Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make my own chess set

Default Make my own chess set

So, I am thinking for a summer project that I build a chess set, like a really good one. I am wondering....has anyone here done that before? I want to make the pieces out of some type of rock, maybe marble or something. How difficult is it to sculpt and carve rock? Could I do it with no experience and just learn as i go?

I think it would be very difficult. At least it would be for me, but you should talk to Link. He's into wood carving and I think he's quite good at it.

Why thank you dogboy. Well, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to sculpt rock if you had the right tools. I'm guessing that if you have no experiance, then you also don't have the tools. I can help you if you're fine with switching to a wood median, but if you really want to use stone then I can't help you. To make the chess peices (unless you want incredible detail) all you need is a basic pocket knife.

Lego Has!

But seriously, good luck in your quest in building a chess set. I am not that intrigued in chess but this is a decent and great feat you are planning to do I guess. Remember to consult experts first!

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    Why thank you dogboy. Well, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to sculpt rock if you had the right tools. I'm guessing that if you have no experiance, then you also don't have the tools. I can help you if you're fine with switching to a wood median, but if you really want to use stone then I can't help you. To make the chess peices (unless you want incredible detail) all you need is a basic pocket knife.
    I May switch to wood, since wood will be a lot more economical to use, I will keep in touch with you. What wood would you suggest to use to make these pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    I May switch to wood, since wood will be a lot more economical to use, I will keep in touch with you. What wood would you suggest to use to make these pieces?
    I suggest basswood. The best quality I've ever found was at this site National Balsa

If you're really going to go for it, I can show you the steps. If you know how to start, finishing is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    I suggest basswood. The best quality I've ever found was at this site National Balsa

If you're really going to go for it, I can show you the steps. If you know how to start, finishing is easy.
    I know how to make the board, i can do that in wood shop, but as for the pieces...help would be GREATLY appreciated!