Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Bans

Sys

Default Smoking Bans

(So I'm pretty sure this fits in Mature Topics and hasn't been discussed, if not, my apologies.)

I was wondering what everyone thought about smoking/tobacco bans in various places.

I haven't researched different countries and bans, but I can speak about where I live, Tenessee, USA:
    +In elementary and high school there was the obvious smoking/tobacco ban (since we were all under-age).
    +On October 21, 2007, Tennessee banned smoking in restaurants, public and private educational facilities, heath care facilities, etc. So essentially all public places. Google 'Tennessee Smoking' for all kinds of related articles.
    +At my university, last year when I started they passed a full smoking/tobacco ban. The only place on campus you can smoke is in your own private vehicle (unless its a motorcycle). Originally there were designated areas to smoke, but they didn't really work so this policy was put into effect. Our school's president was a former heart-surgeon, so that had a little to do with it too. However there aren't any monetary fines and campus police can't make you put the cigarrete out, they can only "ask" you to.
    +Additonally, a hospital an hour from my house will no longer hire potential employees if they use tobacco. So not only can you not smoke at the hospital (which yeah, I understand that, but if you smoke at your home, you can't work there).

I don't know about if where everyone lives is this extreme, but these are just some examples of some smoking bans. I was just wondering what everyone felt about them, both smokers and non-smokers alike. I can't say that I would ever willingly want to use tobacco, but I certainly wouldn't want to eliminate any public areas for someone to smoke.

Thoughts?

MXmadman

Considering how many negative effects second-hand smoke has, I can't say that all the regulations on where you can and can't smoke bother me.

If you don't like it, there's a pretty simple option: you can try to quit.

The US banned the flavored filtered cigarettes (asides menthol). so now Darjum cloves are banned in the US. Those were the only ones I ever "liked".

The reason for the ban was it seemed to be starter cigs for kids due to flavored fillters. Of course I was like 16-17 when I first tried them, so I guess it was a good idea. But then again California taxes smoking up the you know what so each pack of 16 was like 6.50 or 7 bucks.

(Note: I never actully really started smoking, just tried it a few times)

I really hate smoking bans.
    So, you don't like the smoke in bars?
    Don't go to fuckin' bars.
    Oh, but the small amount of secondhand smoke you encounter through smokers walking through town really bothers you?
    If you're that concerned about your lungs, you should be bitching about emissions regulations far more than smoking bans, given the car exhaust is A. more plentiful than secondhand smoke in urban/suburban areas, and B. is far worse for you.
    Smoking bans are bullshit political exercises in the same "make people feel better without actually doing anything useful" category as the new airport security regulations.

Sys

Quote Originally Posted by diaperlover93 View Post
    Oh, but the small amount of secondhand smoke you encounter through smokers walking through town really bothers you?
    If you're that concerned about your lungs, you should be bitching about emissions regulations far more than smoking bans, given the car exhaust is A. more plentiful than secondhand smoke in urban/suburban areas, and B. is far worse for you.
    Smoking bans are bullshit political exercises in the same "make people feel better without actually doing anything useful" category as the new airport security regulations.
    There are people with alergies, asthma, etc. who have triggers that are tobacco smoke. I know of two people on campus who I've seen wearing masks around areas where people continue to smoke. Granted, not everyone has such adverse reactions as they do, but there are people out there that are seriously threatened by the smoke, whether that constitutes a full ban though?
    I personally don't like walking through smoke, regardless of where I am. And if you're smoking on campus and I walk near someone smoking, I generally cough to make a point, or ask them to put it out. Does it help? No, not really, but just trying to make a point.

i'm agreeing with diaperlover93 in the principle of his points. many places that discouraged smoking on the grounds of 'health' did so simply to save money on providing adequate ventilation (aeroplanes being a prime example). overall, i think it's an attack on the individual as the governments responsible could very easily (in the UK, at least) stop the importation of tobacco and it is this two-faced attitude ("here, have a fag" and then, "no, don't smoke!") that really pisses people off and makes them want to smoke even more in retaliation.

