Thread: Gilbert Arenas is an idiot

Default Gilbert Arenas is an idiot

For those who have heard the constant news about Washington Wizards G Gilbert Arenas and are starting to get sick of it, well this is your thread! Gets even tougher since I live in the team's market I just think that he is an idiot. First and foremost, I am NOT a Washington Wizards fan at all (Go Spurs!). Second, for those who are curious, Gilbert Arenas is a G who is suspended indefinitely by the NBA due to recent incidents involving him with firearms in several instances. First, there was news of him having several of his unregistered firearms at the Verizon Center Locker Room in 03 when he was removing them from his house. Then we hear news of him pulling out firearms on fellow teammate Javarris Crittenton. What provoked his suspension was this picture of him "shooting around" at his teammates at a pregame huddle before a matchup against the Philadelphia 76ers.

Since today he is being indicted and will plea guilty for carrying unregistered firearms in DC, I feel that this has been one of the stupidest things by an athelete who is currently in a 6 year 111 million contract with his team. Remember Plaxico Burress who had gone from Super Bowl Hero to currently serving 2 years in jail for carrying illegal firearms in the state of NY when he accidentally shot himself in the thigh November 2008. What's your opinion on the situation?

angelabauer

This afternoon, about 1545 local time on 15 January 2010 in Federal District Court in Washington, DC, USA, Gilbert Arenas accepted a guilty plea deal in a felony fire arms charge. In court defendant Arenas admitted he knows he is facing 5 years in prison. His defense attorney told the court that the plea deal is for no more than 6 months in custody. Sentencing is currently set of 26 March 2010 in the same court.

Anticipate a condition of probation is that Arenas never again own a fire arm or ammunition.

It remains to be seen if the NBA Wizards use this guilty plea to invoke the morals clause of his contract, allowing them to end his multi-year contract worth USA$110 million. Currently Arenas is suspended without pay.

here is what bothers me (both about him and Plaxico)

these people are super rich, what need have they for a gun? they have enough cash to teams of body guards who carry guns.

My theory...they are idiots. they like guns just because it makes them feel like they have a bigger d!ck

the funny thing is, all their problems could have been avoided by not being idiots. >_<

Teaching in an inner city school, I see too many of our kids buying into the whole gangsta image. Think about how we are influenced by the media, and how easily we buy into certain things which are germane to our culture. Obviously if you do the things he did, bringing guns into the locker room, you're either easily lead, stupid, or both. Common sense is a beautiful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Teaching in an inner city school, I see too many of our kids buying into the whole gangsta image. Think about how we are influenced by the media, and how easily we buy into certain things which are germane to our culture. Obviously if you do the things he did, bringing guns into the locker room, you're either easily lead, stupid, or both. Common sense is a beautiful thing.
    Common sense may be beautiful, but unfortunately it isn't presented as being profitable.

While I will be the first to admit that what he did was beyond stupid, especially when he chose to brandish his firearm in anger at a teammate, I also do not completely understand the fear, loathing, and paranoia that surrounds firearms. Perhaps it is because I was raised in a place where firearm possession is not only accepted, but nearly universal, but I have almost zero fear of them or their presence (though a great deal of respect).

I have always felt firearms, much like illegal narcotics, are best dealt with through education, respect, and prudence rather than outright prohibition. Banning an item or substance seems to cause more mystery, which leads to the "cool factor" and people wanting to see or have these things out of curiosity or a perceived prestige from having something taboo.

Yes I am probably biased because I am a gun owner, but I like to think that I am at least sensible and open minded about it. I will even go so far as to accept some people's argument that there is little practical need for them in our modern world, but I also think it is fallacious to blame the tool for the actions of the fool.

Its late, I'm tired, and hopefully I didn't ramble too badly.

Gilbert Arenas is a jackass. I have always thought that even though I am a Cavaliers fan. NUFF SAID. Still, pulling a gun on a teammate was dumb and STOOOPID. Really stupid. Even I would never have done that.

WildThing121675

Can't we all get along- Rodney King, 1992: Los Angeles, CA during the LA Riots