Thread: Help please!

Default Help please!

I need somebody who has Windows XP SP3 to give me a file from there computer please!

I need C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\smss.exe

(Note: for anybody who does not know this folder contains crucial system files, so be careful when accessing it)

I have been trying to fix my mums computer for three days because it was riddled with virus. and it took ages to get rid of them all. however to cut a long story short i accidently deleted the smss.exe file from the HDD and now the computer wont start. I can't format it and start again as there are loads stuff oin there that we still need. Also i don't have another pc to attach HDD to and do it myself just laptops.

So i would be very grateful if you could email me or post the file so i cab put it back on the PC. many thanks.

Berko x

I'd imagine that'd be horribly complicated, so be warned. Any update could have changed this file, and without that information you risk screwing the computer.

Surely a better approach would be a simple backup and reinstall? At least this way you know it'll be stable and safe set up.

I know what i'm doing, but like you say i would much rather backup and re-install, but i don't have that option. And i don't think it could be more screwed to be honest. it just re-starts before the logon screen comes up.

take old HDD out buy new HDD Reformat with new HDD and Turn old HDD into external HDD.

No problem, PM me your email address, I can send you the file.
    I have a copy of all the XP files on my hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerye View Post
    take old HDD out buy new HDD Reformat with new HDD and Turn old HDD into external HDD.
    That's what I did when my hard drive "died" (bad sectors) late last year. Worked pretty damn well.