Thread: Long shot.

Default Long shot.

This is a long shot on this one, so if theirs any medical people here, comment below

I'm a sophmore in highschool, and a member of our schools chorus. I consider it a major part of my social life as a singer. However, I recently found out I have sleep apena. So doctors want to remove my uvula, tonsils, and adnoids. I have heard that removing the uvula can cause you to lost the ability to change your pitch. which would be a drastic problem in my case, being a singer.

Will any of this effect my singing?

Again, it's a long shot posting this here, but you never know who could be a member. I'm going to ask my doctor next week when we do surgery prep, But i need to find out now. Please keep srs responces below

'Fraid I can't answer the singing question. But if I was in the same situation, I would ask if it was possible to just remove the tonsils & adenoids; maybe just removing those would take care of the sleep apnea, and you wouldn't have to have your uvula removed.

I know it isn't always the greatest source, but the following quotes are from Wikipedia:

Function in voice

The uvula plays a key role in the articulation of the sound of the human voice to form the sounds of speech.[3] Anita O'Day, a popular big band singer, had her uvula accidentally removed during a childhood surgery when only her tonsils were intended to be removed. This affected her voice by eliminating vibrato, she said, in an interview with Terry Gross of NPR's "Fresh Air" radio show, although the uvula is not responsible for vibrato (the vocal cords make this happen).[citation needed]

Snoring and sleep apnea

The uvula can also contribute to snoring or heavy breathing during sleep; having an elongated uvula can cause vibrations which lead to snoring. In some cases this can lead to sleep apnea, which may be treated by removal of the uvula or part of it if necessary, an operation known as uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (commonly referred to as UPPP, or U3P). However, this operation can also cause sleep apnea if scar tissue forms and the airspace in the velopharnyx is decreased. The success of UPPP as a treatment for sleep apnea is unknown, but some research has shown 4060% effectiveness in reducing symptoms.[4] Typically apnea subsides for the short term, but returns over the medium to long term, and sometimes is worse than it was before the UPPP.
    It doesn't sound like removal of the uvula will necessarily improve your sleep apnea...

On a side note, I used to snore like a freight train. After I had my tonsils & adenoids removed, I stopped snoring. Of course, the doctor also trimmed back my enlarged turbinates (they're in the nose; prior to the surgery, I couldn't breath through my nose), so I imagine that also had an impact.

Smile

Also from Wikipedia:

Patients who have had the uvula removed will become unable to correctly speak French...

The uvula is a place of articulation for a number of phonemes, some of which are used in French, almost none of which are used in English. I don't know how it might affect your singing voice, but I would guess that any substantial change in the shape of your mouth will affect the way your voice sounds.
    Whenever a doctor talks about surgery, get a second (or even a third) opinion. A few years ago a doctor wanted to do a dicy detail on my nether region. I went to another doctor who ran a fertility test and discovered that I was totally fine. Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Inukaza View Post
    This is a long shot on this one, so if theirs any medical people here, comment below

I'm a sophmore in highschool, and a member of our schools chorus. I consider it a major part of my social life as a singer. However, I recently found out I have sleep apena. So doctors want to remove my uvula, tonsils, and adnoids. I have heard that removing the uvula can cause you to lost the ability to change your pitch. which would be a drastic problem in my case, being a singer.

Will any of this effect my singing?

Again, it's a long shot posting this here, but you never know who could be a member. I'm going to ask my doctor next week when we do surgery prep, But i need to find out now. Please keep srs responces below
    I would hope surgery isn't the only thing the dr suggested...I have moderate sleep apnea and my mom has severe sleep apnea and we both sleep with cpap machines which while a little intrusive it works very well...surgery is usually the last resort after everything alse has been tried...has your doctor talked w you about getting on a cpap machine?? Chances are very likely that it will work for you. And you could avoid surgery all together...good luck to you...I'm a singer too and have been singing acapella and in groups for awhile and I can tell you the uvula does help with controlling pitch...ask about the cpap and get a second opinion...m/ood luck to you

Well, My dad suggested it. He want's to keep my options open in case I decided to join the military. As they won't let you join with sleep apnea apparently.

My uvula right now is bigger then normal, and it is the actual cause. He thinks we should take out the aednoids and tonsils for a procausionary measure. idk. The doctor called back and said this will be a guaranteed side effect. I need to think about it i guess.

I've had my tonsils and adenoids removed, and I'm a pretty good singer. I've never heard about removing the uvula, and I don't believe I would have it done. What's the chance about having a plastic surgeon reducing the size of the uvula to where it is more normal in size? Definitely get a second opinion, in my opinion.