View Poll Results: After reading the definitions in my post below, would you say that:

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an AB/DL and I have the SECURE attachment type

13 32.50%
  • I'm an AB/DL and I have the AVOIDANT attachment type

11 27.50%
  • I'm an AB/DL and I have the ANXIOUS attachment type

10 25.00%
  • I'm an AB/DL and I do not have a consistent attachment type (or think this is nonsense)

5 12.50%
  • I'm a care-giver and I have the SECURE attachment type

0 0%
  • I'm a care-giver and I have the AVOIDANT attachment type

0 0%
  • I'm a care-giver and I have the ANXIOUS attachment type

0 0%
  • I'm a care-giver and I do not have a consistent attachment type (or think this is nonsense)

1 2.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Types of "attachment" in adult relationships

Question Types of "attachment" in adult relationships

I was reading about some psychological study about the different types of attachment that people have in romantic relationships, and I was curious as to whether AB/DLs and care-givers are more of one type than another. I don't (yet) have any information to compare AB/DLs against the population as a whole, but anyway...

Would you say that...:

1. I find it relatively easy to get close to others and am comfortable depending on them and having them depend on me. I don't often worry about being abandoned or about someone getting too close to me. (SECURE)

2. I am somewhat uncomfortable being close to others; I find it difficult to trust them completely, difficult to allow myself to depend on them. I am nervous when anyone gets close, and often love-partners want me to be more intimate than I feel comfortable being. (AVOIDANT)

3. I find that others are reluctant to get as close as I would like. I often worry that my partner doesn't really love me or won't want to stay with me. I want to merge completely with another person, and this desire sometimes scares people away. (ANXIOUS)

Apparently, the type of attachment that you have with your parents when you are a baby is an indication of the attachment you will later have in romantic relationships. I wondered if this was in any way related to our love of nappies, etc... Anyway, for what it's worth, I reckon I'm an "avoidant" type - shy, insecure or mis-trusting? Don't ask me!

I am both a caregiver and AB/DL - I can get really close to a partner, or good friends. I sometimes worry that my girlfriend might be too dependant - but only because she needs to live her own life - I love the fact she wants to be with me that much!

I have a great relationship with my parents, really open and friendly, I always feel wanted when I go back home, and would trust them with nearly anything (apart from my fetish).

What does this say about me then?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ukdl1989 View Post
    What does this say about me then?
    Not much to go on, but it sounds like you're a secure, well-adjusted, lucky git!

Loopygone

I'm probably the avoident type tbh, it takes a long time for me to build up trust, and to be comfortable with another person. I've always felt that the abdlness is like the counter to that, since babies/toddlers trust real easy.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    I'm probably the avoident type tbh, it takes a long time for me to build up trust, and to be comfortable with another person. I've always felt that the abdlness is like the counter to that, since babies/toddlers trust real easy.
    Yeah... I think that being an AB/DL is (for me) an escape from responsibility and the pressure of social expectations. Babies/toddlers can do pretty much whatever they like without being thought of badly.

I wondered if people with a "avoident" traits (like you and I) would be more likely to be AB/DL...

25%, 25%, 25%, 25%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%

I can definately see a pattern here:
    "ABDL" doesn't define a person enough to make him any less unique

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by r0bino View Post
    25%, 25%, 25%, 25%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%

I can definately see a pattern here:
    "ABDL" doesn't define a person enough to make him any less unique
    We're all unique! You can't be more or less unique than anyone else!

Anyway, it's such a small sample with an inevitable selection bias, but
    if we could rely on the data, they might show (as they currently do) that AB/DLs are evenly split throughout the categories. If a similar poll on a non-AB/DL site showed that 75% were "secure", then the data would suggest a correlation between AB/DL-ism and "avoidant" and anxious "types".

It's interesting to see an even spread, though. Thank y'all for voting!

I see 2 sides to this. In public I'm "avoidant". I don't like thinking people are watching me. It makes me feel uncomfortable. However in private I would say I'm the "Secure" type. I'm never worried about anyone leaving me and I'm close in private, but in public I might give a peck on the lips, no mad make-outs that just seem like someone is trying to show-off.

Loopygone

Hmmm, after having a think (brain hurts!)... Maybe I'm avoident BECAUSE I'm an AB, I get scared of what the other person will think when it comes to the time to tell about this side of me, so I rarely let it get to that point.
    I think once I do man up enough to tell someone, and they accept it and activily particpate then that attachement will probably change to a secure one. Because the major blockage stopping me from totally opening up will have been removed, and accepted. Sadly being avoident means its hard to form relationships in the first place really....

I've always been a very anxious person. When I was little, I would cry and scream whenever my mom left me in the nursery or school or even at home with a babysitter. I remember one time at VBS, I must have been about three or four, and I wouldn't stop crying, so whenever my brother got a chance he would sneak in and comfort me until he had to go back. I'm not as bad as I used to be, but I still get anxious whenever I'm away from my mom. But I'd have to say that, with Brian, I have an avoidant attachment to him.