Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probably a dumb question, but...

Default Probably a dumb question, but...

First a little history.

I've been into diaper all of my life. When my sister was still wearing them is when I started to study or look at them (I wouldn't DARE take one back then because I was too scared and I knew I'd get caught.) This is back in 1996 and diapers were still plastic backed back then. The first time I stole a diaper was at daycare in early 2001 and I wasn't paying close attention to it and just grabbed one. I went into the bathroom to try it out and when I looked at it I was completely shocked to find that it wasn't like I'd remembered them being 4 or 5 years earlier. They were cloth backed Pampers. I hadn't payed much attention to TV ads that might have mentioned the change so I was stunned but still oh-so-excited.

Anyway, my question is:
    When exactly did diapers switch from plastic backed to cloth?
    Last edited by gnd567; 04-Feb-2010 at 04:45.

Dude, legit, I have no idea. I'm a natural AB, so I've been into diapers for as long as I can remember, but I cannot honestly tell you when the crossover happened xD

Quote Originally Posted by gnd567 View Post
    Anyway, my question is:
    When exactly did diapers switch from plastic backed to cloth?
    I believe Pampers switched over around 1999-2000. I bought a pack around then and it was still plastic. Huggies was cloth backed before then. No idea about Luvs.

Around 2001 they had started to change them and phase them out. It may possible be a few years later than that though, like around even 2002 or 2004 once they had been finally phased out in America. I believe Luvs was actually one of the last to still make them plastic-backed.

Wow. The history of diapers, eh? Truth be told, I never even noticed there was a difference. I just liked them. xD I'm unobservent, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade917 View Post
    Wow. The history of diapers, eh? Truth be told, I never even noticed there was a difference. I just liked them. xD I'm unobservent, I suppose.
    Really? That's funny because most of what I've heard is how it's just a tragedy that diaper companies have switched to cloth. In fact, the plastic backing was for me one of the most memorable features of a diaper; hence, makeshift diapers when I was little would always, ALWAYS feature a plastic bag. Sometimes it would just be a plastic bag. I was really bummed when I first discovered that all the major companies went cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusBlueSnow View Post
    Around 2001 they had started to change them and phase them out. It may possible be a few years later than that though, like around even 2002 or 2004 once they had been finally phased out in America. I believe Luvs was actually one of the last to still make them plastic-backed.
    This is true, I remember buying some plastic backed Luvs in 2001 with Barney Prints on them :3

There wasn't a date it happened on... Different companys switched at diferent times. I couldnt tell you the order, but it turned into a trend.
    The trendsetter was mentioned earlier in the thread though....
    I miss the scent.... Nothing is scented anymore.... At least, not strong enough...

I noticed cloth like diapers in 1996 when I was ten. It was something new back then.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusBlueSnow View Post
    Yeah Luvs was the final holdout there was even a commercial for luvs saying something to the effect of why pay more for fancy tabs (IE Velcro) and fuzzy covers its a diaper LOL I love them for holding out as long as possible and I hate Huggies for starting the trend their line went to a cloth backed tape style then cloth Velcro before going unisex which ironically Luvs started I believe. Ah for the good old days of boy/girl specific diapers and plastic.