Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: God, people MUST be stupid to believe anything...

Default God, people MUST be stupid to believe anything...

Here's the scoop,

I get these random e-mails and one is so funny, it's not real... I got an e-mail from the FBI claiming I have money overseas from some lottery thing and they are trying to reach me to let me know about it...

I have to laugh, because the grammar is so terrible, and the phone number is clearly not an American number. A few digits too many. I also know an FBI agent who is a friend, and he has told me the bureau would not send an e-mail to someone.

Some people will believe anything, and I guess it must be working for them. How dumb are people, I mean... it's clearly a scam. Even I could see that. HA! I just delete the damn messages.

I just love human stupidity.

WildThing121675

I bet you couldnt imagine how many people fall for those scams!
    Hundreds of thousands of people who are dumb enough to fall for e-mail scams each year! The scammers make BILLIONS each year off of e-mail scams, BILLIONS. When you think about it, one scammer in Africa could easly make hundreds of thousands off of scams in the US alone, and can live like a king in these countries, with little chance of ever being caught. If you live in one of these areas, and are dirt poor, cant feed yourself, all you need to do is find yourself a laptop, set everything up, and hit the scam lottery.

In 2009, scammers made 9.3 billion on cash advance scams alone, and that is only for that type of scam.
    419 Scams Rake in $9.3 Billion in 2009 | Maximum PC

here is a couple good examples of how folish people can be
    Proof that Email Scams Still Work: Woman Loses $400K | Maximum PC

BBC NEWS | Technology | E-mail scam victim counts his losses

Butterfly Mage

My favorite one is the SPAM mail from some old hag in Nigeria claiming to have several million dollars laying around and has no family or husband. So of COURSE sh wants to donate it to a "worthy" religious institution (how the Nigerian scammers found out my coven even exists is a bit of a mystery). But... I'm pretty sure the hag is as fictitious as the million bucks, har har.

I agree with Butterfly Mage, I love the ones from lonely old widows that want to give you ONE-HUNDRED THOUSAND MILLION USA DOLLARS in total.

Like, the all-caps totally is going to ring me into it. 8D

Me, I find them funny, I most times laugh at them and delete them because I am not that dumb. Especially when it comes to ones from the FBI, because as I said earlier, the FBI won't e-mail you and it sure as hell won't have terrible grammar.

God, it is so funny that people fall for this crap.

I saw one report on local TV a few months back in which someone fell for it, because it was supposedly from the FBI-like the e-mail I got and the dude was scared. Dude lost major money too. If you find something funny, you call the FBI, and not respond to the e-mail, GOD.

I also hate the ones you get from banks where you have no bank accounts at. I was getting ones from Bank of America, and I don't bank there, or US Bank, and also; Wells Fargo. I don't bank at those institutions. People must be really stupid. Guess what, scammers, say HELLO, to my deleted files.

OH! And another favorite scam of mine, webcam girls. Girls claiming to be AB, and want a daddy, but they turn out in reality to be webcam girls who want you to sign up on some clearly scammy web identity page that wants your credit card info to confirm who you are.

I can usually smell a scam as soon as bad grammar pops up on the IM, or too much netspeak... which is something I abhor.

WildThing121675

As a Mac user, I just find it hilarious when you get those mock virus scanner adverts.

It's quite scary how well done those adverts are, however. Really could fool someone not completely computer illiterate.

EmeraldsAndLime

I've been selling some stuff online recently (textbooks) and I've put up a few ads around.

This one gent emailed me and said he was interested in one of my books (for $80). I sent him a reply asking him if he could pick it up, or if we could arrange a meet somewhere.

He sent me back this god-awful email saying something along the lines of, "hi i actually live in the uk so you'll have to ship it *1 however i'll pay you $800 *2 for the book plus shipping fees. sorry i can't pay by any other means than money transfer *3. please ship the book and i'll pay you the $800 as soon as possible"

Okay, so
    1. I specifically said in my ad that it was pickup, or meet-up somewhere ONLY.
    2. $800 for ONE textbook that he could probably buy for cheaper over there brand new? As if.
    3. Money transfer, and you want me to send you the book BEFORE you pay? Fuck off.

So people just don't even try.

Butterfly Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    I've been selling some stuff online recently

Okay, so
    1. I specifically said in my ad that it was pickup, or meet-up somewhere ONLY.
    2. $800 for ONE textbook that he could probably buy for cheaper over there brand new? As if.
    3. Money transfer, and you want me to send you the book BEFORE you pay? Fuck off.

So people just don't even try.
    I get that crap on eBay all the time. When I sell something, I always say "Paypal require, no international shipments, no negative-rep bidders".

So of COURSE I always get some illiterate punks with requests that read "Can U ship too UK?" or "My mom wont let me have paypal. Can U take her CC insted?" or "Why wont U let me bid? -5 isnt tat bad!"

Ha ha ha ha!

What's worse nowadays is that buyers can't even receive a neg-rep on eBay when they refuse to pay.

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    I get that crap on eBay all the time. When I sell something, I always say "Paypal require, no international shipments, no negative-rep bidders".

So of COURSE I always get some illiterate punks with requests that read "Can U ship too UK?" or "My mom wont let me have paypal. Can U take her CC insted?" or "Why wont U let me bid? -5 isnt tat bad!"

Ha ha ha ha!

What's worse nowadays is that buyers can't even receive a neg-rep on eBay when they refuse to pay.
    Part of the reason why eBay Australia only allows PayPal, cash on pick-up or C.O.D.

LilLillyKitten

I always delete emails that I do not recognize...