Quote Originally Posted by sys
    I generally cough to make a point,
    oo, worst thing you could do: irritates the lining of the throat and makes it susceptible to further irritation by the smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by sys
    or ask them to put it out
    oo, and that risks being punched.
    best to just hold your breath as you walk on by; at least that way you'll be exercising your lungs

Diaperlover93:
    What about the people working in bars, restaurants,... Don't they deserve to be protected from the second hand smoke? I mean, when I was a waiter and when smoking was allowed, my eyes would have been all red from irritation and I would cough more often, since I used to spend like more than 12 hours a day in a smoke filled area. Imagine what could happen on to somebody's lungs after working a full career (40 years or something). It's the customer's choice to smoke, it's the customer's choice to go to a bar where people smoke but it's not the employee's choice to inhale second hand smoke all day long!!! It's been more pleasant to work since smoking has been banned from public places.

There were this commercial about smoking and how people react about it, in french the motto was "fumeur ou pas, restons courtois" which I would translate like this: "Smoker or not, let's stay courteous"

MXmadman

Quote Originally Posted by diaperlover93 View Post
    Great idea! Limit me on which places I can and can't visit because of you and other smokers' personal choices! I sure like the sound of that!

There's a huge difference between car exhaust and second-hand smoke. Last time I checked, most cars usually run outside. Most smokers smoke inside. It takes an incredible amount of exhaust emission to actually concentrate itself outside, whereas it really doesn't take but one or two people's cigarette smoke to be noticeable inside a bar. Besides, now that the vast majority of cars have catalytic converters on them, the smoke they emit is far less toxic than cigarette smoke. I've been to Los Angeles, and I couldn't notice the smog in the air at all. It takes very little cigarette smoke for me to notice it.

The other thing to consider is that most people are almost required to drive to get where they're going. Not everybody has the luxury of having public transportation at their beck and call, and not everybody can hop on the bike and ride a few blocks to get where they're going, either. Smoking is purely a choice. The only things "forcing" you to light up another cigarette are peer pressure and nicotine addiction.

Bars aren't the only places that used to allow smoking but can't anymore, so "don't go to fuckin' bars" isn't always an option, either. Most bowling alleys used to allow smoking. I'm an avid bowler, and I remember constantly having to fight through colds during bowling season. Strangely enough, that has stopped since our local bowling alley prohibited smoking indoors. What a coincidence, am I right?

I'm sure I sound like some total anti-smoking nazi by now. Personally, I have no problem with people stepping outside and having a smoke when they want one. Besides, it may surprise you to know that this post is coming from a former smoker.

Ok, I'll put in my $0.02 here. I'm a smoker, and while I don't particularly care much for the bans for inside establishments, I can understand where people are coming from with them. Obviously there are adverse health risks associated with smoking so I understand that people who choose not to smoke shouldn't have to really sit through a smoky situation. My issue is with bars, I think one should be allowed to smoke in them, provided the establishment provides an acceptable ventilation system. Patron's who go to bars are obviously not doing anything to help their health and I'm as guilty of it as anyone. As for staff there, again it's a bar and they should know that people will smoke and factor the risks.

What really grinds my gears is the outdoor smoking bans. I had my first encounter at this at a bar in New York City this summer. It was a beautiful late summer night, and we were sitting OUTSIDE at a bar. I lit up seeing as we were outside and I've never had any issue at any bar elsewhere (seeing as I never go to NYC, as I'd rather have a root-canal than visit that asphalt wasteland). I barely have a puff and I'm being yelled at. That I think is outrageous. I'm being told to not smoke when quite frankly, the air quality in NYC is maybe just slightly less than pure. This goes too far in my opinion. I'm outside, the smoke will dissipate and people wont be bothered. If this was an outdoor juice-bar at a health club, I could understand but it wasn't. It's a BAR dammit! They serve liver killing booze there.

Sys

I know since Tennessee put its smoking ban into place one of the few public place you can smoke inside is if the establishment is designated 21-and-up. Or, I know one of the clubs I go to has a designated "smoke-porch" and people also smoke outside the front doors.