Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Number 1447/Effects of 2010 Massachusetts Senatorial Special Election in America

Default Post Number 1447/Effects of 2010 Massachusetts Senatorial Special Election in America

I just had to put the number just to be fun, but in all seriousness, what are your feelings about the effect of yesterday's special election in Massachusetts to replace the late Senator Ted Kennedy.

Brown wins Senate Seat in MAl

About three weeks ago, it was a shoe-in that the democrats would easily win the seat, but Martha Coakley's vast mistakes in the media and her backing down allowed for one of the biggest upset victories in Massachusetts Politics and will thus end the Democrats' Supermajority in the Senate. A supermajority is when 3/5 of the congress is controlled by one party, a move that would allow the majority party to take bills out of closure and not allow the minority party to Filibuster the bill at hand. The major conflict that this brings to the Democrats in the Senate is in the execution of President Obama's agenda on the controversial health care bill, a bill that the Republicans now have the power to stall the bill from passing. In a sense, this small Special Election that was held due to the untimely death of Senator Ted Kennedy in August, was a national election in its effects on the future of the Health Care Bill in America. The influence from a state that already has State Mandated Health Care and a state with a majority of independent voters has a lot of people talking about the future of the Health Care Bill and many other bills that are or could happen in this time. What's your take on this event, and its effect in all of America. I'm somewhat concerned but hopeful that the health care bill will eventually be passed, in addition to the thought that the Democrats were eventually going to lose the Supermajority in November due to the election containing a lot of Senators and Representatives going for retirement or reelection.

Mako

This can go two ways, the democrats can rather cave further in and further screw up the healthcare bill by making it go farther and farther right. Or they can buck up and start using reconciliation to avoid the republican senatorial temper tantrums.

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    I couldn't care less; I hate polotics.
    Then why respond?

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    I couldn't care less; I hate polotics.

Sitting idle while your country goes to shit is cool, eh? If you don't care what happens in politics, then you have no right to complain ever about anything enacted by the government.

Well thank god something went good for politics recently atleast.

One party should not outnumber the other in the senate, unless they're leaning towards mine.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by Light View Post
    Well thank god something went good for politics recently atleast.

One party should not outnumber the other in the senate, unless they're leaning towards mine.
    Yea that only works when the other party isn't being irrationally oppositional. The republicans refuse to work with the democrats and oppose anything that'll make Obama look good, regardless if it's good for the country or not. Hell, many essentially made a pro-rape vote just to oppose the democrats. Minority governments don't work when one side is not willing to compromise on anything. The dem's have done nothing but concede to their conservative members and the republicans.

They need to get some balls and start listening to Howard Dean again. It was HIS strategy and politics that won the democrats elections. On the upside the republicans may be stupid and think that Michael Steele is doing a good job instead of Tim Kain doing a horrid one, and they may try to run him in 2012.

Michael Steele is a puppet to Rush Limbaugh. He did shit as Lieutenant Governor in MD and he has done shit for the RNC so far.

There's....................one of................them.......this close to RI?

Anyways, the democratic party needs to start taking some more offensive action. Right now nothing can pass through the "Wall of No". It's crazy just how much power the republican party has right now while being the minority.

Also, that election was just nuts, there were back to back ads on TV, I saw 4 in a row once.

I am extremely happy about this turn out, for one thing, it means that Republican's have a chance at a filibuster in the senate. In my opinion, having a completely one sided government isn't a good thing, either way as it allows very limited checks and balances, a principle on which this country was founded. While this certainly by no means changes things, it at least can slow down the radical democrats. It doesn't change things in a different direction, but it at least "puts some air in the brake lines".

Also, this should put a scare into many of the democrats who are up for re-election in a few months. If the democrats could lose this seat, held by Ted Kennedy for 47 years and one of the most liberal senators from what could be classified as the most liberal state; a seat that until a few weeks ago was considered a very safe democratic seat could be won by a Republican it means that all democrats are more vulnerable than they think.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    I am extremely happy about this turn out, for one thing, it means that Republican's have a chance at a filibuster in the senate. In my opinion, having a completely one sided government isn't a good thing, either way as it allows very limited checks and balances, a principle on which this country was founded. While this certainly by no means changes things, it at least can slow down the radical democrats. It doesn't change things in a different direction, but it at least "puts some air in the brake lines".
    That only applies when opposing party is being even remotely reasonable. The party is purposefully using bureaucratic formality to obstruct procedure as much as possible instead of trying to work with the democrats.

Also, this should put a scare into many of the democrats who are up for re-election in a few months. If the democrats could lose this seat, held by Ted Kennedy for 47 years and one of the most liberal senators from what could be classified as the most liberal state; a seat that until a few weeks ago was considered a very safe democratic seat could be won by a Republican it means that all democrats are more vulnerable than they think.
    Except the republicans didn't win on their own merits, Coakley was just a terrible candidate and she showed an open disdain for her voting base. It was a failure of the DNC and Coakley. Tim Kain has to go, democrats keep moving farther and farther right where in reality if they want to keep their base supporting them they need to continue the progressiveness they campaigned on.