Page 1 of 26 123451121 ... LastLast

Thread: America Just Went Stupid

Default America Just Went Stupid

Texas Conservatives Win Vote on Textbook Standards - NYTimes.com
    Apparently we trust Texas with a majority of text books in the U.S. There goes raising the bar of education...

Mako

This better not stand... someone needs to challenge this in court. They're going to be intentionally lying to children.

Butterfly Mage

What always cracks me up about Creationism as a "science" is how EASY it is to disprove. According to the Bible, YHVH created the universe about 6,000 years ago. But... the Hindu and Sumarian civilizations easily predate the Bible by several thousand years. So how could the world have been created 6,000 years ago when it was already in place with fully-functioning civilizations?

Mako

"Cynthia Dunbar, a lawyer from Richmond who is a strict constitutionalist and thinks the nation was founded on Christian beliefs, managed to cut Thomas Jefferson from a list of figures whose writings inspired revolutions in the late 18th century and 19th century, replacing him with St. Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin and William Blackstone. (Jefferson is not well liked among conservatives on the board because he coined the term “separation between church and state.”) '

Seriously... this can't stand. I think even many of our conservative members know how wrong it is to leave out Thomas Jefferson, as he is one of the most; if not the most, influential in his writings in regards to the founding and interpretation of the early constitution.

Butterfly Mage

Our nation was founded on Christian principles? Like the genocide of the indigenous peoples and the enslavement of several million human beings of African descent? Does the school board mean those Christian principles?

Regardless, most of the Founding Fathers were agnostic or deist. Ben Franklin, in particular, had no love of religion. He said that a lighthouse benefited a community much more than a church ever could.
    Last edited by Butterfly Mage; 13-Mar-2010 at 16:20. Reason: clarification

That is just terrifying. It's sad how everything in the States seems to be becoming political madness.

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    Texas Conservatives Win Vote on Textbook Standards - NYTimes.com
    Apparently we trust Texas with a majority of text books in the U.S. There goes raising the bar of education...
    Burn

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    Our nation was founded on Christian principles? Like the genocide of the indigenous peoples and the enslavement of several million human beings of African descent? Does the school board mean those Christian principles?

Regardless, most of the Founding Fathers were agnostic or deist. Ben Franklin, in particular, had no love of religion. He said that a lighthouse benefited a community much more than a church ever could.
    So much for being free to practice your own religion.

I've been following this for a few days and there were a few polls done.

Who should decide what is coverd in textbooks? Can't remeber the numbers but it went:
    Teachers
    Parents
    Local government
    State government
    Federal government

Well if President Obama wants us to be smarter then we need the government to decide. I think parents deciding would be the worst thing you could do.

Another poll talked about

What matters more, being politicaly correct or accuracy?
    60% said being politicaly correct
    30% said accuracy
    10% undecided

So according to this we care more about calling blacks african american rather then getting the date correct of the signing of the Decloration of Independance.

Is anyone surprised? Really?

A few highlights:

History was too liberal, apparently.
    Last edited by Chillhouse; 13-Mar-2010 at 20:39.

There's someone in my English class who went to school in Texas. She says all the time that the schooling there was so much harder than it is here. She learned the things that we're learning in collage in her sophomore year of High School. There's also a person in my class who moved from Michigan to Texas and her story is how they had to put her in a tun of advanced classes so she'd be prepared for the normal classes at Texas schools. It caught me off guard, but I believe it.

MXmadman

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    What always cracks me up about Creationism as a "science" is how EASY it is to disprove. According to the Bible, YHVH created the universe about 6,000 years ago. But... the Hindu and Sumarian civilizations easily predate the Bible by several thousand years. So how could the world have been created 6,000 years ago when it was already in place with fully-functioning civilizations?
    Well, okay then.

Prove it.