Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seattle AB/DL Aware Counselor?

Default Seattle AB/DL Aware Counselor?

Does anyone know of an AB/DL aware counselor, psychologist or psychiatrist in the Seattle area? I had a bad experience the last time I was open about it.

I anxiously await any responses.

Sparkz: sorry you had a bad time last go round and I'm sorry I don't have a name for you. Although there are a number of us in the Seattle area on the site, you might not get a positive response (maybe we're all just fabulously well-adjusted in all areas of life!). If not, you really shouldn't feel any anxiety about calling around and finding someone who has the right kind of experience. You're the customer and in order to be well-served, this is a very reasonable pre-qualification. Best of luck!

If they're a professional, and you explain it calmly and properly, any counselor should be accepting. If not, they deserve a good kicking.

I may be able to get you a number. I may be in the same boat as you, where I wanna talk to someone professional about my...things. Anyways, I was referred to a fetish psychiatrist, or actually a psychiatrist who specializes with fetishes. I'm not really sure what it all means yet as I have yet to go forward with it all. I'm still pretty scared to go myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    you really shouldn't feel any anxiety about calling around
    I thought about that and will probably end up doing so but I couldn't think of an opener/qualifier to start with since AB/DL is a pop-culture term and not always recognized in profession.

Has anyone come across any terminology that mental health professionals recognize us by?

"Hi, I was calling to see if you had any experience dealing with XXXX"

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thanksforallthefish View Post
    If they're a professional, and you explain it calmly and properly, any counselor should be accepting. If not, they deserve a good kicking.
    ^---< That is what my last counselor deserves then. I was made to feel like an outcast, pariah and that I would be the cause of a supposed imminent loss of my soon to be wife... all in 1 visit. It took me 3 months of gaining trust and courage to talk about it only to be driven to a near suicidal state. By far the worst I had felt since I was teenager. I've become very accepting of who I am and that person rammed me into depression that last for over a week.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Scalie View Post
    I may be able to get you a number. I may be in the same boat as you, where I wanna talk to someone professional about my...things. Anyways, I was referred to a fetish psychiatrist, or actually a psychiatrist who specializes with fetishes. I'm not really sure what it all means yet as I have yet to go forward with it all. I'm still pretty scared to go myself.
    I'd be very interested in that information. I'm ready to try again ASAP. I could even go first and tell you how it went if you like.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Wow, I did a Google search for "psychiatrist fetish seattle" and THIS THREAD was the 2nd item in the results. For some reason I thought that ADISC was excluding the forums from search engines.

Default My two cents

The medical term is infantilism...and you are right most therapist/phsych dr.s have never heard of it because most abdls never go to seek help or don't feel its a problem...one of the things you will find is most will tell you as long as you have other interests(healthy) and abdlism isn't your whole life and the fact it doesn't hurt anyone...they won't even attempt to cure you...lol not that there is much to be done...what they can do is help you through any bad feelings you have or conflicts that are causing you trouble...most abdls have problems only because society tells us its wrong to be an adult and still want to be a baby...but it for us is just an escape like a movie or video game...if you are having trouble dealing with who you are then seek out the help...remember you are the client and if you don't feel comfortable with the one you pick out then keep looking...

I know for my self at this point in my life I would never go see one because for me being ab is not a problem...I don't feel guilty or bad about it..there was a point in time were I did role play in my head about how I could bring it up to a therapist but I never had the guts and then an amazing thing happened..I accepted my self...good luck to you...pm me or email or instant message me if you want to chat..I live south of you...

For me there is no issue with who I am; I'm finally at a point where I can enjoy it all. My other half though would like a 3rd party to help her understand that it's not a destructive behavior and that my being a DL isn't causing harm by progressing some condition. She knew this about me before we even started dating and she understands it's not going away. We just need help communicating about it.

Default Makes perfect sense

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
    For me there is no issue with who I am; I'm finally at a point where I can enjoy it all. My other half though would like a 3rd party to help her understand that it's not a destructive behavior and that my being a DL isn't causing harm by progressing some condition. She knew this about me before we even started dating and she understands it's not going away. We just need help communicating about it.
    Fair enough and makes since...I apologize for making the assumtion and I wish you the best of luck...its good your gf or wife is willing to keep an open mind and wants to understand you...

Quote Originally Posted by waslost1234abc View Post
    Fair enough and makes since...I apologize for making the assumtion and I wish you the best of luck...its good your gf or wife is willing to keep an open mind and wants to understand you...
    No offense taken at all! I appreciate you're asking questions and offering input.