Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop is being an ass

Default Laptop is being an ass

Soo yeah, my laptop normally runs very smooth and stuff and I've easily gotten rid of viruses before, but I'm officially stuck :/ It started a day or two ago. I've been getting fake popups (online AND offline) for a fake virus scanner called Vista Guardian and my computer is beginning to run slower. I've ran AVG and it says that there is no virus. I've ran a malware scanner which detected a threat and said it deleted it but didn't. Even as I type this I'm getting the popups again. Any suggestions before I rip every strand of hair from my head??? Thanks in advance...

Er...As far as finding out and killing it, i don't know. But, there's always the foolproof method of "Nuking" your computer.

I need to nuke mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Little Tyler View Post
    Er...As far as finding out and killing it, i don't know. But, there's always the foolproof method of "Nuking" your computer.

I need to nuke mine...
    Oh? What is nuking? You've struck my interest

The dreaded word: reformat. If nothing gets rid of it, starting over will. Just be sure to save the important stuff.

That's a great idea Thanks guys! I'll get my discs and drives and back everything up.

Try opening up task manager and look under processes.

Google search everything running under your name (not "system"). It is likely (but not certainly) to be using a slightly higher amount of memory than most of the stuff running.
    From there you might be able to find more information about what is doing this to you.

Reformatting is the best option. Also a great time to upgrade!

I need to reformat mine too.

Got two viruses that I need to kill.

Got to back everything up though cause I'm going to windows 7.

I've effectively used pastrami's method on viruses that my scanner couldn't delete (in time)

Yeah, I'm currently backing up everything I intend to keep and writing down everything I intend to re-install. Thanks everyone for the tips and hopefully I'll be back up on this laptop soon