Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urge

Default Urge

Lately I have been having an urge to smoke a cigar. My dad smokes them every now and then and so do his friends and I have grown up around that all my life. I have no complaints about it. Cigars to me just seem so...sophisticated and image of the wealthy. So, lately I have been wrapping my mouth around my cap stick tube and holding it like a cigar and imitating the smoking motion on it.

Throughout my life I have been brainwashed into thinking that I will kill myself if I smoke a cigar. I have some stuff holding me back from doing it though, like it seems like not smoking, drinking, having sex, or doing drugs is the only stuff that is keeping me "pure". But lately I have been wanting to smoke a cigar. I am of legal age as well.

Has anyone else come up to something similar to this?

Think I should give into temptation or hold off?

Meh. Give it a try, I think you'll find it pretty gross. My dad offered me a cigar on New Years' Eve, saying I was old enough and mature and whatnot, I gave it a try, and apparently did it wrong, because I was coughing and hacking for what seemed like forever. If you do it as badly as me, that should discourage you from ever trying again. But in all seriousness, in my opinion, you should live a little, give it a go. That said, don't do it all the time, and don't get addicted. You could do like my dad, and smoke one once or twice a year. There's very little risk in that, and you don't have to deal with the foul odor all the time.

Why get started with something you know is bad for your health? When I was eight, I had a cigarette put in my mouth so I could hang with the older boys. It wasn't until after I was married that I was finally able to quit the habit. I'm sure you could find a better oral reward.

I only smoke a cigar during the 4th of July or during a moment of great triumph. The latter is a rare enough event in itself. They make good punk-sticks though.

I smoke cigars on occasion. They go good with some whiskey. I'm not addicted, and usually one cigar is enough to last you all night. Really, one cigar a month will not affect you at all.

Here's something to help you select and smoke your first cigar:

I hate it put it this way but in my opinion there are actually some pretty yummy cigars out there. Some of my favorites are Phillies, Black&Mild, Swishers, I tend to go for the fruit flavored cigars, that in my opinion don't carry the traditional cigar flavor to them when you enjoy them. I think everyone is different, but I don't inhale my cigars when I smoke them. They taste better IMO if you don't. Anyway thats my .02

I'd say go for it. I smoke a cigar about once every 3 months or so and thoroughly enjoy it. I know that there are risks to smoking tobacco and that addictions are bad and all that sort of thing, but at the same time, I'm willing to accept a somewhat increased level of risk for an enjoyable activity.

Unfortunately, tobacco use has been demonized to the point where even occasional users like me are treated like lepers, even though there are plenty of activities out there that increase one's odds of death more than smoking a cigar now and then ever will.

I'm also of the opinion that these days people are so uptight about eliminating risks that they forget how to live and enjoy life. Yes, if you only eat green leaves and drink only water, you might live until you're 100, but you'll never enjoy the sublime pleasure of a quality cigar or a rich glass of red wine. Living a long healthy life is good, but if you never enjoy things, what kind of life is that? Besides which, you can never guarantee you won't die tomorrow in some kind of freak accident; life is short, enjoy it while you can.

To sum up a long and ranting post: Yes, smoke a cigar. It's not going to kill you, and you might just enjoy it. If you hate it, just chalk it up to experience and move on.

You won't get hooked from one so go ahead, your 18 if you want to smoke do it. I smoked one with friends and it didn't kill me and I haven't had one since.

Do yourself a favor for the future and your health: Resist.

I don't think many people get addicted to smoking from one cigar, but personally, when I can resist this kind of urge, it feels good to be able to tell my body to screw off once in awhile. I don't think you're missing much either; cigars are right up with inhaling formaldehyde in the lab, in my book.