Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else battling alcoholism

Default Anyone else battling alcoholism

Anybody else battling alcoholism? Kind of a ridiculous question and I don't really expect anyone to answer but I'm looking for someone to be my partner in staying alcohol free. I need to stop drinking and I want someone to keep me accountable. If anyone is interested, let me know. I want to change my life and I want someone to do it with me. There are a lot of people and situations that will hold me back and I know the only way I will succeed is through accountability. Anyone willing to step up, lemme know.

ps - this is not a moral judgment on drinking. If you can handle it and get all of your sh*t done, fair enough. I cant.

Sorry, I like killing my liver too much.

I like mah booz.(Vodka and jack.)

I currently am battling alcoholism, myself.

I promised myself about a week ago that I would not have any alcohol until I got through my first semester of college with good grades (and that would be the spring quarter of 2010). But today, I consumed a pint of 151 rum. And what for?

I hope that you will be more of a success in life than what I will ever be. That's all I can say.

I quit about 6 years ago, I didn't start drinking untill much later on in life than most people, but I made up for it in the next 2 decades.

Just like everybody says it is one day at a time, the longer you go without drink the better you will feel, best thing to do is use the money you would have on drinking to treat yourself to something you like, I used this method when I quit smokeing and it works the same for drinking.

My first gift to myself was a pair of expensive sneakers and I just kept going, next I went to electronic equipment and then on to cars.

I have tons of nice stuff and I don't need or want to drink anylonger...Hope you do well I would be happy to help if I could. B

Nope. I know perfectly how to control myself when it comes to alcohol. I've never had more than a few drinks. Not even enough to actually be drunk. It's important that I have this control because there is alcoholism in my family. I like to have a drink now and then, but I just don't see the big deal about getting drunk anyway. People get sick and miserable and do regrettable things. Doesn't appeal much to me.

I probably drink too much, but marijuana is my poison of choice. Sometimes I wish I could stop but I've smoked it every day of my adult life and I don't really know how to live without it. I have a good job and keep it discreet (I don't smoke at work!), but it has limited my life in many ways and definitely hasn't made me happy (quite the opposite).

Anyway, you can get moral support and someone to sponsor you from Alcoholics Anonymous. They also have a local (Seattle-based) group:

Greater Seattle Intergroup (Seattle, WA)
    5507 6 Avenue South
    Seattle, WASHINGTON 98108-2503
    United States
    Phone: (206)587-2838

I hope this helps and you find peace and happiness. Remember: you're stronger than you think, and if you can understand why you use alcohol so much, that's a good start to finding some healthy ways to respond to the same triggers.

Last edited by tiny; 02-Feb-2010 at 23:58.

Thanks for the responses. I really like the rewards approach. That makes a lot of sense.
    Thanks for the links Tiny. I'm nervous about AA, which is why I wanted to find a "sponsor" on here. Hopefully I can get a hold of myself without AA, but it is nice to know it is an option.

One day at a time. My girlfriend and I are going to try this really new thing. We're not going to drink this weekend. Imagine that. Maybe go see a movie or something. I honestly cant remember the last weekend I didn't spend being drunk and hungover. I'm kinda looking forward to this weekend. Should feel nice.

Every morning I say NO MORE! Every night its "just one more glass full".

I drank way too much until I developed a bleeding ulcer and clinically died. I went through the tunnel of light out in the parking lot of an emergency medical treatment facility. They rushed me to the hospital and put me in the intensive care unit. They put a tube up my nose and down into my stomach. Later they performed an endoscopy twice. At that time, you had to swallow a tube that was the size of a garden hose. I also received five units of blood.

Since then, I have never had more than one drink in a day. Most days I drink nothing alcoholic. I thought I would miss it but I didn't. I was just thankful to be alive. As it is, more than one drink doubles me up in pain. It's just not worth it.

My suggestion to you is that if you have a problem, go to AA and get a sponsor. I would love to help you quit, but you need someone in real life who can talk to you face to face, and someone you can call on the phone. You can beat this if you have the desire. Good luck.