Thread: The older Newbie and the young grammar freak!

Default The older Newbie and the young grammar freak!

Here we have a graphic representation of many introductory posts.

Note that both are annoying in their own right.

I remember the first time I heard someone use that phrasing. I was a teen and he was an adult and my brain did a hard stop and I asked him to repeat himself and he said it again. It was baffling then, and I find it less baffling only because I keep hearing it. Language is meant to be flexible, but I won't be taking advantage of that particular time-saver.

MXmadman

My dad always used to say to me, "Go make me a bag of popcorn".

I'd always remind him that such a thing is physically impossible.

Yeah, 'fraid I'm like the older guy in that comic strip. Where I'm from, the dialect has some interesting quirks, including the dropping of 'random' words:

Deletion of the object of the preposition. Example: Instead of saying "Would you like to come with us?" A Yooper might say "Would you like to come with?" This may be an influence from German, which has similar structures available in its grammar.
    The above quote is from the article 'Yooper dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'. I find it amusing; people who aren't familiar with the area probably won't get as much of a kick out of it as I do, however. For the record, adding 'us' to the end of the above sentence sounds very odd to my ear.

I understand that there are certain rules of grammar, but variations according to region (and that's largely due to the influence of immigrant languages) do occur. I don't see the point in calling people out on non-standard grammar in casual conversation. Unless something actually needs to be clarified, trying to start an argument over grammar is going to impede actual communication far more than minor variations in wording.

MXmadman

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    Yeah, 'fraid I'm like the older guy in that comic strip. Where I'm from, the dialect has some interesting quirks, including the dropping of 'random' words:

The above quote is from the article 'Yooper dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'. I find it amusing; people who aren't familiar with the area probably won't get as much of a kick out of it as I do, however. For the record, adding 'us' to the end of the above sentence sounds very odd to my ear.

I understand that there are certain rules of grammar, but variations according to region (and that's largely due to the influence of immigrant languages) do occur. I don't see the point in calling people out on non-standard grammar in casual conversation. Unless something actually needs to be clarified, trying to start an argument over grammar is going to impede actual communication far more than minor variations in wording.
    Nebraskans like to add prepositions to the end of sentences. For example, "Where is my coat at?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    I agree with this bit in particular. As much as I wish there were objective rights or wrongs in language and grammar, I don't think it's very often the case. For most of our history, the rules have been extremely lax and could be quite personal. I just use what I use. I try to be clear with people and hope they try to be the same with me. A lot depends on the audience. I am much less slangy, less sarcastic in text because these things can lead to confusion and misunderstanding. I tend to hold off on correcting people unless I think it will lead to confusion or if I think it's a genuine point of ignorance where someone is trying to be "correct" and clear but is in error.

In my part of the world people drop random syllables in some places and add completely unnecessary syllables in others, all while generally butchering the English language with a thick southern drawl.

EmeraldsAndLime

Travelling to North America definitely put my own accent and speech tendencies in perspective.

Apparently I speak with a not-so-Australian "Australian" accent. Though I point out to those who I met that I had slowed my regular speech down a bit. I do talk faster, but it seemed a few people at LAX couldn't understand what I was saying.