Thread: My philosophical take on Infantilism

Default My philosophical take on Infantilism

Socrates was quoted in saying that there lays an innate knowledge within us- this seems fitting to the ideologies that many share here.

i don't posses any great qualifications but i read sci fi/philosophy novels written by philip k dick, i also enjoy martin heidegger.

id like to hear others opinions toward Socrates quotation of each of us possessing this innate knowledge : meaning that we already knew who we were even before we were born,. such as dna A pre-determent of hair eye colour, whilst also possessing knowledge as well .

i'm putting this in the mature topic - merely in a glimmer of hope that it will reach the right people .
    i genuinely would like to hear a mature response or perhaps my talents & experiences could be put to better use on other web sites.

I disagree that we have any innate knowledge, I think we're born as blank slates in terms of what knowledge we have. It seems like most people who argue otherwise want to suggest that God is an example of something we know innately, but I'm not really sympathetic to that.

Noam Chomsky has argued that grammar is innate knowledge, and that's certainly quite interesting. I don't agree though, I think it's just genetics, no different from hair colour.

I don't think we are born with any knowledge. I can't remember the argument for believing that (I think it was Locke's), other than being born with knowledge seems implausible and I haven't seen a good argument to suggest that it's not.

Mesmerale

The whole underlying "Genetics or not" theme in this reminds me of one of my threads that I made a long, long time ago.. Maybe reading bits of it will help fuel the discussion?

*BDL/Infantilist desires: Literal or Emotional?

~~~

As for my input now: I don't think we're born with any innate knowledge of who we are. I think we're born with the potential to become a myriad of things and, depending on what happens to us in life, we develop our knowledge into one of the many options.

I have potential innately, but we acquire knowledge as we live.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    I disagree that we have any innate knowledge, I think we're born as blank slates in terms of what knowledge we have. It seems like most people who argue otherwise want to suggest that God is an example of something we know innately, but I'm not really sympathetic to that.
    You may still disagree, however I believe that we as a species yearn to know if something higher than ourselves exists. I am deeply spiritual and follow Christ so I readily admit to being biased, however I submit this for consideration.

Helen Keller. Blind and deaf from the age of two, she had lived a life of isolation, unable to speak words she could not hear, unable to know what a word was. She was taught to communicate by a dedicated teacher in a process that has inspired people ever since.

In one of her letters, Helen told Bishop Brooks that she had always known about God, even before she had any words. Even before she could call God anything, she knew God was there. She didn't know what it was. God had no name for her -- nothing had a name for her. She had no concept of a name. But in her darkness and isolation, she knew she was not alone. Someone was with her. She felt God's love. And when she received the gift of language and heard about God, she said she already knew.

Outlook March 1992, 3-5

i mightn't have clear if i agreed with with plato's interpretation of socrates . which i do ,
    i'm like the other chap here - spiritual .

our ability to acknowledge others suffering and guilt that little is being done reflects that we share some Existentialism thought .

i certainly will be looking into the writers mentioned .
    the notion could reasonably exist that in the near future that a more social acceptance to wearing nappies is established . japanese culture is pushing this,... maybe we could all be mindless drones all sharing one thought ,... comfortable with our on existence ( wearing nappies naturally ) .
    a babied state -something that politicians in the uk argued

It depends how you are interpreting the meaning of 'innate knowledge'. If you are referring to certain things that seem to be known to all creatures since they are born, as in the effort to stay alive and avoid things that may harm oneself, then we would appear to have knowledge. Yet this is what many would call instinctive and doesn't really progress beyond what is required for evolution and natural selection to occur.

If your interpretation is that we are born knowing who we are, even if it takes us a while to discover this 'knowledge', then I'm going to have to disagree. Genes may be the building blocks, but since that first cell starts to multiply to form an embryo and then a foetus, the amount of variation in the environment that could affect development, meant that not much can be taken for certain as 'pre-set' nothing mental at least.
    It is my belief that people are born a blank slate and develop these things (if only subconsciously) in the first few years of life. It may be that some people are born more susceptible to becoming *B/DL than other people, but I don't think it's set in stone.

My main argument against that of innate knowledge, is that of identical twins. If we did posses some 'knowledge' of who we were, then would we not expect identical twin to become the same kind of people, the truth is that in many if not more cases, they have different personalities.

This is probably unrelated, but Oscar Wilde once said "I am not young enough to know everything"

Quote Originally Posted by khaymen
    I believe that we as a species yearn to know if something higher than ourselves exists. I am deeply spiritual and follow Christ so I readily admit to being biased, however I submit this for consideration.
    To alter this slightly: I believe that as a species, humans yearn to understand the purpose, reason, or explanation for our existence. A higher power (ie. God) is one of the simplest ways to answer those questions, I shall not comment on whether or not that answer is correct, and that has been discussed before, but I think that is why so many yearn to believe there is a higher power.

Well, I don't know about innate *knowledge*, qua justified true belief, because that would presuppose that from birth one already possesses certain beliefs that are justified and happen to be true. I think we are born with an innate psychological infrastructure, but even if this would happen to take the form of a mental construct as elaborate as belief, I would not go so far as to say that this belief would be in any way justified, the child having had no real sensory input yet.
    Put another way, supposing we are born with thoughts already in our head (which doesn't make much sense to me), such thoughts could only be justified through experience, and so knowledge could only be possible once experience begins. But as such, it would cease to be innate, having been acquired through experience.
    But I do think (in contrast to Charlie) that Chomsky's Universal Grammar is a fine example of innate mental structures (reason would be another example) though such things are a far cry from being beliefs, much less knowledge. Rather, they are a more of an elementary protocol by which thought proceeds. They aren't really things to believe or disbelieve -- and as such, are not really things to know -- but are basic components of the mind that allow input to be structured in a useful way, perhaps akin to an operating system that has just been installed but not yet used (could be wrong about the analogy, I'm not terribly computer savvy).

I believe that there is hard wired, inner knowledge. Even if you believe in evolution, the first of species had to have inner knowledge in order to survive. A baby is born with the sucking instinct. There has been speculation, if not observation, that we also have a hard wired need for a belief in God. Yet need and reality are two different things. I think it's amazing that Helen Keller would know of God without any input.