Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 2!

Default Mass Effect 2!

I hope I'm not the only fan of the Mass Effect series around here. The only reason I haven't been online in the last week is because I picked up the sequel after school the day it came out.

Now that I've finally beaten it, I'm excited to talk about it with others. It was pretty much some of the best 40 hours of gaming in recent memory. It had a few annoying issues (resource gathering was an unfun time waster, and the romance subplots didn't really feel genuine, since you could have one with nearly every party member), but the storyline and universe of the Mass Effect series never ceases to amaze me. And that last mission? I won't spoil it, but I can say it was intense, fast paced, and brilliantly written. I would compare it to the season five finale of Lost last year in the scope and feeling of it all.

I'd probably give it a 9.7 out of 10.

Any other opinions on the game? Or even the series, if you haven't had the chance to pick up the second one yet? I hope I'm not the only one around who enjoys losing himself in sci fi RPGs.

I have a question.

Is it fun to be anything other than the soldier? I found that in the first Mass Effect you ended up using your gun half the time no matter what "class" you chose so everything except the soldier was sort of bad. You use all your attacks in the first 10 seconds and then it is just a gun fight, but only the soldier can use all the guns. I could never get into the game. The missions were difficult to follow for me. I found that they didn't seperate them very well. Are these issues fixed?

being a different class in ME2 doesn't offer as much diversity as it did in ME1.. I just use solider in my files.

Anyways I just beat ME2 a few nights ago. I had 3 team members die on me note EVERYONE on your team can end up dead before the game is over that includes Shepard. Its not really a spoiler, I am just giving people a heads up.

Their odds of survival go up if you pass their "loyalty" mission.

I really want to try this game, but do I need to play the first one to understand the second?

I loved and still love Mass Effect and I have played it like 3 or 4 times trought. I'm going to play it again so I can get save games for Mass Effect 2. I don't own ME2 yet but I will buy it soon after I finish the first game. I'm fan of scifi and rp games so no wonder that story was very intresting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jjwow2 View Post
    I really want to try this game, but do I need to play the first one to understand the second?
    It certainly helps with understanding the different species and factions there are. Characters as well. If you really want to try this, just read a quickie plot synopsis somewhere that will inform you of the first game's major events.

I want to get ME2, but waiting until i finish ME1 first. Certainly not worried about not liking it (i have yet to play a Bioware game that i do not like)

I've not gotten a chance to play ME2 yet, although I did enjoy ME1. Bioware makes high quality stories. Although my favorite game by them would have to to be Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Also, when you play through and beat ME1 and you load it up again to play though, can't you pick another weapon or something to level up with/use? I don't remember exactly, but then again I was playing a soldier.

I just started ME2 last night and I'm liking what I see so far. It might have to wait until I finish Bioshock 2 first though. Haven't decided which to beat first.

I played some random mission, where I killed some douche for killing one of the friends of the protagonist, that in turn had told some guy where his daughter was, and I must say i was really unimpressed. I mean, dont take this as a final answer, but the fightings seemed kinda meh at best, with its goofy AI and the (what i think was a boss) was so easy, like shoot, duck, shoot,duck,reload and get hp (or shield or whatever)back, but I guess I'm gonna have to actually play the game from start to coment on it with a final answer :P