Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stereotypes

Default Stereotypes

They exist in every sense of community today and unfortunately they can be too harmful as they will ever be helpful. I am making this thread because I feel that one thing that we go through every day is when people make stereotypes of each other and it just completely mismatches the person that it is associated with. The two stereotypes that I hate the most is the stereotype of hispanics and soccer and the LGBT community and the "rainbows". I am 100% Puerto Rican heritage and I do not have an inch inside me that has a deep admirable interest in soccer. I like American Football but soccer has never appealed to me as a person. As to the latter stereotype, I have known myself to be bisexual only for the past 3 months or so, and I feel that I am the complete opposite of what is typically pictured for gay people. I am somewhat open about my bisexuality, but I am not a spontaneously gay person as we can picture in our minds.

I think this is a topic that I believe that everybody in the forum can relate to or have related to at some point in their lives, and stereotypes are a difficult thing that many of us have to deal with each day. Some of them do make sense with my heritage and my fanship with the New York Yankees (in PR there are stores that only sell Yankees hats!). But some are harder to brace within and I feel that this can be a Mature topic and one that can bring support for those who need it.

The most effective way to destroy stereotypes is probably for people to meet people that don't fit the stereotype. However, I think once one has one generalization/stereotype 'destroyed' they are more likely to question their other assumptions about groups of people. I think when victims of stereotyping share their experiences, people listening realize what harm their casual assumptions can do.
    One last thing is that stereotypes are based on some grain of reality, and unfortunately that means people's stereotypes can be validated. I think there are people who fit stereotypes partially or completely and people look at them and ignore the people that don't fit the stereotype. This is confirmation bias. (See this article also).

June

I hate them.

For one, I say I have no real stereotype, I'm just different (and proud).

But I hate the judging that comes along with being stereotyped. For example, I've heard numerous people say things like "Americans are ignorant and selfish", or "mexicans are illegal immigrants", or "English people are all snobby and full of themselves".

Does this really apply to everyone in those stereotypes?

That's why I try to stay away from cliques and social groups at my school. I want to be free.

Well stereotypes are inevitable. It's just a generalization of a large amount of data. The key thing to remember is that its a generalization, and thus does not apply to the individual.

People jump to conclusions too quickly.
    That really disappoints me...

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    People jump to conclusions too quickly.
    That really disappoints me...
    You really jumped to conclude that people jump to conclusions too fast, I gotta say that's ironic no? :P Just Kidding

As far as stereotypes go, doesn't really matter what they are, they're usually wrong

Unfortunately it is our own brain's tendency to seek patterns that creates stereotypes.

Quote Originally Posted by TeenageToddler View Post
    I hate them.

For one, I say I have no real stereotype, I'm just different (and proud).

But I hate the judging that comes along with being stereotyped. For example, I've heard numerous people say things like "Americans are ignorant and selfish", or "mexicans are illegal immigrants", or "English people are all snobby and full of themselves".

Does this really apply to everyone in those stereotypes?

That's why I try to stay away from cliques and social groups at my school. I want to be free.
    That is a very enlightened attitude for someone who is 15. I am almost certain that not to many of you peers feel the same way. You earn a point from me for what its worth.

Butterfly Mage

The funny thing about the gay stereotype is how FEW people I've met that actually meet that criteria. Seriously.

As a white, British male, I don't really have to worry about prejudices and stereotypes.

Actually I think bisexuals get stereotyped as gays in denial, I think people are more threatened by bis than by gays.

I don't think people should be offended by stereotyping unless it's really having a negative effect. I'll happily make fun of the posh, soft South; the alcoholic Scots; the sheep-shagging Welsh; the snooty French; the fat Americans; the sun lounger swiping Germans; the lazy Spanish; (...).

It's all in good fun! Except when it's done to specific races, then it's racist!