Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car audio help

Default Car audio help

I have a Kenwood KDCx791 player. It's suppose to have mp3 player hooks up through either Aux or USB. My mp3 player is a Creative Zen Vision:M. I can hook it up by usb but the player goes into "dock" mode where you can't do anything on the actual mp3 player. Navigating on the indash deck is a pain in the ass when dealing with mp3s. On top of that it doesn't resume play. If the car is turned off and then turned on ...the current track starts over. Really really annoying.

I rather have it hooked up by Aux but it's not working for some reason. I looked all over the net before I started posting to frequent boards. I've come up empty so far which leaves me with no other option but to talk to a professional. Any help appreciated in the meantime.

I just use the audio in jack since it works with everything..

Ever play a DS game with car audio? I have.. audio is still horrible. :P

Are you actually able to select the "AUX" source in the menu? If not, it may need to be enabled from somewhere in the deck's settings - I know I had to do this with my Pioneer deck in order to enable the aux input.

Also, you have a 3.5mm male to male cable plugged into the back of the deck, correct? Did you check to see if it came unplugged when the deck was installed? I've had that happen if the plug doesn't sit firmly enough.

I would only use an FM transmitter as a last resort. Yes, they are easy and convenient, but you will lose sound quality (depending on how much you care about that). FM radio, even with the best possible transmitter and reception, still sounds nowhere near as good as a directly connected source.

Loopygone

Yea the FM transmitters aren't a great solution. Sadly in my car I got the standard radio that comes with it, with no AUX input. So I use an fm transmitter, sometimes it can be overcome by radio stations, usually when you're doing 80 on the Mway moving about the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Yea the FM transmitters aren't a great solution. Sadly in my car I got the standard radio that comes with it, with no AUX input. So I use an fm transmitter, sometimes it can be overcome by radio stations, usually when you're doing 80 on the Mway moving about the country.
    Cassette or CD player? Believe it or not, a proper cassette adapter can sound much better than an FM transmitter...

other option is if your head unit is capable of handling a CD changer, you can get an aux adapter from PIE, this is how i hooked up my XM radio to my factory head unit in my 02 taurus

Quote Originally Posted by diapernh View Post
    other option is if your head unit is capable of handling a CD changer, you can get an aux adapter from PIE, this is how i hooked up my XM radio to my factory head unit in my 02 taurus
    Good point. I forgot about those..very handy when you want to keep the factory deck

Loopygone

CD player sadly, My sister has a cassette adapter....
    FM transmitter sounds better imo, but still not perfect. Want a new stereo at somepoint anyways, it just means getting a dash replacement.

My stock radio doesn't have an aux input either. 2005 vibe. It was used so yea. I took my fm transmitter and it has a aux input on it. Plug it into the cig. lighter and then the 3.5mm to the mp3 player and tune it. I find it works a LOT better than just the fm transmitting.