Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these new Depends? Or am I just out of the loop? Reviewed anyways!

Default Are these new Depends? Or am I just out of the loop? Reviewed anyways!

US market here.

I was walking around a local grocery store, and I spotted what looked like new packaging for Depend Fitted Maximum Protection briefs. I have not purchased Depend briefs in the last couple of years due to having better alternatives, but the packaging looked intriguing and new so I decided to check them out.

The package is green with an orange label, and they come in two sizes, S/M 19-34", and L 35-49". I usually wear a 34-36 inch pants size, and medium in most brands work well for me, so I grabbed a bag of the large. 16 diapers for $17 US, kinda pricey. I can probably fit the smalls, since the larges seem a little big on me.

They are a standard white diaper with 6 tapes and a wetness indicator. They feel fairly well made compared to the usual cheap American adult diaper, including my previous Depend experiences.

The plastic shell feels fairly thin, but it is also very soft. They are slightly crinkly, but not annoyingly so. I actually like them so far in this respect.

They are very thin overall, and they don't feel like there is much pulp in them. In real world testing they seem to have enough SAP to handle a couple of wettings, but they take forever to absorb. I took a photo of them with an Abena Airplus Extra for a thickness comparison. The flash was too close and washed out the picture, but you can still see the thickness. Depend is on the top.

Previously I have not seen Depends with newer and nicer features, but these have breathable standing leak guards in addition to leg gathers. A very nice feature that I have not seen in many US options.

They also have stretch waist panels front and rear that are fairly stretchy. Again, a feature I'm used to seeing in nicer diapers.

They have 6 tapes, but I have mixed feelings on them. These diapers have no landing zones, so the tapes can stick anywhere. The tapes are thin, and the adhesive is anemic unfortunately, so I'm still not too sure how much I am going to like the tapes. Their weakness allows them to be removed and repositioned a time or two if you are careful though, so this could be a plus.

Overall I am actually not incredibly disappointed in Depends for the first time in a very long time.

While not perfect, they have really come a long way in the last few years since I purchased them previously. I think their nicer features will make them a good candidate to stack and stuff with, since their shell is quite nice, and they fit well. That being said, the capacity shows that they are still cheap on the stuffing, but considering that they didn't leak on the first wetting after sitting, laying, and rolling around after being wet, I will call it acceptable performance. The padding seems to hold together for a while, but I can see that walking very far would probably change that.

Pros
    • Soft, but crinkly, white plastic shell.
    • Breathable standing leak guards in addition to leg gathers.
    • Elastic waist bands front and rear.

Cons
    • Dismal rapid absorbtion performance.
    • Low overall capacity.
    • Still feel kinda thin.

I plan on experimenting with some different stuffers with these in the near future.

-J

I dunno, they look like the usual depend fitted briefs to me. The new packaging has been out for a while I think, maybe about a year or so.

I've been a periodic user of these for some time. They haven't really changed much. Not to be a broken record, but I think they're fine as a low capacity, retail available diaper, particularly if you're keen on a plastic shell (which I am). They certainly don't compare to the high end ones available online, but I think they're good enough for certain uses.

Solid review, though.

They do look like the same diaper in last years packaging. Good review though, it's either these or attends breathables for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    I dunno, they look like the usual depend fitted briefs to me. The new packaging has been out for a while I think, maybe about a year or so.
    D'oh! Shows how much I get out. Oh well, I guess I documented them for posterity then lol. The last time I can think of Depends I didn't recall them having any of the features, and I remember really hating them. I've been buying online for years now.

I did not purchase any Depends for several years. Then they were trash. I did for some reason pick up a package when they were $7 off. I must say they seem better. Not as good as my Tenas but better than previous Depends. I even bough two more packs. At 50 cent a diaper it is pretty good.

Default that are same

ya your in the same boat i am in. I use to get the depends in med but now i have to go large and they are really big it seams like all they did what change the sides of the brief i wish that they would go back to the old sizing.

Those look like the Depends I bought in 2006. They were pretty decent. I liked the refastenable tapes (I didn't have issues with them popping off). The standing leak guards were a welcome touch, and the soft plastic was nice. Capacity is OK (1, maybe 2, wettings) but not astounding, especially for the price.

I bought another pack of Depends in 2007 and the green leak guards and waist band had been changed to white, the plastic was much thinner and more crinkly, and the tapes were no longer refastenable. I'm not sure which is the 'newer model'; one of the two packs could have been old stock on the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    Those look like the Depends I bought in 2006. They were pretty decent. I liked the refastenable tapes (I didn't have issues with them popping off). The standing leak guards were a welcome touch, and the soft plastic was nice. Capacity is OK (1, maybe 2, wettings) but not astounding, especially for the price.

I bought another pack of Depends in 2007 and the green leak guards and waist band had been changed to white, the plastic was much thinner and more crinkly, and the tapes were no longer refastenable. I'm not sure which is the 'newer model'; one of the two packs could have been old stock on the shelves.
    Yeah, the main reason I thought they were new is that, like a previous poster, I thought that they had been discontinued. Then out of no-where they show up in a local store that I know did not carry them before even though they carry pretty much the full Depend line-up.