Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Immortality

Default Immortality

Ok, so my IT teacher reckons he's seen videos about effectively downloading the content of the human brain onto a HDD. The scientists in the videos believe the basic technology is only a few decades away.

I've been thinking that, considering the brain is just electrical impulses/signals/whatever, if we could get a HDD big enough to store a brain, a way to connect to the brain and a computer interface or something that the brain could control, theoretically this could be the road to immortality.

People living forever in android bodies. I know it sounds really sci-fi ish, but I don't see why it couldn't be done. Our brain contains all the memories, beliefs and ideals that make us who we are after all.

An added bonus would be that we could finally prove whether or not the soul exists, beyond the doubt of even the believers.

Guess I'm wondering what you guys think about the idea, whether you think it's viable, and that if it is, should we do it?

Yeah, with the way the brain is, this seems entirely possible, but i believe we are FAR from this. We use like, what? 10%, 20% of our brains? scientists need to fully understand the brain until they mess with stuff like that.

I think it's 10 - 20% at a time. I think we use all of it a differing times, just not all at once.

The stuff about only using 10% is a myth, we use all of it.

It COULD be possible (although it seems more like a sci-fi fantasy), but just because we can do it doesn't mean we should do it. We'd have the brain but we wouldn't possess emotions due to lack of neurotransmitters and would lack a mind. And because of that it would seem pointless.

And how would this prove we have a soul?

I was thinking more along the lines of proving that we didn't. When you have a fully functioning, self identified person in an artificial body. That kinda proves that there is no extra facet to human existence.

As far as not having emotions go, couldn't that be synthesized as well? Aren't emotions technically just chemical reactions within the body/brain?

I ask these question genuinely because I'm not sure btw.

well i would surgest you to have a look at some of the scientists that are using animals brains for a cpu in a computer. i know it sounds crule but it had to be done some time.

and there is one big factor about using a computer styal set up is the cpu, at the mo we are at 4cores avalible to the public at the mo. i have hurd of 100 core for a super computer.
    but a simple brain will be 100's of 000's of cores and a human brain would be 1T's of cores. so that is along way off at the mo.

but on the other hand i have hurd of a sciencist keeping a human head alive with no body attached.
    so it isnt far off us being cyborg and such like

Quote Originally Posted by MyLastWords View Post
    I think it's 10 - 20% at a time. I think we use all of it a differing times, just not all at once.
    Both are Myth.

Though an alluring idea, the "10 percent myth" is so wrong it is almost laughable, says neurologist Barry Gordon at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore. Although there's no definitive culprit to pin the blame on for starting this legend, the notion has been linked to the American psychologist and author William James, who argued in The Energies of Men that "We are making use of only a small part of our possible mental and physical resources."

i heard it somewhere, but thanks for correcting me

In theory, there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't. The problem is, that even if you could store the state of every part of the brain, for the artificial brain to actually work, you would have to be able to accurately simulate the interactions between every cell in the brain, every enzyme and protein, perhaps even every molecule and atom. The most powerful distributed computing project in the world is the [email protected] project. Whose longest simulation (using thousands of computers over the world) covered around 1.5 milliseconds of a 39 residue long protein's folding pathway (a tiny end piece of a biological protein), and that was using a highly approximated molecular dynamics model. I think we're still a long way away from replicating the human brain with technology.

I could see downloading a human brain happening, running it wouldn't be possible for a long while... or so we think. I have a picture from a 1954 issue of popular mechanics demonstrating what computers in 2004 might look like.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image001.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	689

Anyways, my point is the technology might not be as far away as we think. Recording every neurological transmittion in the brain would still take a very long time, processing the information will take even longer. But once it does happen, I want to watch some old dreams on my laptop. Maybe find some old faces from friends long lost... hey, the police could use this technology for finding the face of the criminal without having to ask a confused and traumatized witness.

Now if we did it backwards and put information ONTO the brain, you could learn any skill and have any knowledge... LOL like in the matrix, I'm so original. Possibley it's the key to virtual reality! Read and write access to a brain on a computer while feeding the brain whatever you want it to see (With all senses of course). Again, I'm totally not stealing any of this from any movies at all...