Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help, what to do?

Default Need help, what to do?

Hey, basically i am so stuck on what to do with life... I left school a year and a half ago with good GCSE's but didn't go to college. I really do not know what to do!!

Firstly, when i left school i went to do plumbing apprenticeship but due to the recession i couldn't get anyone to employ me.

I then changed to Public Services, but when that approached i sort of bailed. I don't know why, but i just did.

I've had a few jobs since, and thought about brick laying courses. Currently i work with my dad as a builders laborer :\.

Sadly i don't know what to do, i nearly have my driving license but still, what the hell shall i do!

BTW, i am 17, nearly 18. PLEASE help me! What did you do after school? What do you do now? What advise would you give me?

Thanks a lot

College. College. College.

Oh. And college.

If you enjoy working with your hands get a job you enjoy doing, if you don't think manual labor is for you go back to school.

Whatever you choose stick with it, don't take a job because you can do nothing and get paid for it, find something you like doing.

I found after many years of working on cars, which I enjoyed, that physical labor gave me peace of mind and a sense of accomplishment.

Not everyone has the same skills, what might be difficult for someone else might come easy to you, there is no harm in trying everything untill you find something that you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
    College. College. College.

Oh. And college.
    This. :P
    I thought I told you this before, tommy. :P

I have to agree with error404 here, College! it will open up alot more doors to you, and maybe reading about the courses offered will give you an idea about what you'd like to do in the future.

Definitely college, to echo what a few other people have said. Now is a good time to go to college, what with jobs being so scarce. Also, it will open up more opportunities, even if you later go into a job that isn't what you studied at college - the fact that you will have completed college will look good on your CV. It will show that you can stick at things, which employers like. Also, if you're not sure what you want to do, then college can give you an opportunity to try something new out.

Jobs are hard enough to get even with a degree, as I'm currently finding. If you don't have anything except GCSE's you're really gonna be pushing it.

As other said, College in today's world is very important. You are still young and there are so many doors that can still be open to you. If you enjoyed doing plumbing work, then stick with it. At your age you will find that unless you have a license in a craft, journeyman and then on to masters, it will be hard to find work.

There is so much more to learn and now is the time for you to do that.

Yeah, a degree is your best bet... it doesn't even really matter what it's in, it seems.

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here, but if you just look around and find places to apply to, eventually you'll find one that'll work out. You may end up doing something you don't want to do, but at least it'll put food on your table and money in your pocket until you can find something that works better for you.

Things might be different in the UK than they are here, but I also tried college and decided it simply wasn't for me. Not everybody can afford to go back to college, and even if you can AND you manage to stick with it long enough to get a degree (which is insanely expensive unless you can get a ton of financial aid somehow) you're not guaranteed anything except several years of paying back student loans.

Best thing to do if you are like me and have no intention of going back to college is to try and apply yourself to what you're good at. It may take awhile, but you'll eventually get your foot in the door somewhere.