Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quebec bans niqab!

Default Quebec bans niqab!

Big issue; surprised it hasn't made more of the news.

Quebec niqab bill would make Muslim women unveil - thestar.com

Critics of the niqab say they subjugate women and their right to equality.

After a woman was removed this month from a French-language class for refusing to remove her niqab, Christine St-Pierre, Quebec's minister responsible for the status of women, called niqabs "ambulatory prisons."

On Wednesday, St-Pierre said Quebec was a "world leader" when it comes to gender equality, and with Bill 94, "we prove it once again."

The legislation doesn't stop at driver's licence or health card offices. It encompasses nearly every public and para-public institution as well, including universities, school boards, hospitals, community health and daycare centres.
    Basically, what this means is that if a woman in Quebec is wearing a niqab or any other face covering, she will not be able to consult a doctor, go to school, get a driver's license, or work in a job that deals directly with the public.

Back when France did this, I was almost 100% opposed to the idea. Then I started swaying to the other side when I realized that it made sense.

We had a discussion about this in one of my classes the other day. A muslim woman that sits a few rows ahead of me said that if she was pulled over by an officer while speeding, she would not take off her niqab for him so he could identify her through her driver's license. I told her she'd probably be arrested. She said she didn't care, and that she should have the right to deny showing her face to the cop. I said she was crazy. She glared at me, which scared me a bit because she's much, much bigger than me.

Anyway, is this religious oppression? or does it make sense to you?

So... what does covering a woman's face actually do? Like why is it important?

Part of the religion. Mainly, I guess, so they don't tempt other men.

Well I know it is part of their religion, but specifically why is it important?

Without knowing why it matters I can't really decide. If it is just to not tempt men, screw it. Take it off. If there is a somewhat plausible reason I may consider it valid.

I just want to point out it is oppressive to women and they should be apposed too wearing it.

That's pretty much it. In some places with Sharia law, women will get stoned to death for adultery while the man gets a few lashes. Ostensibly because the evil woman's beauty captivated the man or some such nonsense. Islam (and indeed many other religions) don't seem to have much respect for women. This sort of thing has no place in any civilized culture. Finally Quebec's done something sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by komodo View Post
    Finally Quebec's done something sensible.
    I actually find Québec to be the only province with sense while every other province is worried about being "politically correct".
    Last edited by Zephy; 26-Mar-2010 at 02:33. Reason: I forgot to put the word "being" before and now I'm punishing myself by writing an editing reason longer than my actual post.

WOW

I figured Canada of all places would find the idea of making laws regarding someones religious beliefs reprehensible. If this was proposed in the States, the congressman who brought it up would be hung politically.

Oh well, whatever, it's Québec! I like Charest's government as much as I like school, and I'm not in love with school AT ALL, so it gives a good overview!

I also heard they'd allow all schools to give classes during weekends to meet 4 or so Jew school's traditions. I have NOTHING against Jews, not at all, and they're the most welcome in Québec, but we also have OUR own traditions right? Traditionally, we never had classes on weekends. If I have 6 school days a week, or worse, 7, I'd go NUTS! My brain would just give up, no kidding!

The best would be to give weekend school only on Jew schools. The problem is that laws concerning school must either affect all Québec's school or none at all. Another smart thing Made in Québec! :bad:

As of the niqab, I think it just makes sense to ask women to remove it for identification purposes. Forcing them to NOT wear it at all would just be dumb, but at least giving the right to authorities to ask women to remove it (so they would have to).

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFox93 View Post
    I also heard they'd allow all schools to give classes during weekends to meet 4 or so Jew school's traditions. I have NOTHING against Jews, not at all, and they're the most welcome in Québec, but we also have OUR own traditions right? Traditionally, we never had classes on weekends. If I have 6 school days a week, or worse, 7, I'd go NUTS! My brain would just give up, no kidding!
    This would never work. You think a lot of people skip now? The only reason I am able to go to school every day, as is, is that I know that I have two days to look forward to just for relaxing and decompressing before another five days of work. Also, that adding 104 days of school (minus holidays that would occur anyway) to the curriculum. Either they would go much slower or the people would be head to university earlier. I can't see how things could go slower. College level grade 12 math just relearned perimeter >_>. Most of the courses work fine the way they are.