Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Underage Be Tried As Adults

Default Should Underage Be Tried As Adults

Deputies: Teacher forced student to touch her breasts | Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota | WTSP.com 10 Connects

From Fark.com Comments: That's the point. If a minor cannot be responsible for what he's doing in such a situation, then can he be responsible in any other situation? Should a 17-year-old (or 15-year-old, depending on the state) be treated as though he's not responsible for what he's doing when it comes to assault, robbery, drug dealing, or murder? If so, then why should he not be held responsible when it comes to sex?
    It made me think so I'm passing it on. In a general sense, should people below the age of 18 be tried as adults? And, if so, then for what instances?

Those aged over 12 should be tried as adults for every criminal act such as assualt, trespassing, robbery, shoplifting, drug dealing, murder, illegal possession ect.
    Just as women should also be held just as accountable as men in all criminal instances.

Butterfly Mage

I work in criminal justice. The State has no trouble prosecuting minors as adults if the crime is reprehensible enough. If you're 15 in Baltimore and you buy a joint, you'll likely be tried as a juvenile. If you're 15 years old and you commit a murder, you'll likely be tried as an adult.

I remember one of my most loathsome juvenile offenders for which I had to do his pretrial release interrogation. He came from a rich family that posted a $250,000 bail. He was charged with first-degree rape. The twerp had the nerve to gloat about how he was surely going to evade justice because he was on his school's basketball team and "If Coby an get off, so can I".

In the UK I believe you get tried as an adult when you are 17, and I think that's the minimum age you have to be to go to prison.

I think that's fair really. If you're doing something terrible before you're 17, then you've been seriously let down by your parents/teachers/government. I'm not saying you become magically responsible on this arbitrary date, but yeah.

I'm not sure what the article had to do with this thread... But on sex: Under 16s (or whatever age for your country/state) can't consent to sex, and so can't really be tried for committing sexual acts.
    I have no idea what happens when an under 16 rapes somebody. I think that would be more of a metal health issue though, and being under 16 means you're under 17 anyway (well duh).

I think it depends on the situation, but in general 17 would indeed be a good age to change from juvenile to adult justice system. in some cases, people of 17 should be judged according to the juvenile justice system, just because some people of this age still haven't completely developed the parts in their brain that make them think rationally (yes I know, I am 17 myself) and at the same time, someone of the age of 16 should be able to be judged like an adult, like in the case Butterfly Mage described above.
    In all, I think that at the age of 16/17 it really is the judges call to decide if he/she should be convicted according to the juvenile system, or according to the adult system.

Peachy

Our legal system allows for young adults up to the age of 21 to be tried under juvenile law. It depends on their maturity - really immature young adults can be considered too immature for an adult sentence for crimes, so can still receive the punishment for juveniles (age 14-17). Generally, the punishment is reduced, and maximum prison time is 9 instead of 15 years. Not sure if they put young adults into the youth prison, or the adult one.

However, the general idea of punishment for crimes is not only punishment, but also educating and changing the criminals to a point where they can return into society without posing a risk to anyone. Obviously, that may be pointless for a 60 year old murderer, but someone imprisoned for drug dealing or assault will be released after a couple of years and needs some guidance on proper behavior. As such, slamming the full adult punishment in their face sounds unfair at times.

On the other hand, I find it weird that the maturity-clause only goes in one direction. Why can't mature minors be punished by the adult laws if they were mature enough to realize what they were doing?! However, that has to go by maturity, not purely by age, because there's quite a gap in different people's development (mental, and sometimes physical) in that age range!

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by teenlove View Post
    Just as women should also be held just as accountable as men in all criminal instances.
    It's not just the same though, is it? Men and women are of equal mental competency and maturity, children and adults are not.

A thirteen or fourteen year-old - however much they might disagree - is simply not an adult and has not developed to understand things as an adult does. They are not as responsible as adults and we certainly don't give them the responsibilities or rights of adulthood, so how can we treat them as adults in giving them the same punishments?

I'm not sure what the ideal cut-off point would be, but when you're dealing with children the focus has to be very different to when you're dealing with adults. I don't think punishment is the priority here, and throwing a teenager in jail to try and be tough or teach them a lesson is more likely than anything to immerse them in the criminal world and - to be blunt - fuck them up even more, I fear.

Someone who is fifteen can be tried as an adult in very serious cases cause they knew what they were doing and responsible enough, right? But society doesn't trust them to live on their away from their parents until a few years after, plus they can't get their driver's license till later on, get married, have sex, vote, or many any important decisions concerning their position in our society and junk. Teens aren't mature enough to make any decisions until they're at least 18 because they real don'tunderstand the world yet or know what they're doing. But man, if they do something bad, we should freaking hang them.

A teen who does something as awful as murdering or raping someone needs a lot of help. Not saying we should let them go, but if you throw a sixteen-year-old in a prison with adults or kids his own age, it's not going to fix anything. Kid needs rehab and counselling, not an environment filled with negative influences and other criminals. When you're a teen, you got your whole life ahead of you. Bad choices get made, but it's society's job to fix that. The solution isn't locking the kid away for the rest of his / her life or freakin hanging them or whatever, cause that doesn't help anyone. They should be working with these kids, not locking them away in the worst place possible.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by Slang View Post
    A teen who does something as awful as murdering or raping someone needs a lot of help. Not saying we should let them go, but if you throw a sixteen-year-old in a prison with adults or kids his own age, it's not going to fix anything. Kid needs rehab and counselling, not an environment filled with negative influences and other criminals. When you're a teen, you got your whole life ahead of you. Bad choices get made, but it's society's job to fix that. The solution isn't locking the kid away for the rest of his / her life or freakin hanging them or whatever, cause that doesn't help anyone. They should be working with these kids, not locking them away in the worst place possible.
    See this is two different issue's. The kid needs to be removed from society if he actively plans and executes a heinous crime and shows to be legally sane. So I agree in these cases as trying them as adults. Petty crime and crimes of passion, not so much this is when the seperation between the competency of adults and minors comes in.

But as for the after effect, the criticism of the prison system applies to the entire system outside of those who have life without parol. Putting any offender in a culture of revenge and punishment instead of rehabilitation isn't going to work.

I liked where it stated in the article, "her students really like her." Haha...I would have too. Okay, maybe not when I was that age, but it made me laugh.

As for juvenile defenders, I would say try them as adults if they committed a terrible crime accept for one thing. Until we clean up the criminal justice system, and in particular, the conditions of the jails and the brutality that goes on how can one dump a young teen into that mess. If they murdered someone, I suppose they get what they deserve. It's too bad that the system can't get to these kids before they commit terrible crimes.