Thread: Health-centers and energy profit

LilpawsGHuskypup

Default Health-centers and energy profit

I thought about this down at the health-centre today, then had a chat about it with some friends.
    Has it ever occurred to you how much energy that goes to waste at health-centers and gyms? With fitness and training becoming more popular (in my country it's exploding in quantities) more people attend to training using exercise-machines. Now imagine if these machines were equipped with turbines and generators? For example, the treadmills. That'd sure create a good quantum of energy, not only to run the gym/health-centre, but as electricity for other things, such as households.
    Especially in a gym that takes customers 24/7.
    I guess it could be called human energy-source.
    Wouldn't surprise me if it's already in use here and there, but I think it's a good concept.

What's your take on this?

It's a good idea but it would take a about, 200 people constantly running on a treadmill 24/7 just to power the health centre alone. and with the large investment of all the generators and other equipment it would take about 10 years before the centre would see an economical benefit from the initial investment.

it's all about the money in business, not how "green" you are.

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Berko View Post
    I beg to differ. A lot of 'green' companies these days are being subsidised by the government and a lot of them are adopting cleaner technology to receive these bonuses. Whether it's actually true or not, global warming has got governments second-guessing their current greenhouse gas practices and I think a worldwide appreciation of the "only having one planet" ideal has lead to a rather progressive and forward-thinking unity amongst nations.

The point of the Kyoto Protocol (notably which the USA hasn't ratified) was to meet certain emission targets and what better way to do that than to support greener, cleaner technology within the very companies who are causing [most of] the emissions.

LilpawsGHuskypup

Found an article: Universities generate electricity in the gym - Environment- msnbc.com
    Probably yeah. It wouldn't solve anything out of a bigger scale, but at least it's one way out of many to go. But as they say, "Many drops make a river".

You're so right. Humans and her endeavor for economical profit... Maybe it's about time to see past that... :dodgy:

I read in article in last months Bicycling Magazine about this very issue, and it turns out that there is a company that makes cycles that generate electricity and put it back on the grid.

High-Voltage Workouts - bicycling.com

But, here is an even better idea: instead of driving to the gym to sweat, and then driving home, and probably driving everywhere else, just ride a bike. I know its not feasible everywhere (I wish it were where I live) but people who can, should.

And in the end, that's just bad for the planet. Our society is way too obsessed with money. Hopefully we will not be destroyed by our own greed. Anyway, no matter what, it's still not a bad idea to attempt to take care of the planet. I'm not sure if generating electricity from gyms is the best idea or not, but we need such creative ideas.

LilpawsGHuskypup

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    And in the end, that's just bad for the planet. Our society is way too obsessed with money. Hopefully we will not be destroyed by our own greed. Anyway, no matter what, it's still not a bad idea to attempt to take care of the planet. I'm not sure if generating electricity from gyms is the best idea or not, but we need such creative ideas.
    Exactly my point.
    Modern human have only lived for ca 200,000 years. Yet we're already facing a critical... how to call it... (world) crisis?
    The dinosaurs must be laughing from their graves...

Aye, we gotta do what we can.
    I have faith in humankind. I'm quite sure that she will find a way to get over this problem as well.
    But then again we're not only facing an energy crisis and environmental issues. We also have a population that's growing non-stop.
    That, clashing with these other issues, creates a very tricky situation, one that will become more tense in the future.
    Now how do we solve that I wonder?
    (Hm, this thread took another turn than expected)

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    I read in article in last months Bicycling Magazine about this very issue, and it turns out that there is a company that makes cycles that generate electricity and put it back on the grid.

High-Voltage Workouts - bicycling.com

But, here is an even better idea: instead of driving to the gym to sweat, and then driving home, and probably driving everywhere else, just ride a bike. I know its not feasible everywhere (I wish it were where I live) but people who can, should.
    Well said. I run to the pool for my swim workouts. Roughly 5k each way. Other than that, my sessions are outdoor. Never could understand the logic to driving somewhere to ride a bike, whether indoor or out.

As for the bike thing, humans don't generate all that much power. Just having a selfpowered exercise bike consumes most of it. I can push maybe 300 watts for an hour, and after that I'm pretty much toast. Elite youngsters can push a little more, but most casual cyclists can't even get close to that.

Peachy

You're seeing a conflict where there is no conflict. Simply attaching the label "green" to your company won#t do you any good, but if your company changes their complete attitude towards the exploitation of natural resources and the environment, you'll achieve two things: For one, you'll give an honest image that you care about the planet's future, and at the same time, you're opening up to new ideas and gradually change towards a sustainable economy. Once we're running out of natural resources, or they become prohibitively expensive, your traditional competitors will quickly die. So it's an investment into the future too!

Peachy