Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSM-V is up for Review and Comment

dprdinky

Default DSM-V is up for Review and Comment

DSM-V is on-line for review and comments. Comments will be accepted
    until sometime in April.

http://www.dsm5.org

For those you don't know, the DSM is the American Psychiatric Association's "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders".

The DSM, whether deservedly or not, holds much sway in defining "normal" behavior, thoughts, and related. The sections relating to Paraphillias located under Sexual and Gender Identity Disorder could be of some interest in relation to *B/DL. Check such things as "Fetish", "Sexual Masochism" and "Sexual Sadism" which maybe of interest.

There is a place to login or register your comments regarding the proposals.

I'm sure they would appreciate some insights from people on being catagorized as such.
    Last edited by dprdinky; 11-Feb-2010 at 17:24.

annierighthurr

link?

Yeah I heard they were going to do away with a couple things, add in a few more, and in general be more "politically correct". Only makes life harder for people already labeled by their stupid system like myself.

Actually astounding hearing about the wake caused by them changing manic depressive to bipolar, screwed up a lot of things including how serious it was taken as an illness.

They are going to take out Asperger's and make it all autism. It's about time they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    They are going to take out Asperger's and make it all autism. It's about time they did.
    I was under the impression that aspergers was going to be grouped WITH autism spectrum. They changed autism to "autistic spectrum", with "aspergers disorder" under it. Not doing away with it, just consolidating everything, as before aspergers was not under autism. You still have to meet a different criteria for aspergers then you would for "autistic disorder". Everything is pretty much the same as it has been, just some name changes and wording changes.

(something funny, been seeing this topic on all the autism and psych boards, and end up making a reply about the same topic here on adisc, lol)

annierighthurr

Oh yay. This is going to turn into another thread about asperger's. Why am I not surprised? :|

Quote Originally Posted by annierighthurr View Post
    Oh yay. This is going to turn into another thread about asperger's. Why am I not surprised? :|

LOL because lot of us here are aspies.

annierighthurr

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    LOL because lot of us here are aspies.
    No. Really? I would have never guessed. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by annierighthurr View Post
    ???, it is a thread about the dsm, and the OP didnt mention anything about autism. I was under the impression that the person started a thread to talk about the dsm
    The OP mentioned changes under "Paraphillias", another person said about bipolar, and another said about aspergers. Hardly a thread about aspergers, and more like a thread about the dsm, correct? I take it you have some sort of problem with aspergers, so I guess it could now turn into a thread about that?

I also have motor tics, learning disabilities, and ptsd, does anyone know about any changes to those? (yet more ways the discussion could go)

annierighthurr

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    ???, it is a thread about the dsm, and the OP didnt mention anything about autism. I was under the impression that the person started a thread to talk about the dsm
    The OP mentioned changes under "Paraphillias", another person said about bipolar, and another said about aspergers. Hardly a thread about aspergers, and more like a thread about the dsm, correct? I take it you have some sort of problem with aspergers, so I guess it could now turn into a thread about that?

I also have motor tics, learning disabilities, and ptsd, does anyone know about any changes to those? (yet more ways the discussion could go)
    I don't have a problem with Aspergers. It gets annoying when every thread turns into a debate about it.