Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First diapers, reflections, a few questions.

Default First diapers, reflections, a few questions.

So. Finally talked myself into it and placed an order with XP medical Thursday before last. I spent the next few days waffling between excitement and paranoia. Stoked on the good days. Bit my nails telling myself "This is insane, I should cancel the order now before anything goes wrong" on the worst. I held out and my package showed up Tuesday. Had a round of excuses ready if my roommates asked. If they saw something. Locked myself in my room all day to avoid any questions, even if it was probably over cautious - it probably got dismissed as another box of nondescript clothes and newage books from my grandmother.

One pack Abena Super, one pack Abena X-Plus. Just as requested. I had no idea what I was doing and the wiki said they're supposed to be good. I'm still getting the hang of putting these on on my own. They fit a little more comfortably since my first false starts but it still seems awkward to get a proper fit. A little small in the back, a lot loose in the front. They're tight on my thighs and loose on the waist. Because they're supposed to fit on men too..? Probably. X-Plus didn't feel exactly like I imagined - softer plastic than I'd thought. Stiffer padding. Tried a Super instead the next day. Maybe I'm imagining it but they feel softer, a little more breathable. They conform a little more pliably to my body when I put them on and it makes the fit just a little more comfortable, but the tapes feel less reliable. These first couple of tests do, at least. I wasn't sure about actually using them up to the night I tried them on but I broke and tried. Still working out how much I trust the absorbency. I wore another to bed but I didn't have the nerve to try again there.

I'm not sure I'll buy the X-plus again. Maybe just experiment with something other than Abena entirely. The particular places these feel too loose or tight on me leaves me thinking I'd be more comfortable in something that comes fit for women, and maybe if I'd feel better in a pull on next time. I'd enjoy something more form-fitting, I think. Plastic-backed where possible, and decently absorbent if I decided to experiment -that- way again. Do those of you with any experience have any advice?

I would try several brands to see what works for you as this is an item more subject to personal preference than any other factor.

If you want something more form fitting I doubt you would like a pull on.

Elli

Cool. I've never got to try Abena. I hope that as you get used to them, you find them more comfortable. Give yourself time.

Your experience sounds a little like mine when I first got diapers and probably a lot of other people's experiences too. The first time I bought some I found them cumbersome and frustrating.

About fit:

Generally, you will get more adept at fastening the nappies snugly and comfortably as you get more practice and experiment with different ways. For example, when using Kendall Lille, I had to do the lower tapes up angled downwards to get the leg cuffs tight enough, but with Tena Slip, sticking them straight across is the way to go.

If it is tight on your thighs and lose on your waist, would it work if you did the lower tapes up a little looser, and the higher tapes up tighter? The lower tapes generally pull in the leg cuffs and the lower material, while the upper ones will affect the waist. Adjusting these might help with it being loose in the front too.

You might also like to try different positions for putting them on. At first I used to lay down, but these days I stand with my back to a wall and find that easier.

As Khaymen says, pull ups tend to be less form-fitting. Adult pull ups are pants with a fuffley elasticated, wide, cloth-feel waistband, which goes down to the padded area. Because they are so stretchy, they are looser all round and the padded bit can sag when wet and therefore heavier. They can be slimmer fitting, but then again there is less of them. It's difficult to have them tight enough to seal in liquid around the leg cuffs, and many don't have leak-guards (the secondary inside layer of the leg cuffs). As you might be able to tell, I'm not a fan. But, by all means try them if you are interested. You might have a different opinion.

I am currently a fan of Tena Slip though (as people may have noticed by now - sorry to go on about them!). They are absorbant, not leaky. I find the fit is good. I am female and I find that front of the nappy gets completely used. The padding wicks well. I've not had a leak so far with these, when used in frequent small amounts, and changed before bursting capacity.

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Adel View Post
    I'm still getting the hang of putting these on on my own. They fit a little more comfortably since my first false starts but it still seems awkward to get a proper fit. A little small in the back, a lot loose in the front. They're tight on my thighs and loose on the waist. Because they're supposed to fit on men too..? Probably. X-Plus didn't feel exactly like I imagined - softer plastic than I'd thought. Stiffer padding. Tried a Super instead the next day. Maybe I'm imagining it but they feel softer, a little more breathable. They conform a little more pliably to my body when I put them on and it makes the fit just a little more comfortable, but the tapes feel less reliable. These first couple of tests do, at least. I wasn't sure about actually using them up to the night I tried them on but I broke and tried. Still working out how much I trust the absorbency. I wore another to bed but I didn't have the nerve to try again there.

