Thread: Recommended CPU Cooler for Quad-Core Phenom 9600?

Default Recommended CPU Cooler for Quad-Core Phenom 9600?

I plan on overclocking this processor ( I know they don't clock very high ) but I need a good cooler, under $65.00 which will be able to handle the INSANE heat this sucker makes when I have to pump ridiculous amounts of voltage into it to get it stable at 2.70Ghz..
    I got it stable at 3.5GHZ once, but I was idling at 75c!! ****!!!

I've like to keep my idle below 30c

Heh..

Any other tips? I'm not a very good overclocker - I am a hardware guy who has built and sold almost 150+ computers, and I've never really dabbled in overclocking until this year..

I had a rig that was overheating. I slapped a Coolermaster V8 on it and haven't had a problem since. Need to have a big case to support it though.

I have to second the Coolermaster V8, it's a great deal for the performance, but if it was idling at 75C with a stock cooler, and you want it below 30 C, I doubt air cooling is going to cut it. For that, you'll be looking at a water cooling rig (or if you're really crazy, you can turn your case into an aquarium of coolant for an immersion cooled rig )

Quote Originally Posted by komodo View Post
    I have to second the Coolermaster V8, it's a great deal for the performance, but if it was idling at 75C with a stock cooler, and you want it below 30 C, I doubt air cooling is going to cut it. For that, you'll be looking at a water cooling rig (or if you're really crazy, you can turn your case into an aquarium of coolant for an immersion cooled rig )
    I agree that your going to need liquid/water cooling. But, I think you would be better to ask at Tom's hardware or some site like that.

OMGWTFBBQ? WALMART IS CHEAPER THAN NEWEGG!!?!??!??!!? Since when does Walmart sell THIS??? Well, I'm going to find some reviews on this and if I like it I'll buy it... from Walmart.. lmao..

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Walmart.com: Coolermaster V8 180W CPU Cooler Intel i7: Computers

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Yeah, I'll be buying one. Thanks

Just make a Fishtank system.

You can keep it as cool as you can keep the gell.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerye View Post
    Just make a Fishtank system.
    Lol, there's a reason you don't see many immersion cooled PCs outside of very specialized systems: you get coolant all over everything. Most hobbyists can only afford mineral oil which is just a horrible mess if you want to swap PCI cards or ram. Looks sweet though, and you can tell people you cool your computer with horse laxatives.

corsair h50, around the 70 bucks (prices can differ, though are mostly around the 60-70 euroes)

an all in one LCLC system (low cost liquid cooling), and according to the tests it seems to dent quite a punch into airbased cooling, wtih an affordable pricetag etc.

and ofcourse, : its easy to install ^-^

(personally i cant wait to get my pawsies on it) :_)

I'm very leery about water cooling. I built a computer once for a customer that requested water-cooling, as he wanted to OC the unit... Well the radiator was DOA, but I didn't know that until I attatched it to the processor and filled the coolant. As soon as I powered the unit up I heard "TSSSSSSSST" and it powered off. Killed a motherboard and an E8500. Lost about $450 on that build. Hell no thanks, I'm sticking to air.

just outta curiosity, what kinda watercoolingset did you use :_)

also , how can your radiator be DOA (Dead On Arrival) when a Radiator is just for the dissipation of the heat, it seems quite dodgy if you ask me :_)

//edit, also if you'd had google'd on the thing, you'd have seen that that H50, is something quite nifty, for 60 bucks :_)