Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diaper look and feel questions

Default Diaper look and feel questions

To be more specific, which diapers do you prefer for overall appearance (look) and comfort (feel)? If you want to know why I'm asking about those two things, the reasons are pretty simple:

I've found out about a number of brands and types of diapers - mostly due to this site, so thanks to everyone! But right now, I'm in a position where using diapers for their intended purpose could be an issue. I can get and wear the diapers just fine; I order things online pretty often, so no one's too shocked if I get a package. I have a room to myself and my own car, both of which can be hiding places if I'm careful, and I can pretty much say that I'm going to the store and not have anyone ask me why. (If they do ask, it's usually because someone wants me to pick up something for them while I'm out.) But as those last comments hinted at, I don't live alone, so any odd smells would be noticed, and maybe changes in habit, too. Fortunately it's not uncommon for me to hang around in my room with the door shut, and I wash my own clothes/take out the garbage pretty regularly, so those aren't issues. The smell, though...that would be hard to explain away.

On top of the possible risks, I don't intend on using them all that much anyway, for a number of reasons. I definitely won't be messing the diapers; the idea just doesn't appeal to me, even if I thought I could get away with it. And though I may try wetting, I'm not planning to do it on more than a 'try and see' basis...or if I honestly have an accident, which is something I try to avoid as much as I can. I'm also going to start out only wearing them in private, when I'm alone, so I shouldn't have to worry about any of the stealth needed for outdoor wearing. Because of all that, absorbency, leak control, crinkling, ability to hide under clothing, and most of the other practical aspects of picking one diaper over another aren't really deciding elements for me right now. (They may be in the future, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!)

As a result, I'm not sure where to begin in my diaper-wearing experiments. I don't want to get a cheap, uncomfortable diaper that feels like sitting on a pile of scratchy paper...but I don't want to spend money on an expensive diaper like a Bambino if it's not much more comfortable to wear, or if I sweat endlessly in it, or if I can only wear it once and then have to toss it out once I take the tapes off. In my mind, that's like if I bought a bottle, used it once, and then put it in the trash...not going to happen if I can help it.

So, with all of that in mind, here's what I'd like to know:

-What diapers have you found are most comfortable to wear while sitting or standing? What about while moving around - walking, picking things up, doing daily activities?

-Which diapers are, in your opinion, the most comfortable to sleep in? Which ones are less comfortable, and what didn't you like about those?

-How do diapers tend to feel against the skin? Is there anything that someone unfamiliar with them (like me) should avoid doing or keep in mind for greater comfort while wearing?

-For disposable diapers: how many times can you tape/re-tape them before the closures stop working? If I do decide to get some, I'd like to get the most out of them that I can, especially since I won't be using them for their intended purpose right away.

-Disposables versus cloth: How do they look when worn? Are there major differences between the appearance of disposable briefs and cloth briefs, for example?
    (If you know of any sites where there are clear images of the different types/styles laid out or worn on a mannequin, that would be great. I'm not looking for pictures of people wearing, as that's...fraught with danger, I'll put it that way. But even diagrams and such will do if they give an idea of how the diaper might look when worn. It's just that most of the images I've seen are of folded diapers, so other than color and material used, I can't tell the difference between the two very well. Yes, I'm rather clueless, I know.)

-For those looking at diapers from a *B point of view: Which diapers look the most appealing, or the most baby-like, to you? Any that you would recommend?
    (And by the way, I'm far too large in hips and waist to dream of wearing baby diapers, so that's not an option for me.)

-Is a cloth diaper easier to reuse and/or more comfortable than a disposable? Or is it the other way around?

-Is it worth it to spend the higher price on diapers if there's not a lot of feeling/appearance difference between different brands, or between disposables and cloth?

-Is it better to be cheap because I don't have to worry about absorbency, or to get used to the good stuff from the start? (I don't mind paying more for a good product that I can get a lot of use out of.)

-When it comes to diapers in general, do you usually get what you pay for, or is hunting for deals a good idea?

-Does price per unit really matter if you're wearing instead of using?

-Any other thoughts on the appearance or the comfort pros (or cons) of the diapers you've used in the past? If there's something you love to wear, brand names/where you got it would be helpful mentions!

So yes, before I ramble on more, I'd really appreciate any thoughts and advice from anyone who's willing to share. If you need more information from me, I'll do my best to elaborate. Oh, and I understand a lot of this is opinion based, but that's my whole point in asking. While absorbency and features are statistics that can easily be compared, the opinions of people with experience tell things that numbers and measurements can't. So consider this question more like "What did you think of that movie?" or "How's the food at that restaurant?" rather than "Between product A and B, which is bigger (better, faster, stronger, etc)?" Everyone's going to think a little differently, but by hearing what everyone thinks, maybe I'll get a clearer idea of what's out there.

