Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to stop drinking.

Default How to stop drinking.

I went through three fifths of vodka in the last week alone. I seriously need to stop drinking, and to stay off the liquor for good. I have proven to myself that I really cannot stop after one or two drinks if there is a bottle in my possession.

I just might be an alcoholic at this point.

So, I figure the first thing I need to do is to just simply stop going to the liquor store, to not purchase any more bottles. Oddly enough, there is a liquor store right next door to my apartment complex, which is too easy for me to walk into if I am feeling blue and thinking - "I'll just have a shot to calm my nerves and that'll be it". It never ends with one shot for me, though, I am very well aware of that now. I have to be disciplined enough to deny myself even that first shot. I need to be strong.

I wonder what I should do when the urge to drink strikes me, though, for when it strikes, it strikes hard.

I have little faith in AA, because I don't want to rely on a "higher power" to get through this. I need to find the strength within myself to get off the booze and stay off the booze. Heh.

Find another addiction. :<

That's how my other addiction I got over it. Ah the joys of smoking instead of eating that cheese cake.

Or you know get into computers/photography. They are expensive and eat up cash.

Check around for an agnostic/atheist AA. Hopefully your area has one. None of the 'higher power' stuff there. You'd tackle a goal with a group rather than alone. It's like going to the gym: everyone says "man, I should get to the gym", but it's not likely to happen without a buddy to go there with you.

Moving seems extreme, but on the other hand, it could be a move up in the world. Environmental change leads to behavioral change. Making it tough to get to the liquor store could be helpful, but doesn't sound like a complete solution.

If you find it tough to sleep without drinking, maybe that's something a doctor could help with. Or a cigar or two.

It would also be worth figuring out why you want to drink. What does it do or undo in any given day for you?

Best of luck.

First of all it's great that you've been able to see you could be a alcoholic. Admitting it just shows you have the mental ability to stop, and the strong will power!

I personally never drink, turned 18 yesterday, had a little bit of beer and my stomach just cramped up and made me feel terrible. So as you can tell i won't be drinking again.

Just keep thinking what alcohol can do to you, messing up internal organs, ruining every single relationship you have. Do you want to end up as a old man in a bar on his own drinking every night?

Just stay positive, possibly seek some other help, attending a recovery class or something, talking about it must help.

As i said before, i have only just turned 18. So i can't connect with how addictive alcohol is, just try hard and think before buying!

Quote Originally Posted by Valerye View Post
    Find another addiction. :<

That's how my other addiction I got over it. Ah the joys of smoking instead of eating that cheese cake.

Or you know get into computers/photography. They are expensive and eat up cash.
    I can tell you one thing for sure, if you get into photography you won't have any money for booze. Seriously though, you need support to get over an addiction like that. If you had control over it it would not be an addiction.

I don't want to sound cruel here, but no one is going to stop you from drinking but yourself, yes I know the feeling when you don't drink when your used to it everyday.

What you need to do is get thru that pain it will last for days, you will have sleepless nights and you won't know what to do with yourself, but you can do this.

I just lost my youngest brother saturday, he was older than you but way to young to die, when I went to see him in the hospital he looked worst then the 88 year old guy in the next bed, if this is what your going for keep drinking.

Yes he died from drinking he was a big fan of vodka by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    I don't want to sound cruel here, but no one is going to stop you from drinking but yourself, yes I know the feeling when you don't drink when your used to it everyday.

What you need to do is get thru that pain it will last for days, you will have sleepless nights and you won't know what to do with yourself, but you can do this.
    ^ this

Most of you stopping drinking is going to have to come from you actually physically abstaining yourself as opposed to looking for someone to help drag it out of you

you yourself have to stop you from reaching for the first shot, if that makes sense.

it wouldn't be so satisfying and rewarding if this weren't the case

alternatively you can develop a recurrent symptom that colludes with a phobia like when I used to be a stoner and the nausea and such decided to set in (no prizes for guessing which mainly female-dominated phobia I have)

What are you talking about dude?

3/5'ths of vodka in a week ISN'T that much. I'd say your fine. As long as you dont' drink and drive. I've drank that much in one night myself lol.

~Johnathon~

Mako

I actually have an amazing 3 step plan that could help any alchoholic with their problem.

Step 1: Put down the bottle.
    Step 2: Learn some control.
    Step 3: With that control, learn to pace yourself
    Problem solved.

You're in control of who you are. No one forces you to drink so much but you. If you want to stop or moderate your drinking habits, you will. If you don't want to stop. You won't. The choice is solely yours.

In 1985 I was drinking rum and cokes and taking aspirin for a pain in my leg and knee. Up to that point, I drank a lot, and perhaps on some nights, too much. I have plenty of demons, and ever since high school, I drank to kill the pain. With the combination of aspirin and rum I soon developed an ulcer that technically killed me. I died in a medical parking lot, went through the tunnel of light, and came back.

Like Tommy, I can't drink now. It doubles me up in pain, and it's just as well. By not drinking, I get so much more done in the evening. If you think you can control your drinking and have just two or three, good for you. You could time it by the clock and have some sort of regiment. But if you can't, then abstain. The strangest thing was that once off the alcohol, I didn't miss it, and I had been a heavy drinker for a long time. Dying was a life changing experience.