Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much hardware do you need for Second Life?

Butterfly Mage

Default How much hardware do you need for Second Life?

I need to herbs new computer because Second Life raised their minimum system requirements high enough that I can no longer log in. Right now, I'm using a netbook, so I don't have a very powerful rig.

I'm looking at a laptop that has an ATI Radeon 4330 HD graphics chipset (512 Mb RAM). Will this be enough? What are some decent choices that don't cost a huge amount of money?

my experience is that you can even run it under the minimum requirements... I had a crappy laptop and it couldn't run SL on their official viewer, but with hippo opensim viewer it ran perfectly on the lowest settings.

Butterfly Mage

Quote Originally Posted by kevintje View Post
    my experience is that you can even run it under the minimum requirements... I had a crappy laptop and it couldn't run SL on their official viewer, but with hippo opensim viewer it ran perfectly on the lowest settings.
    I'm downloading it now. I'm crossing my fingers

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

No dice. I still got the "Second Life cannon start" message. Damn.

too bad , well if you ARE going to look for new parts, be sure to take good stuff, secondlife is really SO much nicer when run on ultra settings (especially sky/water effects)

A netbook? Running that pig of a program? You need lots or RAM and a great internet connection.

Butterfly Mage

Heh heh... Tell me about it! I just hate heavy computers. Oh well.

Build a desk top. Or buy one and a cheep monitor. They are a lot cheaper then laptops. Also since you have a netbook it allows on the go internet browsing. Which really is all you need out of a netbook if you have a desktop. Also if you get a file transfer cable you will be able to transfer needed files to your laptop if need be.

Why would he need a file transfer cable o.O. If he has a netbook, chances are he has a wireless router, which would then mean he'd have a modem. Then just network em -_-. Why would you want to connect each computer to each other is beyond me or am I missing what you're saying lol.

Also, build the computer, buy a pre-built and I'll come hurt you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post

Also, build the computer, buy a pre-built and I'll come hurt you.

I'm looking at a laptop
    Now, how often do we see hand-built notebooks?