And here's hoping someone hasn't made a thread like this in the day or so it took me to finally decide exactly what I wanted to ask!

1) Walgreens Certainty Briefs. Cheap, soft, not very absorbent.
    2) All diapers are comfortable to sleep in. They might get a bit distracting, though.
    3) If you sit in a wet diaper for a while, it begins to get cold and uncomfortable. Wet diapers also make you get diaper rash, same deal with messy diapers. Sitting in them may get uncomfortable because of the material. Some diapers (Walgreens, Bambinos, other high quality diapers) are very soft, while some lower quality diapers like Depends are very scratchy in my oppinion.
    4) This depends on the diaper. Plastic shelled ones will take maybe 2 retapings, while cloth shelled diapers can be done many times before you notice any un-stickyness
    5) Don't wear cloth, too much work.
    6) No adult diapers look babyish. Bambinos claim to, but that's just the tape strip they put on it. I like Bambinos because they crinkle loud and absorb a hell of a lot.
    7) Cloth diapers are usually more comfortable, but they are a huge hassle to wash, especially if you don't do laundry every day.
    8) The price usually dictates how good the quality will be. If you plan to wet more than once, then its probably not a good idea to use cheap diapers you find in drug stores.
    9) Since you won't be worry about absorbency, get something you like. Walgreens Certainty are much softer and nicer than Depends, in my opinion.
    10) You usually do get what you pay for. Don't bother trying to save money.
    11) Price per unit does matter, since thats the total cost if the diapers per pack.

My Walgreens Review.

AB Universe SDK is the most comfortable I have ever worn...never worn Bambino but they have 4 tapes so im sure the fit is close to others that have the 4 tapes...They remind me of boxer breifs!!Hope this helps.

Disposables are easier to deal with than cloth, you just have to take out the garbage. Washing and drying cloth diapers will take a lot more time.

To control odour until you can take out the garbage, just put the diaper in a grocery bag, tie it closed, and put it in a black garbage bag.

You get what you pay for: Cheap retail diapers cost less and absorb less too, online diapers like Bambino, Abena, etc. are expensive and very absorbant.
    Diapers with plastic backing make a lot more noise, but prevent leaks better.
    If you want a diaper that is very hard to notice, look for ones with a cloth like backing, like Tena ultra. These are easy to find in retail stores and are in the middle between price and absorbancy.
    Tena also has velcro tapes which may last longer than sticky tapes for multiple refastening.

There really is no one diaper that covers every situation.
    High absorbancy diapers are more expensive, leak less, noisy, bulkier, and easier to detect by others.
    Low absorbancy diapers are cheaper, leak more, thinner, easier to hide.

Personally I wear Bambinos and am in a similar situation to you (I live with my family, but a few of them don't know yet)

So i can tell you a few things.
    I love Bambino Biancos for their look and feel, the all white has a certain style to it which I personally like a lot, and they are the thickest and softest diapers I have tired to date (they are a bit expensive but if you don't wear that often it is not a huge deal).

however i see you are looking for baby prints, so bambino classico is more what you are lookinf for (they also make boosters, but I have yet to try them)

on the subject of wetting, I have learned that it is possible to do it often and not attract suspicious noses. the trick is to put the individual diapers in tied off plastic bags, and then in an odour blocking garbage bag (either tied off or with a lid) and to drink LOTS of water (this will make your urine smell less). also use powder as it helps with both smell and rash, it also usually raises the comfort factor by a lot.

but i will say this CHEAP diapers feel CHEAP. you do indeed get what you pay for. I went for a few things i thought were deals, but then I got them and hated wearing them, ended up throwing half the bag out.

No one can say what diaper is going to comfortable to you, my advice is to experiment with different brands and sizes.

You may find you like something different than the rest of the crowd, I never tought I would enjoy small diapers untill I tryed a pack, everytime I bought I would buy medium, but I have found with smaller diapers they fit better and leak less for me.

I would have never known this if I wasn't experimenting.

I have never worn any diapers i dont know anybody that wears them its i need to know more about dl

Quote Originally Posted by dublinbaby View Post
    I have never worn any diapers i dont know anybody that wears them its i need to know more about dl
    Say what? Please use proper grammar. I hate trying to decipher blocks of unformatted text.

OP: If you're not going to wet that much, I wouldn't worry about the smell; but do heed the others advice when you do think about it.

Hi SparkleShine and Everyone,
    In your OP you ask a whole lot of valid questions.

My opinions about diapers are based on having grown up wearing pinned gauze diapers, then having to get used to disposables during my years in university. Since then I have worn disposables during the day when I need to be discreet and pinned gauze diapers at home for bed and when being discreet is not important to me.

