Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadcast Television

Post Broadcast Television

I was wondering how many of us still still watch television broadcasts. I have found myself over the past 4 years not really watching any. Even before that, not much too entertaining. It used to user for mainstream entertainment, but now we have the internet and everything is 'on demand', not just video, but any other content/media. Be it podcasts, journals or what not. Just seems to be everything is possible to get on the web (legally and illegally!).

the first 2 years was when I was at college and still lived at my parents, and since there was one TV in the house that could tune into channels (it had a skybox/satellite TV, and we weren't often using BBC1,2,ITV,C4 or C5 the analogue terrestrial TV). And so being in a house with so many brothers and the "god of the remote" Dad would watch stuff I wouldn't care about. Or if I did or just wanted to kill time and had some mild interest in what was being shown I'd sit down. But It wouldn't take long for my Dad to light up a cigarette, so I'd leave after that.

I used to have a strange knack, and still do when I'm at my parents is when I go downstairs for whatever reason, I might stand behind the door and watch TV for about 10-20 seconds. Don't want to be seen, walking in and out seems a little unusual/rude without saying hello to my brothers that I rarely see them anyway since they spend so much time in the front room.

Now that I moved out, I could get a TV, but have to buy a TV license. I thought screw it, I rarely watch TV, and nor does anyone in this household. So I've lived without a TV for two years, and I can't see myself buying one. I do often watch a few TV series, mostly factual based. I can't stand fictional drama shows, unless it's mostly comedy. And I usually watch them through the official on demand service, BBC iplayer. Or if it's not produced by the BBC, I would find a torrent if I was bored/interested enough. But I'd say 2 hours a week is spent watching videos online.

It helps that I have my own computer, it acts like my TV in my room. So I can't watch what I want when I want. I used to remember being younger and getting to be 11 or 12 it'd be cool to have a TV in your room. But it was mostly used for games consoles so the parents didn't have to keep tidying up all the cables and games in the front room. Even then I rarely watched TV, I even had sky to my room, I just had to go downstairs to change channel, I guess I didn't bother.

I used to remember my Dad had subscription to documentary channels, and I'd record Various engineering documentaries at 4am and Burn them to DVD with the DVR he has, sadly no longer uses as he has sky+, which is why his subscription has changed too.

So I was wondering, do any of you watch Broadcast TV, or do you just do the modern thing and download/stream it on the PC? Or not watch any video productions at all?

I still watch "Broadcast" TV (I've got satellite,over here the term broadcast refers primarily to the actual OTA broadcasters). But I rarely look at it, I generally only watch sporting events, and some news. Oh, and Top Gear. Even if I didn't have DirecTV, I'd still own a television set (no licenseing here) so I could stream Netflix on to my PS3, and continue to watch Blu-Ray movies.

My television is almost always on, but I seldom pay any attention to what is actually being shown, it's just back-ground noise. When I do decide to actively watch the programs, it's usually a movie or else it's a news or science channel. When the movie or science program selections suck, and I've had enough of the news, I switch to a cartoon channel or retro- TV Land stuff.

Before going to university, I used to think that living without a telly would be very difficult...
    But for my first year at university, when I didn't have TV (or licence), I managed quite happily! I'd watch about 5 BBC programmes a week on the iPlayer, and didn't miss broadcast TV at all.

Now I have a TV in my house, and I watch it every day. It's quite weird really.
    TV is fairly ridiculous. I could live with just BBC1 and BBC2, and maybe some Channel 4, I really don't see the need for those hundreds of other channels...

BBC have iPlayer, Channel 4 have 4OD, so I could probably do without. I really couldn't give a flying crap about ITV or 5, and only occasionally watch BBC3, or More 4, but I'd be covered by the catchup services for both.

So yeah, I probably could do without, but even so I'd still want to buy a TV license. I really think (most of) what the BBC do is fantastic, and needs to be supported (and of course as a technicality you should have one to use iPlayer anyway).
    Last edited by thanksforallthefish; 17-Jan-2010 at 21:14.

BROADCAST TV !!!! *takes deep breath* will-be-showing-season-premiere-of-24-tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >_< i can't possibly give that up

OK I am actually studying television right now (In school... I don't just mean I am watching it a lot :P)

what you are describing is in fact becoming a trend (not just in the UK but around the world)

the fact is that people are watching more TV on the web than EVER before (probably because more of it is available, legally or illegally, than ever before)

BUT, this is only impacting televisions bottom line in a very small way.

Basically people are watching more on the web, but they really haven't stopped watching TV on TV in any great numbers. ...Yet

however the trend is growing.

here is the big thing though, this is actually a problem if you like the big network shows.

A. if people are watching less TV, advertisers pay less
    B. advertisers pay less for web content than television content (as of now it is worth less)
    C. if the networks get less money, they have to make cheaper shows/ or make less shows altogether

this coupled with the rise of piracy makes it so that the networks may just cancel shows, for not getting enough ad dollars. or not make ambitious series bacause it is too much of a risk

I am not trying to say that the internet is the enemy of television, but it is the enemy if you like the current Status Quo in television

there are great merits to the emerging market, especially when it comes to independent productions, web only content, and being the little guy in this new market.

but again the big guys are really going to get shaken up as this shift in the market comes into being

Quote Originally Posted by thanksforallthefish View Post
    So yeah, I probably could do without, but even so I'd still want to buy a TV license. I really think (most of) what the BBC do is fantastic, and needs to be supported (and of course as a technicality you should have one to use iPlayer anyway).
    Yay for supporting the BBC.

Although you don't need a licence for the iPlayer. The licensing people make it clear that you only need a licence for broadcast, live TV, and not for 'on demand' services.
    Well I say 'make it clear', but if you go to university you will get assaulted with condescending, threatening letters from the licensors trying to convince you that you ought to have bought a licence, even if you don't need one.

Do I watch Irish broadcast TV? No. It's very much aimed at "Mary, aged 50, from Sligo".
    Do I watch broadcast TV? Some UK shows. Mostly Top Gear and Mock the Week.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    Yay for supporting the BBC.

Although you don't need a licence for the iPlayer. The licensing people make it clear that you only need a licence for broadcast, live TV, and not for 'on demand' services.
    Well I say 'make it clear', but if you go to university you will get assaulted with condescending, threatening letters from the licensors trying to convince you that you ought to have bought a licence, even if you don't need one.
    Ahh, so you don't. Thought it was in the ToS for using iPlayer.

Well, if you're using iPlayer and you're not a student (who can watch TV broadcasts on anything battery operated regardless, so you're covered watching live on a laptop) you morally should support such a fantastic public service.

Go BBC!