knew me well before I told them and still knew I was the exact same person as I was the last week they saw me.

I do realize they would have judgments about it since they are humans just like any of us are, but they always kept it to themselves unless they were being sincere when they said something along the lines of it's not a big deal as long as it doesn't go overboard. (I'd like to point out, anything can go overboard. From obsessions with cars, to computers, sports, etc.)

Anyways there aren't a whole lot of AB/TB/DL's out there, there are even fewer who go out seeking some sort of help. I would like more professional mental health workers to know about this sort of stuff, but I don't think there needs to be a whole book let alone chapter about this stuff. At least until we can figure out the causes for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Anyways there aren't a whole lot of AB/TB/DL's out there, there are even fewer who go out seeking some sort of help. I would like more professional mental health workers to know about this sort of stuff, but I don't think there needs to be a whole book let alone chapter about this stuff. At least until we can figure out the causes for it.
    I have to respectfully disagree with that. There probably should be a book (or at least a chapter) about ABDLism. There probably are thousands more people out there who have those leanings, who don't have the luxury of going to a place like ADISC to discuss them, and therefore feel like complete freaks when they are anything but. For that reason alone, the mental health industry needs to recognize that we exist, and that most of us are not all that abnormal.

AmbezeSubHealth

Quote Originally Posted by kaworuchan View Post
    but on the other hand, there are a lot of fucking nutjobs in the field who taint the whole psychology practice with their incompetence.
    Seems with your greater experience you would know better than I.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    but I don't think there needs to be a whole book let alone chapter about this stuff. At least until we can figure out the causes for it.
    Doubt we will ever find causes of it. Seems as unlikely as finding the origin of life. But it would be nice if the mental health profession was aware of it.

Lotta stories of mental health profession acceptance here so far.

Maybe I misjudged the so called secular priesthood.

There is a lot of rejection of the practice of mental health. Several books are written on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Psychiatry-Sci.../ref=pd_cp_b_1