Thread: Pin-On Pampers?

Default Pin-On Pampers?

I was googling "vintage diapers" and found this 1972 Pampers ad. It looks like her diaper is pinned on! I've never seen this before. When did they switch to tapes?http://www.oneofakindwis.com/wp-cont...mpers-1972.jpg

Loopygone

I'm sure angela will come along and make a far better post then me :P But when disposibles started out they where indeed pin on, pretty much just a plastic backed sheet. Dunno exactly when tapes came about, probably in the 80's.

Butterfly Mage

The very first version of Pampers were indeed held together with pins. The whole "disposable diaper" concept came out of the desire to make it more convenient for families to travel with infants.

Pampers had tapes on them sometime around 1973. The ad must have been just before they went to tapes.
    My parents used Pampers on my sister between 1973 and 1976 and I remember they had tapes on them then.

I love the tag line. This would of get a lot of comments if it was posted during the election time.

I am no vintage diaper pro, but the message I got from the ad was that the baby needs a drier diaper (Pampers) than the cloth diaper she is currently wearing.

Butterfly Mage

Let's see... the child looked about 2 years old, in 1972. The next election is in 2012. A 42-year-old female president? Sure! Why not? Pampers is a forward-thinking company!

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    I'm sure angela will come along and make a far better post then me :P But when disposibles started out they where indeed pin on, pretty much just a plastic backed sheet. Dunno exactly when tapes came about, probably in the 80's.
    During the Summer of 1972 my family was returning home from a vacation in Yosemite National Park. My sister Missy was almost 3, still in gauze diapers and started being sick with runny poop. Mom asked Dad to stop at a supermarket north of Fresno, CA. For the first time Mom bought Pampers. They came in a box and fastened with pins. Fortunately we had a lot of diaper pins!

It is possible that P&G was already test marketing the improved Pamper with sticky tapes by then. In a rural town new style Pampers might not have arrived, or Pampers with tapes had not reached California. After Mom had bought those Pampers I paid closer attention to the TV commercials and magazine ads. By the Fall of 1972 P&G was promoting their sticky tapes as a great way to eliminate the dangers of diaper pins.

Guess what? In our diaper-friendly family with Mom, Granny, Aunt Betsy and four daughters wearing pinned diapers, there never was an injury from a diaper pin. We started changing a younger sister at age 9 and changing ourselves at puberty. Knowing the point is sharp increases your care pinning a diaper.

It's true. Pins were used for a few years before sticky tapes came out. A good friend of mine, an older woman in her mid sixties has mentioned them a few times in conversation. She used them on her kids when they went on vacation to Disneyland. Time-line, late 60's. Another fact, disposables had no elasticized leg gathers back then so many mothers (including my friend) used rubber pants with them. She says although they were convenient, she couldn't wait to get back home again so she could go back to using cloth diapers!