Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people cheer at sports on TV?

Default Why do people cheer at sports on TV?

I never understood it. Why do people cheer at the games on TV? The players can't even hear them scream so why yell at the TV?

You get excited, and need to express that excitement.
    Or disappointed.

If your team scores, and you're happy, you want to express the happiness. It makes you feel better!
    As does swearing very loudly, standing up and shaking your fist.

We just do; when you're really into something like that, you get emotionally involved. That Canada-US olympic gold hockey game was friggen nuts. There was about 30 of us crowded into this tiny room. Everybody was drunk. When Canada scored a goal, everyone erupted. When the US scored a goal, it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. When the US put it into overtime, some people were sobbing quietly to themselves. It was tense.
    And then, when Crosby scored the game winning goal, we just went nuts.

Too much into it I guess. My dad dose it and I get so anoyed by it.

Jesus, y'all are a bunch of tight asses, and probably boring as shit to watch a game (or a movie) with!

You can't tell me you've never watched a movie and gasped when the main character survived by the skin of his teeth. You can't tell me you've never seen a television show that's made you tear up. You can't tell me you've never verbally reacted to some form of external factor that will not be affected by your verbal expression. Ever been to a concert and shouted "YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH" when a million-and-one other people shout the same thing? Pretty useless, but it feels awesome!

People cheer because they're excited, because why the hell not cheer for something you're interested in if it's going well?

Butterfly Mage

Heck, I don't get the point of watching televised sports to begin with. For me, I would rather play in a game than passively watch one.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    You get excited, and need to express that excitement.
    Or disappointed.

If your team scores, and you're happy, you want to express the happiness. It makes you feel better!
    As does swearing very loudly, standing up and shaking your fist.
    This is it exactly, it's all about emotion. You want to let it all out.

EDIT-I plan to do some cheering right now, Spurs vs Fulham has started (don't support either team but football is football).

Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    Jesus, y'all are a bunch of tight asses, and probably boring as shit to watch a game (or a movie) with!

You can't tell me you've never watched a movie and gasped when the main character survived by the skin of his teeth.
    Oh, man, my mom does this kind of thing all the time, only she takes it to the max. She actually talks to the characters in a frantic tone ("Don't go in there!" "It's too late for her!" "NO! You need to go back!")

And she does it through the whole movie. It's almost impossible to sit down and watch a movie with her, because she'll think out loud about where the plot is going too.