Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Political pop quiz: are you a conservative, liberal, centrist, statist, or libertarian?

Default Political pop quiz: are you a conservative, liberal, centrist, statist, or libertarian?

Okay, If you watched Glenn beck before, he talked about a chart called the Nolan chart. It had the complete political spectrum, and a survey of ten questions that accurately pinpoint where you are on the Nolan chart.

So, think for a minute and decide what you are (centrist, liberal, conservative, statist, or libertarian) and write it down as a reply.

Then go to this and truthfully answer this quiz: Nolan Chart Survey and then write down your result as a reply.

So, let me start:
    I thought I was a libertarian
    the result says I'm libertarian (as far up on the chart you can possibly go!)

I scored on the left side of Libertarian, about halfway towards Liberal.

Mako

If you watched Glenn beck before,
    Only out of a sick sadism of how far crazy and stupid can be mashed together with deceit and outright lies. Please tell me you don't take him seriously. He's almost Alex Jones levels in a scale of delusion.

The test is questionable, as there is a distinct bias in the wording that favours libertarianism. Questions in many areas take subtle jabs at progressives, socializing and neo-conservatives. Any time government involvement is in an option it is coupled by a negative implication or statement. The goal of this test seems not to be to judge what a persons political position is, but through the wording to guide them into selecting libertarian.

I ignored the bullshit parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Only out of a sick sadism of how far crazy and stupid can be mashed together with deceit and outright lies. Please tell me you don't take him seriously. He's almost Alex Jones levels in a scale of delusion.

The test is questionable, as there is a distinct bias in the wording that favours libertarianism. Questions in many ares take subtle jabs at progressives, socializing and neo-conservatives. Any time government involvement is in an option it is coupled by a negative implication or statement.

lol I knew someone was gonna chew me out about watching Glenn beck. He is actually a bright man. Many things he says is true, but if you don't agree with him, that's ok. I just want to point out that people all over the political spectrum watch his show. Why? He tries (and fails, at times) to tell you about the corruption in DC, and he also has a lot about history in there. Now why do I say he fails at times? He gets rightfully emotional about it, and puts his spin on it at times. But if you haven't watched it, watch it, so you can at least insult him without using personal attacks and vauge lies about him. Just saying.

I like Glenn Beck. >=D

Stop being apologetic about liking Glenn Beck, people! He's the first conservative commentator in ages to get people reading good books, get people thinking seriously about ideology, teach people about what the cancer of progressivism is, mobilize people -- and get the left really, really angry!

Anyway, I score one-half to the right of the very top. I'm a classical liberal. I refuse to call myself a libertarian because the libertarians are too dovish.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex888 View Post
    I like Glenn Beck. >=D

Stop being apologetic about liking Glenn Beck, people! He's the first conservative commentator in ages to get people reading good books, get people thinking seriously about ideology, teach people about what the cancer of progressivism is, mobilize people -- and get the left really, really angry!

Anyway, I score one-half to the right of the very top. I'm a classical liberal. I refuse to call myself a libertarian because the libertarians are too dovish.
    Woo! *high fives you for saying what i was gonna say to that other guy's progressive BS*

Butterfly Mage

I scored almost at the same spot as Mako: liberal with libertarian tendencies. I'm pro-gun, pro gay rights, pro-freedom, against corporate welfare, but also think that we do need a decent social safety net for the aged and disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    I scored almost at the same spot as Mako: liberal with libertarian tendencies. I'm pro-gun, pro gay rights, pro-freedom, against corporate welfare, but also think that we do need a decent social safety net for the aged and disabled.
    Respectable. I agree with some, and most of what you said. At least you aren't as negative as mako, although, I can't really say anything bad about him. I'm sure he is a good, decent person. I just like debating with liberals! =D

Well, I expected the chart to tell me I was a liberal and that's what the algorithm spat out (pretty much right in the middle of the triangle, too). That said, I wasn't a big fan of the test. Taking it I had a rather nagging feeling that it definitely wasn't written by somebody that was politically neutral. The wording of the questions just didn't seem unbiased. And, well, turns out the "World's Smallest Political Quiz" was created by Advocates for Self Government, a Libertarian group. That, and 10 questions isn't much for that kind of quiz.

Anyway, since this quiz is United-States centric, a lot of the questions had no relevance to me, either because the situation is fundamentally different in Canada (military, health care) or is no longer a political hot button (gay marriage). From a Canadian perspective, I think I am pretty close to the middle of the political spectrum.

Also, and this is nitpicking, but the quiz isn't a proper Nolan chart, since a Nolan chart does not have a "centrist" zone. Its more of a 2D matrix divided based on economic freedom and personal freedom. A pure left winger advocates high personal freedom but low economic freedom, a right winger advocates high economic freedom but low personal freedom, a libertarian advocates high economic and personal freedom and a populist (or statism, as in the WSPQ's implementation) advocates low personal and economic freedom. The link you gave us is a model strongly inspired by the Nolan chart, but it has an extra "zone".