I'm not sure I'll buy the X-plus again. Maybe just experiment with something other than Abena entirely. The particular places these feel too loose or tight on me leaves me thinking I'd be more comfortable in something that comes fit for women, and maybe if I'd feel better in a pull on next time. I'd enjoy something more form-fitting, I think. Plastic-backed where possible, and decently absorbent if I decided to experiment -that- way again. Do those of you with any experience have any advice?
    I think everyone has trouble the first couple of times they do it! It's both funny because you've really no idea what you're doing (and those instructions on the pack are useless! [They're made for caregivers anyway]), but seriously makes you go, "Uhh, what the fuck am I doing this for!?" It seems fairly ridiculous, but hey, you bought them for a reason, might as well enjoy it.

Hang in there, you'll get it. It seems everyone here has their own technique that suits them. As for the brands, they do fit differently across the range. Abenas might be the most absorbent, but they're rather useless if they leak on you or aren't comfortable. Just have to try your options and find what you like. Bit of a hit'n'miss really.

In my experience, Abena puts the front waist+padding up way too high, like 2+ inches higher than just about every other diaper out there. This creates alot of problems, especially if you don't have a perfectly flat belly. Molicares and Bambinos don't have that issue, nor do any other brand I've ever tried. It's my biggest gripe about Abenas and have attributed to far too many leaks to consider them reliable for me. A shame really for such a high capacity diaper. Unusual that they also smell bad rather quickly, something I don't even experience with cheap diapers.
    A true oxymoron of an extended capacity/wear diaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Adel View Post
    're tight on my thighs and loose on the waist. Because they're supposed to fit on men too..? Probably. X-Plus didn't feel exactly like I imagined - softer plastic than I'd thought. Stiffer padding.
    OP, I really don't care for Abenas for this exact reason. I'm pretty averaged size, but I find that they fit really awkwardly.

Try either of this (they are identical), and I think you will enjoy them much more.

X-Plus Adult Diaper : Secure Personal Care

and

Bambino Diapers, The Best Source for ABDL Diapers and Products!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    but seriously makes you go, "Uhh, what the fuck am I doing this for!?" It seems fairly ridiculous
    I recall this nearly exact thought ages ago when I was young and putting on diapers.

"What on earth am I doing?"

Today I don't ruminate over it at all.

Hey again. Thanks everyone for the advice. Your experience is appreciated.

I've been through a few more since I posted and I think I'm getting just a -little- better at this. After a few false starts the fit feels a little bit better with the Abena Supers. The X-Plus still feel awkward, maybe just because they're stiffer and don't want to conform as easily. Not sure I'm going to get those again anyway, they're kind of hot and itchy and I just feel more secure in softer, friendlier padding like the Super. Can anyone comment on the M3 absorbency level between these two I've tried? How much of a compromise is it between those, exactly? Um, these ones aren't quite absorbent enough that I feel as safe as I'd like using them and something a little heavier could be nice, if it still has that softer feeling I'm falling in love with. Maybe it would be easier if I could let myself go slowly like I sometimes see people talk about here... I'm still a little unsure about that part at all but I guess I'm curious enough to at least keep thinking about it.

Still wondering about something without such a broad strip between the legs, if I ever were to try wearing one outside my own room. These are nice to relax or sleep in but they feel kind of awkwardly baggy down there when I stand or walk in them and I think I might like to try that.

Maybe a trip to our zoo. The thought feels lighthearted in a way I don't feel much and makes me smile, a little.

EmeraldsAndLime

Generally speaking:
    Super (M2) -- 2500mL / 84.5oz
    Extra (M3) -- 3000mL / 101.4oz
    X-Plus (M4) -- 3600mL / 121.7oz

Just as a side note, that new sizing terminology is nifty.

Thanks a lot. Although, I was more curious about any opinions on the feel of the Extra compared to X-Plus. I'm really not comfortable in X-Plus. Super feel way nicer. Am I the only one who's gotten this?