Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It happened again.

Default It happened again.

SFGate: Politics Blog : Ashburn: "I am gay."

So it happened again. Another staunchly anti-gay, pro-"family values" (whatever the fuck that means this week) Republican was outed as gay. This time, it was Roy Ashburn. It started with him getting pulled over for a DUI after leaving a gay bar with an unidentified male passenger. After a few days of more and more reports flooding in that he frequented gay bars all over town, he finally came out and just admitted that he's gay. At least this one wasn't living in a sham marriage.

This happens WAY too often. Here's my deal now - if you present yourself as anti gay-rights, I'm just gonna assume you're gay now. Statistically speaking, it seems I'm more likely to be right. The more vehemently someone opposes gay marriage, or repealing DADT, the more they might as well just be dancing in the Castro Street Pride Parade in purple leather chaps.

http://www.salon.com/comics/boll/200...boll/story.gif

Wouldn't you know it, someone beat me to it.

I am blinded by the speed and accuracy of your comic. They could have added homophobic teens and Catholic priests to the stereotype list...

If somebody makes a point to be anti-gay, somebody is likely gay.

Either way, fear and confusion are the greater motivating factors. It's the folks who say "but...but...it's gross...and I just...well...THROW THEM IN THE DUNGEON!...cause I said so...cause bla, bla bla..." who make me giggle. At the same time, I wonder why these folks need to make such a big deal about it...I like how it was done in this video).

I would just let it go...it's just a generation gap that will go away in a few years.

See, I hear people like that congresswoman describing how she wouldn't let that happen to her, and all I think is "so that means she's a top then?" And yes, women can be tops. You've never heard of pegging?

I wonder if he's going to run for re-election, and if he does.. how I'll vote on it.

Also on a unrelated I hate the attack ad's from Meg Witman, since its the same political bullshit I always seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I wonder if he's going to run for re-election, and if he does.. how I'll vote on it.
    You know, I honestly hoped that California is broke enough that the voters and politicians would decide to leave behind moral crusading for a bit and focus on the fact that the State is pretty financially bankrupt. I guess we'll see what happens if this guy runs again - will his sexuality be front-and-center, or will everyone be too busy talking about ways to pay down the mountain of debt?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Also on a unrelated I hate the attack ad's from Meg Witman, since its the same political bullshit I always seen.
    As in the former CEO of eBay? Could be worse - at least it's not Carly Fiorina, former CEO of HP. That woman is the King Midas of feces - everything she touches turns to shit, but for some reason, people keep hiring her.

Just took a look at Whitman's website. Her "plan" is to cut spending by laying off some government employees, cutting the pay of others, and using the line-item veto. The woman is out to lunch if she thinks that's all it's gonna take. She likely won't get the layoffs and paycuts she's looking for, the unions will see to that. Even if she did get them, it won't come anywhere near closing the deficit gap. Schwarzenegger did a bunch of staffing cuts about 2 years ago, and while it helped ease the pressure, it barely made a dent. As for the line-item veto, sure, that works fine on appropriations bills, but those aren't the real spending problem. The real spending problem is the ballot initiatives (which the line-item veto can't touch), and the morons in Anaheim who won't pass a budget that has anything that even remotely resembles a tax increase. Her "plan" doesn't even mention those issues. Oh, and her idea for selling off or leveraging state property? That was tried. Turns out there's very little market for the stuff that the state can actually sell.

Default I'll pay $5.00 for the Califormia Redwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by bgi39jsjw0ggg View Post
    You know, I honestly hoped that California is broke enough that the voters and politicians would decide to leave behind moral crusading for a bit and focus on the fact that the State is pretty financially bankrupt. I guess we'll see what happens if this guy runs again - will his sexuality be front-and-center, or will everyone be too busy talking about ways to pay down the mountain of debt?

As in the former CEO of eBay? Could be worse - at least it's not Carly Fiorina, former CEO of HP. That woman is the King Midas of feces - everything she touches turns to shit, but for some reason, people keep hiring her.

Just took a look at Whitman's website. Her "plan" is to cut spending by laying off some government employees, cutting the pay of others, and using the line-item veto. The woman is out to lunch if she thinks that's all it's gonna take. She likely won't get the layoffs and paycuts she's looking for, the unions will see to that. Even if she did get them, it won't come anywhere near closing the deficit gap. Schwarzenegger did a bunch of staffing cuts about 2 years ago, and while it helped ease the pressure, it barely made a dent. As for the line-item veto, sure, that works fine on appropriations bills, but those aren't the real spending problem. The real spending problem is the ballot initiatives (which the line-item veto can't touch), and the morons in Anaheim who won't pass a budget that has anything that even remotely resembles a tax increase. Her "plan" doesn't even mention those issues. Oh, and her idea for selling off or leveraging state property? That was tried. Turns out there's very little market for the stuff that the state can actually sell.
    Hopes that helps out your state and it's ever increasing mountain of debt.

Oh, BTW, bgi39jsjw0ggg, Great thread - loved the comic!

I noticed when I was a student at Westminster Choir College that out of each new freshman class, the students who were the most outspoken against homosexuality often found themselves and "came out". It seems to be a psychological pattern. For years when I've heard politicians rail against homosexuality, I've just assumed that they secretly were attracted to men.

It always seems the ones who make the most anti gay statements try to take the spotlight off themselves, by bashing gays.

I think they are way more closet cases, like myself, than people want to admit,yet they are stuck in a life where it is unpopular to be gay so they hide and bash others who are gay.

Shakespeare had a phrase for it: Methinks thou dost protest too much.

Conversely, I'll suggest that all you blatant, teary-eyed, flaming liberals are really closet conservatives who will only do it after marriage in the missionary position with your eyes closed and the lights off.....

<wink><wink>