Thread: Something that saddens me

Default Something that saddens me

Well I will skip the story, bottom line is that a friend is going through a pretty nasty break up and is pretty hurt by it. I would ,as a friend lend my hand in assistance, by this what I want to do is offer to take the friend out to dinner this up coming weekend. My only fear is that the friend, being so hurt by the situation may just get angry at me. I have no reasoning behind that claim, except the fact that that could possibly happening.

Would this be a good thing to do? Lend this friend a hand to try to make the friend feel better?

Taking your friend out for dinner sounds like a kind gesture. People don't usually get angry when their friends are being trying to help them. Because of going through a break up, he might not feel like going out and doing something sociable. But he should appreciate that you're concerned/interested. The best thing to do would probably be to ask him what he'd like to do. You could say something like:
    "I'd like to take you out for dinner, but it's cool if you don't want to do that. I just want you to know that I'm here for you". That way he'll know that you care, and he's got a way of telling you if doesn't want to go out for dinner, without getting angry.

I can tell you that if I was your friend and you offered to take me out to dinner I would definitely take you up on that offer. It wouldn't hurt to try to help... just let him know that is your intention.

Friends are friends and helping friends should do no harm. Showing love to a friend wouldn't do anything bad as long as you try not to mention the situation to provoke anything.

I've been there. When my wife had an affair and left me I was horribly depressed for a while.
    Be a friend, no more, no less. Trying to be an amateur psychiatrist wonít help. If they want
    to talk let them, if they donít want to talk donít force them. In the book of Job the friends
    acted wisely in the beginning by weeping with him and simply sitting with him, that was
    until they threw out good sense and tried to fix the problem for him.

So my answer would be offer a meal, but if your friend doesn't want to eat just show up and
    hang out for a while. I like bowling, so one of my friends took me bowling a few times. He told
    me that he knew that I was hurting and that there was nothing he could do to make me feel
    better but that he didnít want me to just sit inside all day with nothing to do but feel worse.
    I still appreciate what he did years later.

Job 2:12&13
    When they saw him from a distance, they could hardly recognise him; they began to
    weep aloud, and they tore their robes and sprinkled dust on their heads. Then they
    sat on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights. No-one said a word to
    him, because they saw how great his suffering was.