Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving Blood

Default Giving Blood

They are having a blood drive at my school next week and I was thinking of donating, but am a bit worried to do so. I am mainly worried about the sterilization of their equipment, there are a lot of people there and it just makes me think that "Will they forget to sterilize something"? Does it hurt to give blood, like what do you feel like during and after the ordeal? Am I allowed to drive after it? What can and can't I do after giving? Hoe much do they usually take?

GaashaHuzzah

Just give blood, they prep you to see if your blood is safe, you don't have to worry about getting AIDS.

Plus you get a cookie and that's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    "Will they forget to sterilize something"?

Does it hurt to give blood, like what do you feel like during and after the ordeal?

Am I allowed to drive after it?

What can and can't I do after giving?

How much do they usually take?
    Well from how they ran the blood drive at my school...

Theres no need to worry about sterilization. They open up a new sterilized kit for every person.

The needle in and out hurts a bit. (unless you have one of the Uber nurses that gets it in and ya dont notice) but ya dont really feel anything besides that. Maybe a bit light headed afterwards. BUt they give you juice and cookies. ^_^

Probably would be best to rest up a bit before driveing anywhere, dont wanna pass out on the way home.

As for can and cants.... well you cant run a marathon after giveing blood. lol. All i would say for after, is dont stress yourself out too much.

And i believe the standard they take is 1pint.

Trust me, they don't mess around sterilisation, everything will be 100% safe!

I'm considering giving blood myself (I'd have to lie to do so (bisexual), so debating whether I want to or not), and after looking into it it doesn't seem worrying at all.
    In England there's a website with FAQs (even a virtual tour of the blood centre, wow!), I'm sure they'll be an American site.
    In fact: American Red Cross - Give blood

I do have a case of anxiety, so will that be something to be concerned with in regards to donating?

Butterfly Mage

Donating blood has always been a sore topic for me. I'm a gay man that has always been in monogamous relationships (three partners in all, ever). I don't have AIDS and it's unlikely that I ever will. But the Red Cross won't allow me to give blood because I am gay. Now, my slutty sister can give blood, despite having over 1,000 sexual partners in her lifetime, but the Red Cross will let her donate. Which of us two is more likely to have AIDS?

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    Donating blood has always been a sore topic for me. I'm a gay man that has always been in monogamous relationships (three partners in all, ever). I don't have AIDS and it's unlikely that I ever will. But the Red Cross won't allow me to give blood because I am gay. Now, my slutty sister can give blood, despite having over 1,000 sexual partners in her lifetime, but the Red Cross will let her donate. Which of us two is more likely to have AIDS?
    This sparked a massive discussion with my friends when we heard about it. Whilst none of us are gay, it still seemed wrong. From what we could hypothesise, it seems to be a fallback to the 70s/80s when AIDS was highlighted from gay relations - but there is a movement in the UK to try to overthrow this.

The question is, if you are sure you are clean, could you not lie about sexual orientation?

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    I do have a case of anxiety, so will that be something to be concerned with in regards to donating?
    I donated for the first time last month - I was nervous at the start, but afaik it won't cause a physical problem, if you tell the nurses they'll look after you.

In the UK, there was a tiny pin prick to test the blood - this was actually painless!

Then the insertion of the needle is a slight burning sensation - they scratch the skin to get the needle in, but it lasts for a second at the most.

The actual donation process feels weird, in that you can occasionally feel your hand going a bit weak - but nothing scary.

Then removing the needle can sting a little, though I felt nothing.

Afterwards, they advise (and give you) lots of fluids - squash/tea/coffee, and plenty of crisps and chocolate.

Other than my arm feeling a little weak for the evening, no ill effects at all.

They did make me sign a waiver stating I wouldn't be doing anything active after (like truck driving, race car driving, flying a plane) - but I was safe to drive an hour after.

Just don't go out drinking alcohol, it'll go straight to your system and you'll probably be wasted on one glass... dangerous game!

But anyway, I'd donate - the blood can only be used for 30 days, so there's a constant need, and it's a great feeling knowing you've saved someone's life from it!

Butterfly Mage

UKD:

I actually have been tested for AIDS twice and it was negative both times (I got tested after the relationships with me two prior partners ended). But I would feel uncomfortable lying because of religious reasons. Making a habit of telling falsehoods can diminish the power of my word.

I used to give blood quite a bit but I stopped, if my gay freninds blood is not good enough for them then they are not getting my blood anylonger.

If the blood is tested before they give it to someone why do they refuse blood form someone who had gay sex, if they tested it why couldn't they tell there was something wrong with it and just didn't use it or notify the doner that his or her blood would no longer be accepted.

Yeah. they don't mess around with that stuff. I was nervous my first time too (last october; donated just so I could get some free cookies because I was hungry), but you don't feel anything and the nurses are really nice about everything.

And yeah, you can drive afterward. They just make you sit for five minutes to make sure you aren't going to pass out.