Unless you have privacy to correctly wash and dry cloth diapers and waterproof pants, I strongly suggest not buying these things.

It is not healthy to re-use a diaper even if you did not wet or mess. While wearing it your sweat soaked into the diaper and your body heat altered the fluff as well as the SAP (Super Absorbent Polymer)

The purpose of re-fastenable tabs and tapes is to allow adjustment of fit as the diaper sags in use, or to allow the diaper to be temporarily moved out of the way so a toilet can be used. These fastening systems are not intended to be used for subsequent wearings of the used diaper.

For each person the best diaper is the diaper that fits best while having enough capacity for the situation.

Except for Bambino and ABU, disposable diapers are designed for the incontinence market, divided into institutional and retail sales. Retailers have found that most of their customers are folks with a sudden need for adult diapers, meaning they need convenience and probably do not have a heavy urine flow. This is why adult pull-on hog shelf space in supermarkets, pushing conventional briefs to a few med supply shops.

Institutional users of disposables are regulated, so they select disposables which work under the standards of humane care. Thus an institutional diaper must be changed regularly, a time period that varies with jurisdiction. The goal is a diaper that is just running out of capacity when the rule says it must be changed. Attends and other manufacturers specializing in the institutional market make a selection of diapers so if an individual wets only moderately there is no need for an extra-absorbent diaper. Classic poly-plastic outer layer is still popular with professional care givers who know exactly where to place the sticky tapes. Poly-plastic is more effective when in bed and a lot easier to change when the patient is in bed. Cloth-like has some advantage when the patient is standing and moving. It is easier to make hook and loop tabs on cloth-like covers.

I have been urinary incontinent at night since 1976 and profoundly urinary incontinent since 1985. I am an attorney so being discreetly socially continent is vital to me during work. I select the easiest to change disposable product that my experience tells me will be good enough for a given situation. Those situations vary so I always have a supply of slip-in pads, cloth-like briefs and poly-plastic briefs. Complicating my case is that I am a petite woman, meaning the selection of brands and styles correctly fitting me is limited.

The advantage to gauze diapers is that they are more effective in bed for me. Yes, they are bulky, so indiscreet in social settings not involving ABDL.

If I were to include the hourly billable rate my firm charges for my legal services, the cost of cloth diapers would be out of the question for me. I believe that I cannot bill my time 24/7 so I can wash cloth diapers in my down time. Thus I do not promise cloth diapers will always save money.

Adults who are not urinary incontinent tend to retain urine in the bladder in a conventional way, releasing it in occasional large voids. Within these websites we tend to call such larger voids as "floods" while the technical term preferred by diaper researchers is "insult" if a recent NEW YORKER article is to be believed. Infants have bladders, but their urinary sphincter does not start working well for several months. Thus infants dribble almost constantly. Disposables for the newborn have the luxury of absorbing slowly. Sort of the same thing is true of me. My profound incontinence is as if I have no sphincter. My urine comes out of my bladder almost as fast as it enters. For me a lot of fluff to contain floods is not a benefit. For an ABDL who wets in floods a lot of fluff is very important.

SAP is a great invention, but since it needs time to act, it does require enough fluff to be practical. Also SAP gets very stiff when cold and once heated a little. Thus too much SAP makes a stiff diaper, which is less a problem for the newborn, and which becomes an issue making diapers for growing kids. By the time kids are ready for toilet training they are retaining urine and flooding, sort of like miniature ABDL.

SparkleShine, in stores local to you selection of disposables is limited, and nearly impossible to fit unless you weigh over 125 pounds with hips larger than 32" Perhaps to get started you could try Depend Undies for Women which are a cloth-like pull-on sold nearly everywhere in the USA. Those are designed for typical feminine wetting, such as dribble when giggling. To you those are not very expensive and provide the feel of wearing a disposable.

I need Attend Youth as my poly briefs and Breathable Small for cloth-like because those are the USA products fitting me best. Personally no disposable will put me into my AB mood, so the decorations of Bambino and ABU do nothing for me. When I am wearing a disposable I cannot always tell if the outer layer is plastic or cloth-like. I need the Breathable because most of the time I will unfasten one side so I can use a toilet to poop. I wear the plastic Youth when I might poop without control, in which case I will dispose of that diaper. Youth and Breathable Small cost the same and are only sold in cases of 96 on-line.

Secure Care and Tranquility also make adult small disposables. Unfortunately for me neither of those fit me as well as the Attends. None of those brands are generally sold in stores. Attends does make some retail diapers, but only in medium and large.

sorry entity im new to this sort of thing