Thread: Immunity to pills?

Question Immunity to pills?

So I got this cold a couple days back. It has somewhat calmed down now to the odd cough and fatigue, but I cannot breathe through my nose. It is so clogged up I can't breathe through it (funny me trying to eat *chew* *chew* *gasp for air* *chew* Lol).

The thing is, I have taken all diferent kinds of Tylenol, 2 chlorotriplin, and 2 benedril (I don't know how to spell the stuff) today and none of it has worked. I am still stuffed up as ever. I even had delayed sleepiness from the benedril.

From what I remember, pills just don't seem to work for me. Ever. If I get nausea and take graval, I'm still nauseated an hour later. If I have a headache and take a couple of.. whatever the the hell those little red pills are (but it's headache medication, I know that much), I still have a headache.

Does anyone know a reason for why I might be so resistant to medication?

(Or a way I might be able to get air into my lungs tonight without having to change my pillowcase tomorrow morning? I don't imagine that being a nice feeling waking up in a puddle of spit...)

For a long time, I didn't care to take anything when I was sick unless it was prescribed by a doctor. When my work schedule got so hectic that I needed to cut back my downtime as much as possible, I tried decongestants. I have found them to be pretty hit or miss and it seems to change by the cold, so I couldn't settle on just one brand. Thankfully, I haven't been sick for a number of years and if I were, I'd have the time to recover properly. I think the only thing I ever found to really work for me with a heavy sinus congestion were the inhaled medicines. The effective duration was shorter, but they always made things at least noticeably better. If you want to work up to it, use Vick's Vaporub or something with eucalyptus, both of which can be quite helpful in clearing your breathing.

yeah, i think medicines like tylenol and asprine and benadril are mostly placebo effect. they're also ridiculously overused: we tend to have a faith-like reverence for medicine in our society, and believe that pills will solve all our problems.

the once medicine i will take if i'm so congested i can't sleep is sudafed (pseudoephedrine). that stuff DOES work: within half an hour of taking it my sinuses are dry as a bone. the only downside is that it also makes me feel REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY ENERGIZED, so i can't take it if my plans for the day involve any kind of rest and recovery.

The only decongestant that actually works for me is Olbas Oil, and even then it stops working after a couple of days. It's damn good stuff while it does work, though

Want a decongestant?
    Eat something containing capsin.
    Hot Wings, Wisabi, Horseraddish, Peppers...

Clear ya right up, plus give you a ton of Vitamin C, something else that you need when sick.

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Corri View Post
    Want a decongestant?
    Eat something containing capsin.
    Hot Wings, Wisabi, Horseraddish, Peppers...

Clear ya right up, plus give you a ton of Vitamin C, something else that you need when sick.
    That's what I do when I'm sick.

I go down to my local chilli chicken place and get the hottest dish possible.