Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Bands

Default Battle of the Bands

Okay people, it's time discuss music. Who is it that you believe is the greatest band ever and why?

As for me, I say The Who.

They played at Woodstock. They released two legendary rock operas: Tommy and Quadrophenia. They were known for their antics and destructive behavior onstage, and well, everywhere else. They all starred in a movie, Tommy. Greatest Work- Who's Next.

Pete Townsend (Guitar)- One of the most iconic Guitarists ever. He was the enthusiast of the "Windmill" move, as well as being the originator of the smashed guitar.

John Entwistle (Bass)- Always comes to mind when you talk about the greatest bassists ever. He influenced the likes of Steve Harris, Les Claypool, and Cliff Burton. The quietest member of the band, hardly moving during many of their shows, clashing with the styles of the other band members. Nonetheless, he will always be considered one of the greatest.

Keith Moon (Drums) - Arguably the greatest drummer ever. His style was innovative - replacing basic back beats with a busy technique focused on fast, cascading rolls across the toms and cymbal crashes. Also known to be an alcoholic, his death being caused by an overdose of Heminevrin, a drug used to help him get over his alcoholism. He and Neil Peart are usually considered the two greatest drummers of all time.

Roger Daltrey (Vocals) - One of the two surviving members of the band today, Daltrey was the founder of The Who. Early on, Daltrey was the band's leader, earning a reputation for using his fists to exercise control when needed. Because of this, the band members kicked him of out the band for a few days in 1965. He was the face of the band that stood out amidst the 60's counterculture.

There ya go ladies and germs. Eh, I kinda went overboard on that... Anyways, Yours don't have to be this long.

The Beatles

There is no other band in the history of music that has been so iconic as these guys. They're a house-hold name everywhere in the Western world. Everyone knows who they are, even if you've never heard any of their songs. The're pretty much unsurpassed in succesfulness.

But Barenaked Ladies is a pretty cool band too. Probably the greatest band from the 90s.

Hmmm this is a pretty hard qeustion. Mainly because there are so many great bands. So I am going to give two answers. If your talking greatest band of all time, well then I might just have to give it to the Beetles. I do not even really like the beetles music. The only reason I would give the credit to them is because they were the first major movement in rock, also feeding the fuel of hippies, creating the peace movement.
    Now considering a band that is kind of recent I would say Nirvana, because they also had a huge part in shifting the direction the way rock went. I do not think there is any other rock vocalist that could capture his feelings better than Kurt Cobain did. Thats just my opinion though.

I say Queen
    Because I remember they concert, For example Wembley, and because they wrote the soundtrack of my favourite Movie, Higlander.
    Plus I think Freddy Mercury is the greatest singer ever.

Avenged Sevenfold

Their fricken sweet, have an amazing drummer and guitarist. They also have some great albums.

No questions asked

Quote Originally Posted by Me :p View Post
    Avenged Sevenfold

Their fricken sweet, have an amazing drummer and guitarist. They also have some great albums.

No questions asked
    Are you kidding? Don't get me wrong, I like A7x, but they're not even close to the best band ever. They've had no influence to either rock, or metal as a whole. Zack and the Rev are good, but not good enough to be considered the best metal band, much less best band ever.

Marilyn Manson, he changed darkwave forever. Sure I agree he's ****ed up, but his music is good.

Although i'm not necesarily a fan of them I'd probably have to go with The Who as well.

As for bands who have changed music in an extreme way, the band "Talk Talk" was one of the first of its kind. They kinda sorta in a way tryed to start the whole rock n' roll era (says my uncle who is in to all that rock n' roll trivia stuff...)

My own band of course, the Flying Evil Blood Banshee Red Evil Cult Death Demons! It consists of:

- Me on clarinet
    - My friend on violin
    - Two other guys singing (well, one screaming, one singing chords and church music)
    - An Asian on keyboard

We're really a breakthrough band. We're revolutionizing the music industry!

Back off topic: It's really a toss-up between Simon and Garfunkel and the London Symphony Orchestra. That counts, right?

Simon and Garfunkel were introduced to me by none other than Tea himself, and I duely thank him for that! Really awesome poetic music, but it's also really pretty and melodic.

London Symphony Orchestra have just done so many amazing renditions of a broad selection of music. They're my favorite ensemble to date.

I'll have to toss Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons into the mix. These guys defined the doo-wop sound of the 50s and early 60s, and though their name is not so popular, most Americans would be hard-pressed to have lived without getting to know (and love) at least one of their songs. You likely know one -- you just never knew it was Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons.