Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A philosophical thought for the day

Default A philosophical thought for the day

Keep this in mind the next time you are about to repeat a rumour:

In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his wisdom.

One day an acquaintance ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about Diogenes?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates replied, "Before you tell me I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter test."
    'Triple filter?" asked the acquaintance.

"That's right," Socrates continued, "Before you talk to me about Diogenes let's take a moment to filter what you're going to say. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

"No," the man said, "Actually I just heard about it."

"All right," said Socrates, "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about Diogenes something good?"

"No, on the contrary..."

"So," Socrates continued, "You want to tell me something about Diogenes that may be bad, even though you're not certain it's true?"

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed. Socrates continued, "You may still pass the test though, because there is a third filter, the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about Diogenes going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "If what you want to tell me is neither True nor Good nor even useful, why tell it to me or anyone at all?"

The man was bewildered and ashamed.

This is an example of why Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.

It also explains why Socrates never found out that Diogenes was shagging his wife.

Surely the wife shagging would make the piece of information useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    Surely the wife shagging would make the piece of information useful?
    Useful to whom? It wouldn't necessarily be useful to Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspence View Post
    Kind of depends how you define useful really.

I like this scenario, kind of made me chuckle, but it is a good piece of wisdom to live by.

EmeraldsAndLime

If Kanye can steal the microphone, can Taylor really be called swift?

Quote Originally Posted by Suspence View Post
    I think it would be!
    The implication of "It also explains why Socrates never found out that Diogenes was shagging his wife" is that this is a bad thing.

But why is it bad that he never found out? If the information was truly useless, then not finding out wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. You could argue that not knowing about it is bad even if Socrates couldn't do anything with the information, but clearly he could.

If I was the acquaintance then I would have answered 'yes' to the last filter. The rumour would then been known to Socrates, who could then use it some way (confront his wife, search for more evidence).

Oh boy, Socrates... I had to read Parmenides for an English class, acknowledged as the most difficult of the Socratic dialogues, mainly because it's a really abstract thing about the relationship of one and many. At least this one doesn't make my brain hurt, and actually seems to be useful for something.

Socrates sounds like a bit of a dick. The dude was his friend, maybe he just wanted to talk to enjoy the music of conversation. Instead Socrates humiliated him and made him feel dumb. It would be best to at least hear the rumor, you could erase it from your memory if you don't find it worthy but knowledge never necessarily hurts.

My knowledge of Socrates is pretty dim but isn't he the guy who declared almost all of the early scientific "facts" without testing a single one?