Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I quit smoking

Default I think I quit smoking

Well, I think I finally did it, and it wasn't really even all that intentional. A little background, I've been a pack (or more) a day smoker for just about 10 year's now. I haven't smoked since last Saturday, so that makes me on my 8th day smoke free, and my 5th day free of nicotine. I give you the story why. Last Friday, I was starting to have some chest pains, not sure why. I had previously scheduled a physical, my first in years, for the following Monday. I figured on Friday that I'd sleep it off.

Saturday, I was supposed to go skiing which I do every weekend, but the chest pain was so intense, I almost thought about bringing myself to the emergency room. Yet, I still had to smoke. Gradually, the pain wore down a bit to something more tolerable, I even made it to the gym for a light workout, so I ruled out any heart condition. At about 9:30 at night, I was having a smoke, and I realized that I was still having chest pain, and that I missed skiing that day and I more or less just said to myself, "why the f#ck am I doing this to myself?

So, I finished my last smoke and said I'm not going to do this anymore. I didn't pick a quit day, or a "end of pack" type thing. I still have half of the pack, and 4 packs left in the carton they came from, since I get them by the carton tax free at the indian reservation. I'll probably give them to a co worker who smokes the same thing.

Anyway, last Sunday I figured I'd get some of the nicotine gum for the cravings. I went through a number of pieces the first day, a couple the second, one piece on the third, nothing since then, though I do HAVE to chew regular gum or I'll go nuts from my ingrained oral fixation.

Honestly, this hasn't been nearly as difficult as I thought it was going to be, especially coming from a long term, regular smoker. Only thing I miss is the social aspect, though I will still go outside with the smoker's and just not smoke myself and that seems to work.

On another note, I feel better than I have in years, I can breathe a lot better. Yesterday, I hit up some skiing at Mad River Glen, and for the first time in years I was able to ski Lower Antelope & Canyon (both are epic mogul fields - look on the website) without having to stop, not even once.

So, I guess wish me luck with this, I think I can do it.

Congratulations on breaking your habit and hopefully you can be smoke free for a long time. Keep it up!

Way to go Ace!!! Its an expensive dangerous habit. Think of all the money you will be saving.

Nicely done! It's a good thing you realized how bad it is for you. I wish some people I know would.

Anyways, keep it up.

Congrats, man.

Don't know what else to say, but I hope my "congrats" is enough. That is a major milestone.

Fantastic, Ace. Very soon, I am going to give them up myself. I still have a few packs to finish off.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisusernamewontfi View Post
    Give that man a klondike bar!

Here ya go! Enjoy all 176160 pixels of sugary sweetness!

That's great Ace. I had a similar situation so many years ago. I was newly married and a smoker. One Spring I couldn't breath in and not cough my fool head off. My wife said,"Well, why don't you quit?" I tore up the pack and never had another cigarette. The trick is to never have that first cigarette. If you do that, you will have quit for life like me. I wish you the best.