Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for the adults in the room..... (Not really a mature topic, though.)

Default A question for the adults in the room..... (Not really a mature topic, though.)

This question came to mind just now, as I am listening to a Melvins album.

The Melvins used to be one of my favorite bands back when I was 13 and 14.

Now, I am listening to them, and wondering - what the hell did I ever see in them? They really suck.....

So, here's the question - are there any musical groups, movies, TV series, books, etc, that you loved as a child or teenager, but now wonder why you ever enjoyed them now that you are older and (hopefully) wiser?

A lot of the anime I used to watch and love - I return to it now and realize how silly and shallow it really did get, for example.

I would be interested in hearing what people here have to say about this.

Ever heard of a TV show called Sledge Hammer it is not that I liked it so much because I was nine and easily entertained, but what baffles me is that my Dad thought it was hilarious.

My son liked it when i showed it to him and I seriously had to question just out of hand my Dad's drug abuse was back then.

Quote Originally Posted by MarqueeMoon View Post
    Can you explain how The Melvins suck?
    The music is simplistic, even for grunge standards. This is a band that tries to mistake its own lack of talent for genius, and when I was 14, I actually bought into that. I'm older (and hopefully wiser) now, so I now see through that game.

dragon ball z... >.< nuff said. dragon ball on the other hand is ok.. ill think of other things

Quote Originally Posted by silent deadly alchemist View Post
    dragon ball z... >.< nuff said. dragon ball on the other hand is ok.. ill think of other things
    Ah, GAWD, I so can relate with that.....

Speaking of animes I loved when I was a teenager, but now realize are crap.....

Plastic Little
    New Cutey Honey
    Record of Lodoss War
    Legend of Crystania
    Legend of Lemnear
    Tetsuwan Birdy
    Project A-ko

This list can go on and on..... And that's not even counting the crappy hentai anime I used to watch. Ah, dear....

Loopygone

Quote Originally Posted by khaymen View Post
    Ever heard of a TV show called Sledge Hammer it is not that I liked it so much because I was nine and easily entertained, but what baffles me is that my Dad thought it was hilarious.

My son liked it when i showed it to him and I seriously had to question just out of hand my Dad's drug abuse was back then.
    I used to LOVE sledge hammer when I was little. I still find it amusing to some degree, but it is pretty bad.
    But yea, I find it with quite a few things really. Not with music because I wasn't interested in any music until I was 14-15, then I got into it in a big way.
    But I notice it with some kids shows from my youth, but thats more to do with how my minds changed.

Quote Originally Posted by kaworuchan View Post
    The music is simplistic, even for grunge standards. This is a band that tries to mistake its own lack of talent for genius, and when I was 14, I actually bought into that. I'm older (and hopefully wiser) now, so I now see through that game.
    I'm guessing you don't like Nirvana, Mudhoney, Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, etc. either?

Quote Originally Posted by Suspence View Post
    I'm guessing you don't like Nirvana, Mudhoney, Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, etc. either?
    Well, the bands you mentioned actually had some enthusiasm behind their lack of talent. I like them a lot more than the Melvins, who seemed to be going through their songs without any real energy now that I just started listening to them for the first time in about a decade.

Musical tastes are different from person to person, and reason cannot be attached to why somebody likes a certain musical group and not another one at the same time. Heh.